Dog's Paddle

Started by Dog, May 05, 2014, 10:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fort Wisers

Quote from: Dog on April 06, 2016, 07:48:39 AM
@Fort Wisers
Brent, a Swift Canoe is on my short list... with the friendly exchange rate it may be time to pull the trigger this year while north of the border... do you like yours? I'm eyeing up the Temagami model

feel free to PM or email me your thoughts...
Thanks, nate
Hey Nate @Dog
Yeah we love the Swift, it's ultra stable, it tips over really nicely for solo paddling and its tough.
The only "complaint" (if you can call it that) is it's a tad heavy for a canoe this size.
BUT, we'll take the extra weight that comes along with the extra durability and stability.
Especially when paddling in Kipawa proper where storms blow up fast and furious.
Our other canoe is a Evergreen Prospector.
Its about the same length (very slightly longer) as the Swift but it's a bit lighter, nice for portaging but not as nice in the wind.
The evergreen also has higher swept bow and stern features which tend to catch a tad more wind than the lower, flatter features of the Swift.

This all being said, we bought our Kipawa used.
It's an old school fiberglass, which I don't think Swift even does anymore.
So your Temagami will be lighter.
The Temagami looks really nice too!
Good luck....

You'll love the lower

Dog

Ironic you state one of the drawbacks of the Swift is the weight... That's the only reason I'm even considering dropping so much coin on a canoe... because a swift will be 30-40 lbs lighter than old town model I'm looking at: http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/canoes/recreation/discovery_133/

hmm...
One more cast...

Fort Wisers

yeah the poly boats are notoriously heavy, tough as nails though!
But going from that material to even fiberglass and you'll feel like you're paddling a speed boat!

And sorry, just to be clear, we've never found the extra weight to be a problem at all, it's not a lot heavier than the other canoe.
You just tend to notice when portaging or heaving it onto the truck that it is slightly heavier.
Also, perhaps the bow stern design contribute more to the kipawa's ability to not get pushed around in the wind than the actual weight.
When I say it's heavier, it's probably 5 lbs heavier?
We just found it odd initially since it is slightly shorter than our other canoe (until we realized we were comparing fiberglass to kevlar).

Bennythebushman

I have a guide 147. I was just thinking that I should replace the plastic seats with something more useful! Thanks for the inspiration.
Take care,
The Bushman

"Just when they think they got the answers, I change the questions!" -Rowdy Roddy Piper

SgtCrabby

I've had a 17ft, double end, aluminum, 70 lb, Lowe canoe since 1973.
The high ends did catch the wind,  but it is tougher than nails.  Only a few minor dings/dents after all these years.

Fort Wisers

Quote from: SgtCrabby on May 15, 2016, 09:34:42 PM
I've had a 17ft, double end, aluminum, 70 lb, Lowe canoe since 1973.
The high ends did catch the wind,  but it is tougher than nails.  Only a few minor dings/dents after all these years.

I don't care what anyone says, aluminum canoes are as good as it gets for toughness!
Sure they weigh more, but if rock solid dependability while bashing against rocks and dragging through swamps is what you're after, none of these fancy high end materials can hold a flame to aluminum.
And lets face it:
Scratches and gouges on a fiber or kevlar canoe gelcoat = hideous (yes ours have lots).
Scratches and dents on an aluminum canoe = character built from adventure

Bravo good sir....

Fort Wisers

@Dog,
You get your new canoe yet?

Dog

Quote from: Fort Wisers on May 31, 2016, 01:57:46 PM
@Dog,
You get your new canoe yet?

No sir. I had planned to pick up a new one after we got settled in Texas but just no time to use one so have been holding off. If the job settles down a bit maybe in the future I'll pick one up.
One more cast...