3 Seasons July 28th - August 12

Started by JigginFool, August 21, 2017, 09:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JigginFool

Another very enjoyable and successful year.
On Friday July 28th we packed the truck and got to bed around 9:00 PM setting the alarm for 2:00 AM.  We got up Saturday, hooked up the boat packed the cold items and were on the road by 4:00 AM, across the boarder and through customs by 4:50.  I don't know how I did it after all the times up there but I missed the 400 exit off the ETR, oh well it's vacation and we have 2 weeks, no reason to get upset.
We made the 1st rest area on the 400 at 7:15, north bay at 10:10 and picked up a 1/2 pound of leaches at trout lake.  On to Temiscaming to pick up more leaches at Pro Nature, extra beer at 102 and last minute food at IGA, especially ice cream for our son.  We then called Reggie at 12:10 and off to the landing and in camp by 2:00.  After a steak dinner and a passing storm off I went fishing, my wife and son decided to stay back and rest.
Well, rule number one, make sure you know the size limit.  I don't know why but I thought the minimum was 15.5" so I kept tossing everything back keeping 2 over 16", well that was 11 keepers for another day but still a great night of fishing, and better than the fishing was the sunset.

The remainder of the first week we did very well still fishing and also trolling.  Usually I do better on leaches than worms, this year just the opposite, my wife and son were killing me on worms as I fought for a fish on a leach so I had to switch.  My son who half the time would rather play than fish did better than my wife and I the one night catching 3 nice keepers and a nice bass.

The first week we wanted to have a shore dinner on picnic island but there was already a boat there with a bunch of people so we went to our back up spot in Loon Bay.  I know a lot of people think it's too much work to do it, but I wouldn't give up doing it.  We wanted to have a couple more but the weather didn't cooperate.

The second week it was great to see all our friends when they came into camp and to catch up.  I think it rained every day but never a washout, we were always able to get out fishing.  Even though it rained it didn't bother our son.

We did a lot more trolling this year since I bought a new 6 HP Yamaha 4-stroke, much nicer then the old smokey 2-stroke I had.  We caught nicer fishing trolling harnesses with my wife catching several in the 19-21" range and 2 that were 24", her largest yet, and a 25" and 33" northern

The Thursday before we left I went out after a thunder storm by myself thinking it probably turned the fish off, I couldn't have been more wrong.  2 minutes into my first pass trolling I pulled in a 19 1/2" walleye, then every pass after that I picked up another one between 17-19".  After about a dozen walleye trolling I figured I'd try to still fish for a while, big mistake, several hits but couldn't hook them.  So before heading back for the night I figured one more pass trolling and again within a few minutes I caught my biggest walleye yet, 27 1/2".

Just a few more pics"

Most fish were in the 18-24' depth, caught more on worms than leaches and larger fish trolling.
Well, another year down with hopefully many more to come. 
Our thanks to Reggie for making this another awesome, enjoyable and memorable 2 weeks.

Jay Thomas

Thanks for your report and pictures. You caught some nice walleye. Congrats!

Jay

T-Bone

Wow...those 'eyes are some whoppers. Nice work...and thanks for the report.
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

getthenet

Hodgey1

Nice report and even nicer fish! Also very envious, two weeks in the wilderness would do a body/mind good.
Walleye Rock!

limacharley

That was a great report. Thanks for that. And the pictures do tell a story. Looks like some dandy fish were caught.
What color worm harnesses seem to work best?
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

JigginFool

@limacharley - When I get a chance I can post a picture of the ones we used.

JigginFool

These are the 2 harnesses we did the best on.

I tie my own harness, the other ones I did good on are the Warden Walleye Delights.  I buy the components and tie them myself.

http://www.yakimabait.com/products/walleye-delight-w-tandem-hooks/

puckster_guy

Hey what a great trip. I might be converted to using the harnesses more. A couple of friends from work came up to my camp and caught a ton on them. Do you drift or troll?
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

JigginFool

We troll them as slow as we can go with 3-4 large split shots about 3' up from the harness.  I bought a new 6 hp Yamaha 4 stroke just before going up this year to replace my 2 stroke Evinrude and I'm glad I did, it made trolling much more enjoyable.

BH

Looks like a great a time was had by your family and that the techniques you used were quite effective.  Thanks for sharing (especially the harness image).
Love fishing