Watson Lake Cabins Sept. 9-16 2017

Started by Teach, September 18, 2017, 10:30:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teach

The headwaters of the Kipawa River system is polluted with walleye and northern pike! 
Our sampling method was to drift with jigs and crawlers in 17 to 40 foot of water.  The walleye ranged from 5 inches to 25.5 inches.  The slimy pike were not measured but would guess they ranged from 20 inches to 30 inches.  Weather was warm to say the least.  Mornings in the 60s and afternoons in the 80s with bright sunshine and not a drop of rain the whole week.

Water surface temperature ranged from 64 degrees to 68 degrees and the color of the trees seemed to change drastically as the week progressed.  Had a great time as always but that was due  to dad and two of my favorite sisters.  Got back to Georgia last night around 8.  But the Canadian boxes are restocked and ready to go!  May can't come soon enough! 
(Might have more pictures to post later.)

Jay Thomas

Thanks for your report. You caught some very nice walleye.

Jay

Hodgey1

Great report and nice fish! Do you really travel all the way from Georgia?
Walleye Rock!

john c

Hodgey1, Yes and Sgt crabby and now Dog come all the way from Texas.

john c
Smile, every one will wonder what you have been up to.

Balsams

I believe I've read about another one of your family trips in the past. That's great you guys all get away together and take advantage of the years. I'll bet evening brings lots of stories and laughs. Bonus weather...so lucky.

SgtCrabby

Great report and great fish!

Ahh, another southerner that goes big miles to go fishing.

Hodgey1

I am stopping today, complaining about my 470 mile trip North to wonderful, peaceful Kipawa.  ;D
Walleye Rock!

Canuckbass

Quote from: Hodgey1 on September 19, 2017, 07:45:54 AM
I am stopping today, complaining about my 470 mile trip North to wonderful, peaceful Kipawa.  ;D

That's 756 kilometres!! Makes my 236 km trip sound easy!!

fishtildark

Thanks for the report. looks like a great time and bonus time with family. one question.. The walleyes look a little darker and in some cases some of the blue tint.. is the water a little stained at all. Just wondering , or maybe its my eyes. Thanks.
So many lures and so little time.

SgtCrabby

Fishtildark seems to have good eyes; those eyes do appear to be the darker 'blue' tinted walleyes.
   I know;  the actual blue walleye is extinct.

Don't complain about your drives; brag about them!   
   I don't mind, as long as I can brag about my local lakes staying liquid during the winter 😆 .

puckster_guy

450km(300mi) for me and worth every second of the 5+ hour drive. Ain't no place I'd rather be.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

SgtCrabby

If y'all want to compare distances, I'll play;  I did 1897 miles round trip, which I believe is about 3050 km.
I measure my drive in days, not hours 😇.

Hodgey1

Quote from: SgtCrabby on September 25, 2017, 10:07:40 PM
If y'all want to compare distances, I'll play;  I did 1897 miles round trip, which I believe is about 3050 km.
I measure my drive in days, not hours 😇.

I would have to fly  :o :-\
Walleye Rock!

puckster_guy

Ya me too, That drive impresses the heck out of me. good on ya Sarge. I've driven to Houston and South Padre Island, with a 3 day stop in new Orleans about 25 yrs ago. In a 69 Buick Skylark. It was a great trip but not sure I'd want to repeat it. As well as 2 drives to south Fla. As Hodgey said next time I'll fly and rent a car.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Teach

Count down : 36 days until the treck north to Watson Lake begins for me here in GA.  Crew will be my father and one of his high school buddies.  If I recall correctly, this buddy caught the largest fish (a pike) on my first Canadian adventure to the West Arm Narrows at the age of 5 in 196?.   We sang the Burger King song 'It take two hands to handle a wopper' all the way home.  I have been practicing posting pictures and Tinypics seems to be functioning quite well and simple!  Thanks to Nancy for fixing my original post and making this work.  Here are some more picks from last September.