News:

Upgraded to SMF 2.1.4
We hope you like the new look and feel!

Main Menu

Lake Ogascanan 20-27 August

Started by Dog, September 17, 2017, 06:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dog

Patience, ladies and gentlemen... go get your popcorn and beverage of choice prepared while I finish up the trip report....

One more cast...

Hodgey1

I now know why your trip reports so late........... You're still tired from the drive  ;D I look forward to reading it!
Walleye Rock!

SgtCrabby

I like that excuse Hodgey ;
  We might just use it !   😊

Dog

Ok. what photo sharing sites are people using so pictures can be embeded into the reports now that photobucket decided to charge money?
One more cast...

smitty55

Imgur has been simple and flawless for me since I switched. Go for it.

Cheers

Dog

@SgtCrabby can you post the trip report this year? If you wait for me to do it, it may not happen until feb or mar...

One more cast...

johnny walleye

SAME FOR ME HOPE TO FINSH MINE BEFOR CHRISTMAS.

SgtCrabby

This report is a joint effort.      Pictures are not in it at this time because I couldn't figure that out right now; if/when I do, this will get modified to include them.

This year marks the 10th consecutive Canadian Family Fishing Trip of the modern era
For 2017 we once again went north to Lake Ogasanan, Quebec.
20 -27 August Smith Pass Outpost Cabin, Lake Ogascanan
Participants: Flag, Crab, Dog & WhateverHisNameIs (aka WHNI;  the fisherman formerly known as Smalls

Introduction
We met at the lakehouse via plane, train and automobile from DFW and Pittsburgh areas. As usual the hospitality was amazing and provided for more than ample food and beverage while taking in the sunset over the lake and having a relaxing prep session for the early morning departure the following day.
With Liberty Call hooked up to Thor, all four of us piled into a single vehicle (for only the 2nd time for our trips) and headed north with all the usual stops along the way. By 1800 we were pulling into the Auberge Canadienne in Temiscaming for Checkin and a relaxing evening after a long day on the road.
We didn’t even have a Bleue in hand yet and @Jay Thomas came walking up to us in the Auberge. He had seen a Texas tagged truck with a Pennsylvania registered cedar strip boat attached in the parking lot.  We heard a “Is there a SgtCrabby here?” We turn around and see a distinguished gentleman.  It turns out he and his crew were on their way out for the week and were also staying the night. It is always a pleasure to get to meet fellow fisherman who share the passion for Kipawa in person. Good times (especially with zero bugs the entire week!)

Sunday, 20 August 2017
After filling up with a delicious Auberge breakfast we were off like a herd of turtles to the Lake O Lodge for check-in. It is always great to see the Mullens and catch up with them! We got some tips and tricks for this time of year (it was the latest we’ve ever come north) and we were off to the Outpost cabin to get settled in for the week.
Brisket Arrival meal was on like donkey kong before too long. Food coma followed for a good couple of hours….
We went for the first session bite just south of the pass to a spot marked by a couple buoys… WHNI got on the board first with the first fish and the 2017 Crystal Head Competition was officially underway.

Then Dog also landed a nice 22” walleye in the same spot the next drift, it was promptly returned to the depths of Lake O to grow and make babies.  Flag also picked up a perch in this same general area.

Once the catching slowed we moved north up to Area 51 for the pre-sunset bite where Crab picked up 4, 13” walleye and Flag landed 3 walleye of this same fingerling size. Good fun to have everyone on the board the first day and feel fish!
Before tying up for the night we fished off our dock area in the bay for a  couple minutes and WHNI landed a nice 15” walleye and a chubbie.

Monday, 21 August 2017
For the morning bite we headed northwest over towards Fergy to an area we later in the week renamed to Mother Walleye Bay.
WHNI caught his new handle name this morning with an awesome 24”, 5 lb walleye and so this brought about his new handle “Nickel” (the fisherman formerly known as WHNI, formerly known as Smalls).

After a delicious lasagna meal we headed out to Area 51 and caught 15 total walleye, 4 keepers after witnessing the solar eciplse earlier in the day (weird vibe!).   
We kept having this creepy feeling of being watched around the cabin.  Then a picture had captured an eerie image of crew-members of our previous excursions looking out from the cabin windows:

We miss you guys; Dime, Doc, and Unc!

Tuesday, 22 August 2017
Ominous skies in the morning so Nickel took a knee to catch up on some needed sleep. Dog went out solo in the camp boat to Area 51 with the Doika. Dog picked up 2 walleyes (1 keeper) and Crab landed 1 keeper and Flagg landed 1 fingerling and 1 really nice trophy he released.

After supper Dog took a knee for the night bite and slept 14 hours straight thru to the morning session on wed. Flag decided to plug for pike off the rocks next to our beach and wouldn’t you know it.. Yelling started happening for someone to get the net. Flag ended up jumping into the water once the fish was on and then he walked over towards the dock area with boats so Crab could come over and net his Crystal Head Fish. A nice 26.5” 3.75lb northern pike:

Wednesday, 23 August 2017
Today was our worse weather day with the daylight hours full of “sucker holes” tempting us to go out and so like any worthy fisherman we did and got caught a few times… By late afternoon the higher pressure finally rolled in and with it some better weather, so we headed out to Area 51 (flag took a knee) Dog and Crab went out together and Nickel went solo… Crab caught a keeper walleye that is now in his Texas freezer awaiting a fish fry. (I still have 5 walleyes left)

Thursday, 24 August 2017
Windy today. Headed north to Pat’s Shoal’s to get in the lee side away from the wind and be on the water.  Crab had a hammer-handle pike follow his lure to the side of the boat and then it grabbed Flagg’s jig. Team catching?  But nothing else was biting. Flagg and Crab drifted halfway down the lake to the Anvil. No fish wanted to play the entire distance.  Dog and Nickel were back by noon to the outpost cabin for an afternoon naaaaaaaaaaaaaap.  With Flagg and Crab joining them shortly after.
Out to area 51 for night bite, Crab 2 small ones, Dog 1 small one.

