Wolf attacking a moose in Northern Ontario.

Started by pikebuster, October 15, 2017, 10:13:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pikebuster

It’s not something you come across every day, but it’s probably more common than you may think in the Canadian wilderness.
YouTuber Dan Nystedt recently posted drone footage of an incredible confrontation between two natural enemies â€" a wolf attacking a moose in Northern Ontario.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=akGWOpcWfrQ

puckster_guy

Wow. Interesting how that worked out. That Wolf moving along the tracks looked like a ghost. On another note I have reservations about using drones to locate Moose during a hunt. It can greatly increase your chances of finding and killing a Moose. It can easily decimate a population if everybody got a moose. It would also IMO take the "sport" out of the hunt.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Fort Wisers

I agree with you on that one @puckster_guy
Pretty amazing footage....

Hodgey1

that video was crazy. I would have never thought a wolf would attack a grown moose, let alone a grown moose in the water. The softy side of me was rooting for the moose!
Walleye Rock!

Balsams

I think it was not over. Appeared the drone startled the wolf into turning back for shore. Ya I was pulling for the moose too. Is it me or was there 2 wolves on the tracks?

Hodgey1

Walleye Rock!

Fort Wisers

SgtCrabby

Yep, two wolf's were on the tracks,  perfect color blend into the road bed.
I too was rooting for the moose, and get into deep water, might have drowned the wolf.

Also not a fan of using drones for hunting purposes. 
OK in wildlife management and documentaries.

RHYBAK

Where did the drone / hunting comments come from?
Where ? If anywhere was it ever mentioned that the drone was being used for hunting purposes?
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

puckster_guy

Quote from: RHYBAK on October 18, 2017, 01:01:25 PM
Where did the drone / hunting comments come from?
Where ? If anywhere was it ever mentioned that the drone was being used for hunting purposes?
That was my conjecture Rye, it looks like fall there. I took the possibility that the drone was looking for moose either in a hunt or to prepare for one. So I threw im my 2 cents worth.

RHYBAK

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

puckster_guy

Quote from: RHYBAK on October 19, 2017, 02:11:11 PM
you know what   ASSUME  ing does

Oh ya I know. I didn't "assume" anything. I saw a posibility that a drone can be used for hunting and extrpolated an opinion on the possibility of using said device on a hunting trip. I don't know if there are any rules for or against it. Nor do I care since I don't hunt big game. However the opinion expressed was mine alone bro.

Jow

Came up on a fresh moose kill on sled trail in northern Ontario 8 years ago while snowmobiling. Pretty sure we scared off the wolves from the noise of our sleds. It was steaming of sweat from running. The tounge nose and rear end had been chewed out and blood every where. Pretty creepy thing to see. Wolf tracks every where around it.

Hodgey1

I love the environment and all things nature, the wolf gets on my nerves though. I know. I know, they need to eat too. I don't have to like  >:(
Walleye Rock!

morganjp

Hi All,
I don't get on this site as much as I should. Just happened to check it out today. I just watched the moose/wolf encounter video. It was very luck to get this on camera.
RHYBAK is correct in his post....DON,T ASSUME...."nothing was mentioned about using drone for hunting purposes." I am a hunter and have been many places in US, Canada, Africa, South America, New Zealand etc. I'm just stating a fact that I know what HUNTING IS about...
I would also agree that drones should not be used for scouting purposes for hunting if that were the case in this instance; which I don't think it was.. Fair chase is just that;... FAIR CHASE...
The video should have been looked at and appreciated for what it was.....NATURE.....
It's amazing what one added sentence about ones beliefs placed on this site can muster up....Guess we all should leave the opinions to the FISHING part of this forum.
We all must think about what we are posting to what ever forum that MANY have access too. ....You can Think it, but don't have to state it. I'm sure PUCKSTER_GUY did this unintentionally....but it should make us all think about what we say that a large groups of people have access too....
...... Oh, and for you fisherman...which I assume all on this post are.....DON'T"USE DEPTH/FISH FINDERS anymore. Its like a water drone.??????....