Alwaki Sept 2 - 9

Started by GregL, September 12, 2017, 12:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregL

Man!!! What a week! Normally, it's just my wife and I on week long fishing vacations. This time her sister (Jackie), brother (Jim) and his wife (Kathy) came along for the fun.
So much more fun to have spent the week with family!

5 people , 5 dogs ..good times HAHA!

If I had to guess at the fish count in my boat alone we had to have broke the 300 mark. We had one slow morning, of course it was the day we chose for a shore lunch! Between our 2 boats we manage enough for a great lunch. Mornings tended to be a little slower depending where we tried but evenings were always on fire. Our fish sizes ranged from 14" up to 24" with Jackie & Kathy catching the 2 biggest fish a 24" and a 22".

We caught fish on jigs, slip bobbers, plastics & crankbaits.

Nobody landed any pike although Jim had a big pike hit a 14" walleye he was reeling in, we saw his rod double over, very cool!. Jackie caught a huge red sucker.

Here is a sampling of fish we caught this week.

I picked up a few new jigging rods for our trip. I gotta say these are by far the best rods I've ever fished with. They are so sensitive, I can feel an 1/8 oz jig on bottom in 25' + water in a wind!!! Tina, Jackie & myself were all fishing with these rods! I'm convinced they helped us detect the very light bite we experienced most of the week.

Mid week we had a fantastic shore lunch!

Frying up some walleye wings, while waiting for the veggies to cook.. YUM!!!

Shore Lunch in progress:

By the time I had cooked the fish, I had to beat the group back, so I could take this great picture of everybody together with full plates not empty ones HAHAHA!

Jackie was the walleye whisper this week, she put Tina and I to shame, filling her limit with 18 & 19" fish!!! Tina's largest was just shy of 18 and mine was 19.5".

We had one morning/afternoon that was clear, hot and calm so we broke out the planner boards and trolled. This is when Jackie picked up a very fiesty 24" walleye.

My black lab (Tango) always with the watchful eye on the board for me :)

Jackie's Dog (Buddy) helping Tango watch the board.. These 2 dogs were fish crazy all week, everybody on the lake knew when fish were coming in on our boat HAHA!

Jackie's nice 24" fish, came on the outside board 25' feet down. In the bow of our boat is my old girl Suzy, she spent the week there soaking up the weather and napping.

Jackie with another 19" fish!!

Jackie even caught a tag walleye this week!

While watching the storm come upon us, we caught so many like this. Running home in a hail storm sucked tho! I got a very chunky 19 incher this night but it flipped out of the boat on me when I was going to put in the live well! Needless to say my partners were not happy with me and called me butter fingers for the rest of the week HAHAHA!
This is the only fish picture I got and Tina got none. We did not feel worthy, after watching Jackie reel in the big ones HAHA!

We met some of really nice couples, they remain nameless as I'm not sure they want to be mentioned the forum :) If your reading this, thank you so much for showing us that spot and the lesson on Lakers!!! but mostly thank you for all the laughs! Good times guys & gals!

Had a ton of laughs, I think my stomach still hurts from laughing. They were so nice and guided us to a stop that tended to hold larger fish, we had an amazing morning!

What a beautiful morning to head out!

Last Kipawa sunset for the year!! Come on spring!!

That's it for this trip! Thank you Brian & Tina for a great week! Can't wait to come back, I think I found heaven!!!!

kipawa4

It was great to meet you and your family Greg!  Maybe next time I will get to talk to you a little more. Instead of when we are all leaving!

T-Bone

Nice report...I recognize some of those locations. Always good fishing around there...and always a great time at Alwaki Lodge. Can't wait...I leave for an abbreviated trip #2 a week from Thursday!

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Greg

Awesome pictures - congrats on a successful trip.  Excellent K9 companions in the boat also!!

Jighead

Great report...TBone you will need the wood burner going in another week. Have a great trip. Weather should be nice and cool...

Oarin

Great report and pictures! In one of them it looks like your Lab is mad that you got out fished by your wife! I bet the dogs had as much fun or more than you all did. They're great companions to have along. Thanks for the report.

GregL

Thanks all :) Was a great week!!

I don't go anywhere without my dogs. Tango loves the boat, I'm sure would prefer to be bird hunting, but she'll take fish HAHA! Suzy acts like she doesn't but she enjoys here blanket, fresh air and the shore lunches :)

Now my focus goes to my new garage build, we break ground tomorrow!!!

It's been a 2 year struggle to get permits. I see a full windshield walleye boat in my future, now that we will have somewhere to store it :)

Nancy

Awesome report, great pics, and the pics of the dogs are priceless.

limacharley

Darn great report with pictures, I like that.
Those look like some pretty nice fish. Glad someone else besides us eat the gullets.
We didn't get a chance to meet but drop by to let your dogs run whenever you want. I've got a wide open space with plenty of trails.
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

GregL

Quote from: limacharley on September 14, 2017, 10:03:40 AM
Darn great report with pictures, I like that.
Those look like some pretty nice fish. Glad someone else besides us eat the gullets.
We didn't get a chance to meet but drop by to let your dogs run whenever you want. I've got a wide open space with plenty of trails.

Hi Limacharley,

Yup, I collect those walleye gullets which we call "Walleye Chins" like trading cards.. so good battered and deep fried! I will clean
everybody's fish in my group just to collect them HAHA!

We will definitely pop by next year, thank you so much sharing your property!!! :)

Hodgey1

Great report Greg. I have two labs, I'm not sure I could keep them in the boat if I took them ;D

Can you tell me what the gullet is?
Walleye Rock!