2017 Kipawa Boys Trip Aug 20-22

Started by WillageD, September 03, 2017, 09:56:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillageD

August 20-22 was this years "boys trip" to my family camp. Our camp is located on the big water closest to the town of Kipawa, Lac Green. This year we had 7 guys spread over 3 boats- this report is based off the results of the boat I was personally fishing out of.

Left home Sunday morning around 730am, picking up a couple buddies along the way. Our truck was responsible for the grocery shop so we stopped at Freshco in North bay to grab the camps food and supplies for the week and we were off. Stopped at the Chevier just as you arrive into Temiscaming for beer and licenses for my buddies... no licenses... so we head to pro nature.... not open until 11.... so we carry on to Kipawa Bait and Tackle... not open Sundaysfor the rest of the season starting that day- what luck!... try Migiztsy... no licenses... by now it's 1045 so we double back to Temiscaming and FINALLY get my buddies their licenses at a now open ProNature... while their we find out the convience store next door "Stop 102" sells licenses- could have saved an hour of running around had we checked there earlier. Ah well, off to fishing!! Launch the boat, drop bags and groceries off at camp and it's finally time to wet a line.

Head out for a quick laker troll using lead core and dipsy divers (not together lol) and have some success landing 7 lakers over about 2 hours of fishing. Lakers were caught with lures about 50' down over 70-80 ft of water. Back to camp for an early dinner and out to our walleye shoal for the evening bite. We tried bottom bouncing at first but it was quite rough making boat control hard, so we decided to switch to jigging. I did land one keeper while bottom bouncing. Once we switched to jigging the fishing turned on and we landed 31 walleye. Keepers were tough to come by but we did manage 4 keepers for the evening fish fry. Fish were caught on jigs with worms in about 20' of water.

Up early for day 2 and an early walleye bite. This morning was not as productive as the previous evening as we landed only 11 walleye. After breakfast we headed back to the laker troll and landed 6 more lake trout. Quick lunch break at camp and back to our laker troll.. things really slowed down, lakers were becoming few and far between, we attributed this shut down to the fact this was a shot run and we had been pressuring it hard by all 3 boats in the last 2 days. I suggested we try another shore line which I had been meaning to try over the years- we headed over and did it ever pay off- we landed 18 lakers on the new stretch over just a couple hours of trolling. JACKPOT! When the evening rolled around we headed back out to the walleye shoal and landed 17 walleye. Most under the slot. Back to the cabin for a nice steak dinner and another fish fry.

Thunderstorms rolled in over night and put a damper on our morning walleye bite. So we ate breakfast and waited the weather out... by about 930 we were able to get out for one last laker troll- thunder and lightening had quit but it was still raining hard, nothing a little Gore-Tex can't take care of. We trolled the new shoreline again and boated another 12 lake trout. Thunder and lightening started up once again and we were off the lake. Time to clean up camp and back home for another year.

Totals for my boat;

59 Walleye- average 13-14"- largest 17"... tough going for size this trip.

43 Lake trout- average 21-22"- largest 27"

We were the most successful boat over the trip but the other boats did relatively well too, but also struggled to find sizeable walleye.

All in all another great trip. Good fishing, food and most importantly good company.

Jay Thomas

Thanks for your report WillageD. Your lake trout fishing was quite successful. In that regard, what lures were doing the trick? Thanks in advance.

Jay

WillageD

Quote from: Jay Thomas on September 04, 2017, 11:06:43 AM
Thanks for your report WillageD. Your lake trout fishing was quite successful. In that regard, what lures were doing the trick? Thanks in advance.

Jay

We used a mixture of spoons and body baits. Blues and purples always produce for us as far as colour. Although my dad swears by and does quite well with an old fashion red devil spoon.

Hodgey1

Sounds like a great trip Will. Your trout catch was awesome!
Walleye Rock!