Last minute Lake Ogascanan Report Sept 21-27

Started by Nancy, September 29, 2017, 09:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nancy

What a whirlwind trip! Tuesday, the 19th, at lunch was talking about how nice the weather was and we decided to look up the weather in Kipawa. They were going to have essentially the same kind of weather we were having. One thing led to another, and the next thing you know John is calling the Mullens to see if they have a cabin open. Ginny asked when are you coming and warned the fishing is poor and not biting. John told her we would be there Thursday. Her reply was, "Which Thursday?" This Thursday, two days. So by 2:30 we had a cabin reserved and all the packing to do. We got everything done and ready to roll by 7;15AM Wednesday. We got to the camp around 11:30AM Thursday morning. By the way, we forgot very little on this trip.

To give you a little background before the first day's report. John had gotten me a St Croix Premier ML Fast action rod for my birthday. Which I just love by the way. He has had his eye on that rod since he got it for me. So I decided I would get him one for Christmas this year, but it seems they are getting hard to find. So I went ahead and ordered it and he got his Christmas present early. It was his winning rod for the week. He didn't outfish me all the time, but the new rod was the difference for us to eat fish last week. We caught several small fish, but the slot fish was caught on John's new rod. I told him I was going to start an online auction.  :) ;)

As has been noted the weather was hot for this time of year. If you notice John in short sleeves. That is one of the few pics I have of him at any time of the year in short sleeves. Here is a pic from our July/August trip.

We caught more fish than expected. With the exception of 2 totally bluebird days. We averaged 3 fish per outing per person. We were up one time on a September trip and did better this time. Fish were caught between 14 and 28 feet of water. We spent quite a bit of time drifting over 25-45 FOW near some late summer spots but to no avail.

The weather was very warm and even John admitted one day it was hot. But just a gorgeous time to be up there. Don't know when there is a not enjoyable time to be there though.

On our way home we did see a bull moose that had gotten killed on the road, so one less for the moose hunters. A semi led to his demise down by the Muskoka airport on Rte 11. I was driving, but John said it wasn't a huge moose. We thought that was possibly on the fringes of being pretty far south for moose???? It had happened in the morning shortly before we went through.

As you may have figured out, I am a softie for sunrises and sunsets. Here are a few pics of the beginning color change, bluebird days, and the beginning and endings of the days.

morganjp

That's great. You guys made another trip. Good for you both. Sounds like another great time at Ogascanan... I would not expect anything else. Great place, great host's. Doesn't get any better.

Jay Thomas

Thanks for your report Nancy. Great pics as well. Glad you and John enjoyed a few extra days in paradise.

Jay

SgtCrabby

Great report,  what a fantastic time spent in paridise.
Thanks.

Fort Wisers

Very nice pics! Now I'm envious wish I was there right now!
Great report, great pics, thanks for sharing!

Greg

Nice... all these reports of "our 2nd trip"... and great pics... makes me want to pack and drive to Kipawa right now!

getthenet

Very nice ! If the weather holds,maybe a third trip ? haha

john c

John, hush your mouth, don't give me any more ideas.  Three weeks in one summer is enough--------- maybe!  ::) ::) ;)

john c
Smile, every one will wonder what you have been up to.