Ice Out Lake Kipawa Contest

Started by pike mike, March 21, 2018, 12:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayne

Well the taxi boats didn't make the  trip from Kipawa to the lodge today. Still ice blocking Beauvin narrows. Going to try again tomorrow. With this wind and temperature should be all gone by tomorrow, Lets hope!!

crackers42

There is still hard ice offshore in the east end of the lake.

Even with the temps and rain there will be floaters on the opener

Careful out there.

T-Bone

Quote from: wayne on May 14, 2018, 09:05:13 PM
Still ice blocking Beauvin narrows. Going to try again tomorrow.

Yes...got a note from Brian at Alwaki Lodge last evening and he stated he's going to give it a go today...Per Wayne's comment the narrows between Kipawa and central area of lake still ice bound. So, technically, ice still isn't "off" yet...

Looking like May 15th is going to win it though!!!!
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

GregL

Oh Man!.. looks like it will be a long run to Alwaki! Not sure I'm gonna be comfortable running on plane this weekend.

puckster_guy

If your doing high speed runs be very wary of floating wood this time of the year. I saw several logs float past last week.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

GregL

Quote from: puckster_guy on May 15, 2018, 10:46:35 AM
If your doing high speed runs be very wary of floating wood this time of the year. I saw several logs float past last week.

Like this one, from last year's opener... we didnt' see it until it passed the back of the boat. It went under right side, we were doing 35mph! My motor must have just missed it OUCH!
It was at least 12' long and had a bunch of big metal spikes!!!!

We towed it to shore and jammed it in the rocks best we could.

Hodgey1

Dangerous! Man that would mess up your boat.
Walleye Rock!

wayne

Well its official. The ice off. Left this morning. Drove the water taxis in around noon today. So who ever picked May 15th wins!!
Nancy if you could let me know I will mail the hat and t shirt or if the winner comes to Kipawa I can leave them at the bait shop. Thanks to all who participated. Great fishing everyone. If the contest is on next year lets hope the ice leaves way before May 15th. 3 days isn't enough tome to open a fishing lodge!!

Oarin

Thanks for the updates, Wayne.

SgtCrabby

Wow, that log looks scary. It could mess up boat, motor,and then the entire fishing trip! 

Thanks Wayne for the ice updates!

puckster_guy

The ice seems to dislodge them. I see and drag several to shore after every ice out.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Canuckbass

Thanks @wayne
Won’t be up this weekend but very soon, got boats already and final tuning this week.

Administrator

Thank you @wayne for being our official. @Balsams, you are the winner! You have the closest official guess of May 13. Thank you to everyone for your participation. @Balsams, I will be sending you a PM.

GregL

Yup second time in my life that happened!! The other was on pickerel river, came around a corner wide open, just happened to look over my right shoulder and it brushed the side of my boat. The bow must have swung over it as I turned!! That was in my old Ranger tiller again doin north of 35mph!! .... SCARY!

Hodgey1

Quote from: puckster_guy on May 15, 2018, 09:36:10 PM
The ice seems to dislodge them. I see and drag several to shore after every ice out.

Puck, Thanks for taking the time to remove them when you find them!
Walleye Rock!