ZEC Kipawa 6-13 Sep

Started by Jay Thomas, September 14, 2017, 10:35:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Thomas

Returned home yesterday from a week of walleye fishing in ZEC Kipawa. Weather was cold , windy and rainy the first half of the week. In fact, we never left the cabin one day because the rollers were of the 2 foot variety. However, the last half of the week was sunny and warm (21 degrees C (70 degrees F)) with little wind. We found walleye between 26 and 32 FOW. Crawlers were our only live bait. I enjoyed some success with Authentx plastics on jigs. Although we spent a few afternoons fishing for lake trout with dipsy divers and lures, we only managed to land two 24 inch lake trout. We marked most of the lake trout between 60 and 120 FOW. No doubt we should have switched to jigging for the lake trout. We enjoyed two walleye meals while in camp and we each brought home a few walleye to share with family. So that's it - my two walleye trips are in the books and like everyone else, I have to look forward to next year. For those with trips to come, tight lines.

Jay

fishtildark

Jay , thanks for the report. Were you on one of the other lakes other than Kipawa?
So many lures and so little time.

Oarin

Thanks Jay, glad you guys had a good trip.

Nancy

Thanks for the report, Jay. Interesting read about the Authentx. Just watched a video. May have to take a serious look at them for next year. Oh dear, it has already started.

SgtCrabby

Thanks for your report. 
Sounds like the fish went deeper since I was up last month.
I think I know which lake you were on, only because you mentioned it when we talked at the Aubruge.

GregL

T-Bone

Quote from: Jay Thomas on September 14, 2017, 10:35:52 AM
Weather was cold , windy and rainy the first half of the week. In fact, we never left the cabin one day because the rollers were of the 2 foot variety.

Whew...that's a bummer, but it sounds like you salvaged the trip on the back half. Thanks for the report Jay....always appreciated.

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Hodgey1

Sorry the weather didn't cooperate, still sounds like a good trip Jay.
Walleye Rock!

Balsams

Jay, was this your trip to Serg's? Would appreciate if you could describe specific spots and patterns that worked for you. Been considering a Sept trip over the years rather than Spring...would you suggest it? Funny the reason why we consider is to potentially avoid unpredictable weather......

johnny walleye

Jay Thomas

Quote from: Balsams on September 18, 2017, 09:21:40 PMJay, was this your trip to Serg's? Would appreciate if you could describe specific spots and patterns that worked for you. Been considering a Sept trip over the years rather than Spring...would you suggest it? Funny the reason why we consider is to potentially avoid unpredictable weather......

Sent you a PM.

Jay