Off to red pine (first ever winter trip.)

Started by puckster_guy, February 19, 2018, 01:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

puckster_guy

Depending on the weather I'm making a first ever winter trip to camp.I'm leaving either Monday or Tuesday morning (Feb 26)coming back on Friday next week. I know I can drive to a neighbor's camp (Len) my place is less then 1km away. an easy walk. I wanna just get out of Dodge and to get an idea of the obstacles of getting to camp in winter. As well my old 2000 grand Cherokee with a 4.7l v8 was replaced with a 2008 turbo diesel version. Trail rated for off road use as well. This should save me a ton of bread on gas on my drives up there. So lets see how this truck works out. Only 120,000 km on the clock. I'm curious about the improvements on red pine rd. as well. I made sure I had plenty of firewood last fall. OK lets see how it goes. The satellite internet had better be working lol.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

T-Bone

Sweet adventure!!! Good luck, and be sure to let us know how it goes. Maybe the first "trip report" of 2018! HAH!!!
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Greg

Can't wait to hear how the trip goes Puckster!

Jay Thomas

Looking forward to your report about your winter trip to your cottage. Did you remove your front licence plate to avoid identification or did someone steal it?

Jay

puckster_guy

Hey Jay. That photo was taken on the test drive so only  rear dealer plates on it. Looking forward to goin' up.

Nancy

PG, Good luck on your trip in. I think everyone will be waiting with bated breath about your trip to your cabin.

Fort Wisers

Jig and drift

Good luck and lots of pictures please. Kipawa winter and Ohio winter are two very different things. Also excited about the road condition.

SgtCrabby

Good luck Puck!

I sure we are all anxiously awaiting the first trip report of the season.

JohnVan

Good Luck on your first winter trip. We go every year for a weekend at the other end (Laniel) from Dorval bay by snowmobile and cross country ski. We were there 2 weeks ago with about 14-18" of iice on lake and about 12" of snow on top of ice. Cold weekend but beautiful sunny weather. Enjoy the beauty and the quietness of the lake. Check out the sky at night.

puckster_guy

I got into camp yesterday around 1 pm. Maniwaki was icy with a dusting of snow on it. Good enough for better traction. Red pine road was about the same, new sections not yet open and it looks like they've stopped work till spring. The Jeep performed flawlessly. I noticed a big difference between the old gas v8 and the v6 3l diesel. On slippery roads the diesel never spun it's tires it just powered up hills. The old one would have fishtailed all the way there. Mileage is a huge difference. Both tanks are 75 liters In the v8 I usually pit 20 bucks in in town to make sure I had plenty of gas to get out or do a small trip. I still have just under half a tank of diesel. It's 450 km door to door. Let's see how it tows... The lake is covered in about 2 feet of ice and we have about a foot of snow on the ground. On the way in I saw a nice fat grouse sitting on a snow bank. Here's a few pics, I'm staying till Thursday but i might stay till Friday since I'm back to work on Sat. I'll post more pics as the week progresses.

red pine chutes...

Fort Wisers

Looks awesome @puckster_guy have fun and stay warm!
Thanks for posting the pics.....

Jay Thomas

Glad to see you made it in to your cottage. Thanks for posting pics. Regarding your solar array, how many kilowatts does it provide? Thanks.

Jay

puckster_guy

Quote from: Jay Thomas on February 27, 2018, 12:15:07 PM
Glad to see you made it in to your cottage. Thanks for posting pics. Regarding your solar array, how many kilowatts does it provide? Thanks.

Jay

4x255w panels + 6 6v gel pack batteries. I got the kit from Kipawa Solar. Gives me all the juice I need, Tho I'm thinking of doubling the batteries.

Jig and drift

Looks awesome. Would to see the area in the winter. Great to hear the roads are in decent shape. Enjoy your time.
Thanks !!