Newbie boat discussion

Started by Hodgey1, August 15, 2017, 09:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

puckster_guy

Quote from: T-Bone on September 05, 2017, 11:42:12 AM
Quote from: Hodgey1 on September 01, 2017, 03:45:18 PM
It's official, I now own a sweet boat for Kipawa! Picked it up today, couldn't be much happier. Well, maybe if I could get away next week with it to fish Kipawa, would make me happier? 

Look at you go, Hodge! Wow! No more wobbles and breaking rods...  ;D

Man gets bit by Kipawa...buys boat. You're a man of action....nice work. Can't wait to see it next July...

T-Bone.

He'll be buying a camp next....
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Fort Wisers

Quote from: puckster_guy on September 07, 2017, 07:13:58 AM
Quote from: T-Bone on September 05, 2017, 11:42:12 AM
Quote from: Hodgey1 on September 01, 2017, 03:45:18 PM
It's official, I now own a sweet boat for Kipawa! Picked it up today, couldn't be much happier. Well, maybe if I could get away next week with it to fish Kipawa, would make me happier? 

Look at you go, Hodge! Wow! No more wobbles and breaking rods...  ;D

Man gets bit by Kipawa...buys boat. You're a man of action....nice work. Can't wait to see it next July...

T-Bone.

Bahahahaha aint that the truth

limacharley

[/quote]

I'm sure he'll have to buy his wife something sparkly first.
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

Hodgey1

Quote from: puckster_guy on September 07, 2017, 07:13:58 AM

Quote from: Fort Wisers on September 07, 2017, 10:20:34 AM
Bahahahaha aint that the truth

Quote from: limacharley on September 07, 2017, 10:57:22 AM
I'm sure he'll have to buy his wife something sparkly first.

If I lived 300 or 400 miles closer...............  :D

My wife "I think  ??? "would actually see the idea of a camp as something sparkly.
Walleye Rock!

Hodgey1

What is the best anchor for me to use while at Kipawa for the 17' Lund?

I've had the suggestion to use a piece of scrap iron for a anchor while at Kipawa, so when unretrievable there's not a monetary lose. Problem is my lack of accesess to such material. So what a good commercially available anchor? I currently have a cheap Danforth.
Walleye Rock!

T-Bone

Quote from: Hodgey1 on September 07, 2017, 11:56:40 AM
I've had the suggestion to use a piece of scrap iron for a anchor while at Kipawa, so when unretrievable there's not a monetary lose.

Yeah...and when the winds and current pick-up I'll wave as you go floating by as I'm locked tight to the honey hole. I've lost one anchor in 17 years of fishing Kipawa, but have been caught-up many, many times.

15 pound navy or mushroom, or a 14 pound Richter will set you up right; most important thing for getting out a stuck anchor is to be sure you have adequate chain, strong set of u-bolts, and 100' of thick / soft rope. Thickness for strength, softness of comfort in retrieval. Don't buy poly/plastic rope...go with unicord.
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Canuckbass

Anchor getting stuck really sucks, but taking your time and using big motor pulling from opposite way usually wiggles it out.
Strong u-bolts is key and I usually use a piece of chain about two feet attached to bolt. Stops breaking rope rubbing on rocks etc.
Mushroom anchor is good or I make my own.

Balsams

Re the trim - I think it's trim up (bow up) when throttle up. You'll get us to when it's too much trim...what is the fine line for optimum riding at speed. For long runs, and gas consumption in mind, someone told me 3500 to 4000 rpm.

Hodgey1

After reading reviews of the Richter anchor, I ordered one with 4 foot of chain & shackles and 100' 3/8 anchor rope. I really like the design on the Richter where the chain can slide to allow it to be pulled from the opposite direction if stuck.
Walleye Rock!

Hodgey1

New boat report ;D

This Lund 1650 Rebel seems to have been built with Kipawa in mind. What a sweet ride. My wife and I spent four days on Kipawa and couldn't have been more pleased. The flat floor areas make it so nice to walk around and basically fish anywhere on the boat. Comfortable seats, Live well was real handy, plenty of storage and boat seemed very stable on plane. The wide beam really helped anchored stability, I never had the wobbles back on shore like I had every time after a few hours in the tinner.

The 60 hp motor was plenty and don't think it would need much more. It came up on plane in seconds. I have studied up on the rpm's and Mercury published the max rpm's at 5500-6000. When pushed to full throttle, the gauge read 6200, I backed it down to 6000 and checked the gps speed at 34mph. I typically kept the sustained rpm's at 5200 which gave us a nice cruising speed of 26mph. The water was pretty smooth all week so I didn't get much chance to test her for rough water.

The Garmin Stiker worked well but has some short comings. The pluses are the sonar works great marking fish and the gps also worked well for marking favorite spots and returning to them later. It really needs background maps like in the car versions and I understand that the newer models have that capability. The other complaint is no ability to save a track? You can save waypoints and create a route from them but the track would be so much nicer, if once the track was finished you could save it, but nowhere could I find that in the manual or while using the menus.

Minn Kota trolling motor worked sweet, since the waters were mostly calm, I would not anchor a lot and use the minn Kota to bring us back to our target depth. I have to say, the i pilot would make a world of difference, I think that will be one of my first up grades.

All in all, wow. My Wife enjoyed it and so did I, so much we booked a full week together next September.  ;D
Walleye Rock!

RHYBAK

Good for you.
Enjoy

You should look into the Garmin further.
There has to be a way to keep the tracking.
Mine does.
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Canuckbass

I believe the Stryker is their entry level before the bigger units with all the bells and whistles. I'm not a Garmin guy.
How is their mapping versus a Humminbird? I know they are still working on Canadian mapping.0

Hodgey1

Quote from: RHYBAK on September 19, 2017, 07:27:39 AM
You should look into the Garmin further.
There has to be a way to keep the tracking.
Mine does.
I'll keep looking, thanks!

Quote from: Canuckbass on September 19, 2017, 12:44:48 PM
I believe the Stryker is their entry level before the bigger units with all the bells and whistles. I'm not a Garmin guy.
How is their mapping versus a Humminbird? I know they are still working on Canadian mapping.0

I just looked at Garmin and the low end unit that does both Sonar and Chartplotting was $1500usd  :o so the one I have is just a sonar unit.
Walleye Rock!

RHYBAK

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Hodgey1

Walleye Rock!