The chill came into the air tonight and with it, fall officially arrived to these guys from Texas, no doubt on that.  Fire up the wood stove!

Friday, 25 August 2017
Friday warms up early, so we all go down to Jacobs bay… crystal clear waters.
Clearwater

Primetime pike territory. Nate and Nickel both pull some pike with top waters. Treble hooks work!

Meanwhile Flag and Crab have every one of their lures assaulted by chubs. One pike kept. Back home to the cabin for some light fried fish filets. Dog deems midday naps are a thing of the past if he is to return to work. Nickel feels otherwise but stays awake with instant coffee and lumberjack detail laying in a supply of firewood.
Late afternoon Dog and Nickel in the camp boat leave Liberty Call with Flagg and Crab at the Anvil/Area 51 zone and head out to an unnamed bay and begin drifting. Nickel catches a keeper walleye. Dog is lazily about to reset the drift when he snags what is assumed to be a log or gorgeous croc. 4 lb test, ultralight reel about 30 seconds in,  Dog decides it is a fish..another minute of fighting and the beast is seen..Dog utters the words, with awe in his voice, “Oh my god - its a mother walleye”.  A 27 inch 7 pounder walleye at that.

Meanwhile back at area 51, Flagg and Crab are drifting into some deeper water when Crab snags what seemed like another log at first on ultralight tackle, then whatever it was got mad and took off.  When it finally comes aboard, it is a 25 inch 4.5 pound lake trout.

There is something fun about playing these large northern fish on lightweight crappie gear.
It was a fun time all around.

Saturday, 26 August 2017
Flagg and Crab return to Jacobs Bay. Flagg hooks into a huge pike that didn't fit into the net and could not get into the boat.  Estimated at near 48 inches.       Dog and Nickel return to Mother Walleye Bay looking for more monster walleye.
After lunch and a nice nap, both boats return to the Mother Walleye Bay area for the evening bite.  Flagg and Nickel each boat a walleye.  Return to cabin and start packing for the next morning departure.
Food packout was perfect. Minimal left over and minimal waste. The retired guys got it right!

Sunday, 27 August 2017
Depart dock at 0600. Foggy.   Then, we get through the pass and everytime was gone.  The fog was so thick that visibility was down to mere feet.   Luckily; Crab had an old survey grade GPS unit that he'd logged a track from Smith Pass dock to the outer bay by the lodge several years before on a previous trip.   Navigating by instruments, LC in lead, camp boat trailing.   Looking at the 2 boats, I could see the experience of someone navigating in restricted visual conditions.

Liberty Call[/center

Chrystal Head Point standings:
Flag 213.5, Dog 180.75, Crab 162.75, Nickel 156

Other notable stats
Longest Walleye: Dog 27” (Nickel with a notable 25” 5 lb (“Nickel”) Walleye)
Longest Northern: Flag (Netted and Not netted (as part of the Jacob’s bay fishing tale))
Catches: Flag 24.5, Dog 18, Crab 13.5, Nickel 11
67 Total catches on the week: 54 walleye, 6 northern, 1 Laker, 1 perch, 5 chub
Kept: 13 Walleye and 2 Pike.

Greg

Fantastic!   After so many weeks without a trip report - it is great to read another successful report.  I am not familiar with the location names you mention - but would definitely love to see where you had such great success.

Congrats! 

SgtCrabby

Yo Greg,  glad you like it. 
We do tend have good experiences there, but how bad could even a "bad" week of catching be in a place like that?  We had years of better and years of not as good catching; 

Which locations are you not familiar with? I think only 2 are our groups names  (Mother Walleye and Area 51)?

Jay Thomas

Thanks for your report SgtCrabby. Very nice to read about your trip. Congrats to Dog for his 27 inch 7 pound walleye on 4 pound test.

Jay

GregL

Great Report!!! I have yet to lay into one of those nice gators or "Mother" walleyes .. next year for sure!!

SgtCrabby

@Jay, the only reason a couple of us had 4 pound line on is for crappie fishing down here. We grabbed our rods, put into the truck and I headed out, but forgot the spools of heavier line to change to on arrival (oops).   But, if you play them gently and have your drag set somewhat loose;  4 lb test will work.

GregL,  In some of our lakes around here, we do have a few alligators;  if they grab your bait, they will break the line and keep it.  Not many and not big, but they are present.  We're at the edge of their natural range.

Greg

SgtCrabby.... I have just never been on Lake Ogascanan - something on my bucket list for sure.

I continue to explore Kipawa lake every summer and haven't been to every corner of the lake yet!

Greg

SgtCrabby

Looking at the size of Lac Kipawa, I doubt if anyone actually knows the entire lake. 

We really spend most of our time in 1/3 of Ogascanan, and don't know it all. But when you do get there; Jeremy and Dan Mullens know all the places by name.