Lake Ogascanan 20-27 August

Started by Dog, September 17, 2017, 06:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SgtCrabby

Thanks Nancy for getting the pictures in for me!

T-Bone

Thanks for the report....nice to read on this cold and gray November day. Nice walleye there by Dog...that's a dandy...and a couple other nice ones also.

Couple quick questions: What in the wide world of sports method is Flag using to hold that pike? Looks like he's squeezing its nose? And, almost most importantly, what was your primary tactic for targeting those walleyes? With all due respect intended, 54 walleye for the week across four fisherman? I think I know the answer, but I'll let you confirm.

Anyway....thanks again for posting the report; so good times were had there I'm sure...and it's always great to see traditions carried-on in a family and across friends...especially when it's the annual excursion into the northern wilds to chase walleyes.
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

SgtCrabby

Flagg likes to hold pike by the cheekbones just below the eyes. Says it 'stuns' them, which seems to work.

The first couple of days we had good catching numbers, then when the cold air moved in, the lake cooled way down (10°f in 24 hrs!).  We were slow to realize the lake was turning over.  We started marking fish all over the water column and away from their usual haunts.  Fish had dispersed.
We also were spending time just hanging around the cabin;  cooking and eating.

puckster_guy

"We also were spending time just hanging around the cabin;  cooking and eating."
Brother, you just hit the nail on the head. I do a lot of that too. Just having a beer sitting on shore and firing up the bbq. I can't wait to get a smoker... That's a huge part of the experience now.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Hodgey1

SGT, Great report! I really liked all of the photos. So if I understand what you wrote properly, you all rendezvous in one spot then drive, all together. Where do you start from?
Walleye Rock!

SgtCrabby

@Hodgey1:  yes, we rendezvous at the 'Lakehouse', which is Dogs aunts home on lake Erie.
I drive from Fort Worth Texas.  He's the odd part; Dog and Nickel fly to pittsburgh;  they live within 10 miles of me. I took three days to drive there (with their stuff) with a stop along the way to see my daughter.  They were met at the airport by Flagg (he's from Pittsburgh) and off to the lakehouse.

We do it this way because they work and time is important, I'm retired so time I have.

Hodgey1

Awesome, That's a lot of travel. Congratulation on your tenth anniversary also!
Walleye Rock!

Oarin

Thanks Sgt. Really nice to read a report again! I'm sure there are other members that haven't posted their trip. Come on guys and gals, nothing like a trip report in November! Do it!!

SgtCrabby

Yep @Hodgey1;  per my gps:   3897.7  total miles round trip.  I round that  up to an even 2000 each way.
But I like to drive,  I have the time to do it,  and I can stop to visit my daughter that lives only 2 1/2 hours from the lakehouse.  I call it a win-win-win situation.   
Now the return trip does seem long after the trip excitement is over.

I can think of a couple we haven't heard a report from that use to be major trip reporters.

Dog

Great report @SgtCrabby

I'm looking forward to our next trip to Lake O!
One more cast...