11-19 Aug at Club Trout Lake

Started by Jay Thomas, August 21, 2017, 04:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Thomas

Four of us departed Ottawa about 9:30 AM on Friday 11 Aug. We reached our destination (Club Trout Lake Main Lodge) around 7:45 PM. After a short visit with Noel, Luis and Danny, we headed off to bed full of high expectations for the week ahead. After a hearty breakfast at 7:30 AM, we loaded our boats and commenced our journey to our lake for the week. After our arrival at our cabin, we set up the cabin, put our groceries away, put together our respective rod and reel combinations, had a small snack for lunch and then wet some lines.

Fish didn’t jump into the boat anytime throughout the week. Catching and harvesting walleye was hampered for a few days after thunderstorms on Monday and Tuesday. Most walleye were caught on the bottom in water between 18 and 25 feet deep. We spent two unsuccessful afternoons using dipsy divers for lake trout. Using Dipsy Divers was new for all of us and we all have more to learn to garner success. We enjoyed two walleye meals while in camp and we each brought home walleye to share with family.

We overnighted in Témiscaming at the Auberge on Saturday 19 Aug. As we approached the Auberge bar, I noticed a Texas licence plate on a vehicle towing a Giesler boat. So when I entered the bar, I asked if anyone in the bar was named SgtCrabby? SgtCrabby stepped forward. So I was fortunate to meet SgtCrabby, Dog, Flag and SgtCrabby’s step son. Glad I had the opportunity to meet you guys. Hope you have a great trip again on Ogascanan.

We arrived home safe and sound Sunday 20 Aug at 1 PM. My fishing partners and I will rest up a bit and then start packing for our second trip in a few weeks.

Jay

CaptainCrappie

Good trip Admiral.  How'd you get em on the bottom?  Slip bobbering, trolling with bouncers, jigging?

C.C.
You don't get these days back.  Live each day as if it were your last and one day you will be right.

Jay Thomas

Quote from: CaptainCrappie on August 21, 2017, 05:07:19 PM
Good trip Admiral.  How'd you get em on the bottom?  Slip bobbering, trolling with bouncers, jigging?C.C.

Hi CaptainCrappie,

No slip bobbering at all this trip. When we bottom bounced with crawlers/leeches, leeches seemed to get more hits. When we weren't bottom bouncing, we were jigging with crawlers/leeches. We also enjoyed some moderate success jigging Authentx Pulse-R paddle tails (3.25").

Jay

Oarin

Thanks Jay, glad you guys had a great trip.

T-Bone

Nice report Jay...thanks. Sounds like it may have been a bit of a tough week. We also found the 'eyes on the bottom, but also suspended. More fish closer to the bottom in my estimation. If we weren't snagging, we weren't catching much it seemed.

Good luck on your next trip.
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Hodgey1

Quote from: Jay Thomas on August 21, 2017, 04:32:33 PM
My fishing partners and I will rest up a bit and then start packing for our second trip in a few weeks.

Glad you enjoyed your trip, wish I were going up for a second!
Walleye Rock!

Fishn Deep

Hi Jay,

WHAT lake did you fish on at Noels place? We had really good trip there in late June. Have not had time to post report yet.

Jay Thomas

Quote from: Fishn Deep on August 24, 2017, 11:04:48 PM
Hi Jay,

WHAT lake did you fish on at Noels place? We had really good trip there in late June. Have not had time to post report yet.

Sent you a PM

Greg

Great report Jay.  Soooo jealous that you are getting up North for a 2nd trip!

Have fun!!!
Greg

SgtCrabby

Thanks for a good report, both here and the important condensed one you gave us at the Auberge - fish at 19-20 fow on the bottom!  That's were we found them before cold rains dropped the water temps.

It was great to meet you face to face. 
I was surprised when I heard someone asking for SgtCrabby in the bar, in my crew I'm just Crab.  But I knew it had to be someone from the board here that saw my truck (and tags).  We enjoyed the conversations.