NHL 2017-18

Started by chiaro, December 21, 2017, 07:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chiaro

Most Canadians following their local hockey team have renewed hope that there team had a shot at the Stanly Cup. That is new for several teams. This year Ottawa, Montreal, and Edmonton all felt they were contenders out of the gate but now are fighting for a wild card spot. Three perennial flameouts look good this year Winnipeg, Toronto, and Calgary. Vancouver sits in purgatory.

In the US last years winners Pittsburg looks weak out of the wildcard, while Tampa and Nashville look like real contenders.

...and then there is Vegas, an expansion team, almost at the top of the standings.  :o Should be a fun going into the playoffs.

RHYBAK

Way to early to talk standings.
Come back in March
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

T-Bone

Go Jackets!!! Sorry Mr. Rhybak....we punked your team good the other night...but lost in a stupid shoot out to the hated, loathed, overrated, crybaby Penguins last night. Every other word is "Sidney Crosby" this and "Sidney Crosby" that when talking to Pens fans...it gets boring.

[That outta get the western PA people going...  ::)]
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Greg

T-Bone - the only time I like hearing "Crosby Crosby Crosby" is when he is wearing a Canadian jersey - then he is the best player in the world!  To bad about the Olympics... (grrr... Bettman... grrr)

I am disappointed the senators have fallen so far so quickly - the hatred for their owner (Melynk) here in Ottawa has reached new heights!  He made (even more) stupid comments (publicly) last weekend which has created a huge reaction.

I am enjoying watching the Winnipeg Jets get some deserved "top of the charts time" after so many years at the bottom.  Also, Vegas continues to impress - I like watching them also - the next Disney movie coming "Vegas Knights - season 1"...lol

chiaro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Zw_wkeEAJI

The quiet Mount Torts gives off puff of smoke in shortest press conference ever given. Locals look skywards and wonder if Tortorella to return to former self. :)

chiaro

So Vegas in the expansion draft, they negotiate to get 2 extra first round picks plus further lower draft picks. They do this by picking good players that the other teams wanted Vegas to pick like Marc Andre Fleury ( got a 2nd rounder). They take a few of these stars that are restricted free agents with the idea to trade them on the trade deadline for possible 1st round picks to build for the future.

Now here they are 2nd overall 1/2 way through the season, beating Tampa the other day who are 1st. They have 8 million in cap space and now the thought is that they could be buyers going into the trade deadline and that they should try to keep their restricted free agents.

They could win the Stanley Cup. 1st round currently would be against the Ducks, and then the second round a team like the Kings or the Sharks. I can see them getting at least to the conference final and being good for years!

No expansion team in any sport has ever done so well.

Greg

Yep.  I think Vegas will get to 2nd or 3rd round of playoffs - the next Disney movie script is going to unfold in the next 5 months right in front of us.

Canuckbass

Wish I put a bet on them to win cup when I was in Vegas a few weeks ago!!

SgtCrabby

I would like to see my Dallas Stars get to the cup finals.
Sigh, maybe someday...

But when we get to the end of regular season in a couple of months, it could be real interesting

puckster_guy

Amazing what smart drafting and coaching can do. They can build a winner with what mostly is "spare parts" The Leafs tried that with Quinn and co. and only got close, but no cigar...
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Dog

@T-Bone , made me chuckle...
The reality is the Pens have been losers 35 out of 40 years... take some comfort in knowing the Blue Jackets performance is not so bad when viewed from that angle. They have only been losers 20 out of 20 years....

I'm going to leave this here in case you need some motivational wall art for your mancave: http://shop.nhl.com/Pittsburgh_Penguins_Collectibles/Pittsburgh_Penguins_Highland_Mint_13_x_16_Rink_Bronze_Coin_Photo_Mint

One more cast...

chiaro

Some dam good hockey going on.....love the Vegas / LA series. Jets and Wild is also great along with Nashville and Columbus. My poor Leafs...growing pains.  :(  It could be worse, I could be a Capitals fan - #1 seed and they lost the first two at home! :o

Canuckbass

Capitals are always there but can’t close the deal.

I’ve said all year, Leafs are not built for playoffs, first two games certainly showing that. They look scared.

crackers42

you guys can cry and wine all you want but the big question is......"would you bet against Pittsburgh"?

Going for a three peat!

pike mike

I wont be able to put up with Reggie at 3 Seasons if his Pens hoist the cup once again but even more than that I couldn't handle my best friend and leader of our Coca cola group ,Smurf,  if his beloved Loafs make it through . Looks like ,thankfully , at least 1 of those scenarios is dying quickly (Go Bruins)  . For the 1s time in 9 years I've had to give up watching my Blackhawks in the  post season . Now that all the silly talk about removing Bowman and Quennville has gone away we will return to the post season year next year . As a life long Hawks fan who made it through the success slim Wirtz years I guess I've had my fair share of post season glory for now . LOL One cant be too greedy .
I'd like to see Winterpeg win it . Gerrard Gallant and his team of "also rans " in Vegas deserve to win it as well