First time to Kipawa

Started by ppauley, March 24, 2018, 04:04:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ppauley

My brother-inlaw and I are going to Kipawa for the first time on June 4th to 8th. We are staying at cottage very near to Laniel. I have read quite a few post on this forum trying to get info on the fishing tactics of Kipawa. I know chartruse and leaches are very good in Kipawa.
Any info would be helpful. We will be targating pickerel and pike. I am a new member to the forum and appreciate any help.

Balsams

That time of year you will find walleye in back bays and narrow channels and around shoal flats in shallow water 14 ft to 2 ft. You can target trolling small crank baits like shad rap, thunder stick, small size. Slip bobber with crawler or leach into shallow water in the evening or morning.

ppauley

Hey, thanks for the info. We have fished for years my brother-in law and I but never Kipawa. I used to fish Booth Lake in Quebec off the Maniwaki Hwy. Enjoyed our time there camping and fishing with our family and friends. We are both very excitied to be going to Kipawa in June and I think we will do better than the other places in Ontario we have gone with our group. This forum has been so helpful in giving info about fishing Kipawa. As I say, win or loose the BEER taste the same lol.

BigChief

@ppauley do you know what exact arm of the lake you will be on? If you look at the Lake Kipawa Map post in the general category and tell us if you are on the Taggart Bay Lodge Arm or Chalet's Diane arm. That may give people on here a better idea of info to give you.

I have been to the TBL arm extensively and ventured through the Narrows some. So I could help with that end.

86 days to go!

ppauley

We rented a cottage and Brenda the owner says where about 8 minutes from the Laniel boat launch to the cottage. Where in the NW end
at the end of the lake. Any info would help. Brenda who rented us the cottage her husband fishes almost every day and I am sure he will help us out on the spots. Any info will definitely give us some advantage. We plan on trolling , drifting, jigging and crank baits. Rob and I have been fishing for many years but a new lake its a different story.

Being from North Bay I don't know why we did not go to Kipawa before. Sounds like that you can do very well at.

BigChief

@ppauley sounds like you are on the arm where Chalets Diane is located. Since I have only been to TBL can't give you much info.
You may want to search the old trip reports for anyone who has been to Chalets Diane.

ppauley

Yes, I know the chalets of diane are nearby. Thanks Big Chief for responding.

Oarin

PPauly, make sure you watch the video on threading a walleye in the discussion section of the site. That's the new method of filleting a walleye.

T-Bone

You may want to hit-up 600 Miles North....those are his stomping grounds if I'm not mistaken. Haven't seen him on the Board of late, but I'd be confident he checks it from time to time.

Brenda's husband is your guy though...take him a present and give it to him the day you get there...can't replace the intimate knowledge of someone that "fishes every day".

Our annual trip started on June 4th a few years back. Fishing was quite good, but I'll never go back again in early-June. And yes...never is a long time, but I'm fairly-certain that will stick.

Good luck...especially with the bugs...  ;D
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Oarin

T-Bone, you're right! My first trip to Quebec was to the Gouin Res. in June of 1990. Caught lots of fish, but vowed I'd never go back that early again.(never did) The black flies, horse flies, and deer flies were ungodly! Ppauly, make sure you bring duct tape for your long sleeve shirts, which you'll need, and for your pant legs. Also, deet, gloves, and a good head net are a must.

T-Bone

Quote from: Oarin on March 29, 2018, 03:44:33 PM
The black flies, horse flies, and deer flies were ungodly!

The flies didn't bug me so much, but the darn skeeters where as thick as a starling murmuration around me the entire week...and nobody in our group was spared. You could see the "clouds" of skeeters, and actually hear them when they "woke up" for the hard feeding times...which were 3x as thick as the normal part of the day. Makes me shudder thinking about it still...scarred for life.  :(

The best part was we were prepared, or so we thought. We had every spray, bracelet, hat, jacket, cover, etc. you could own. We had permathrin bug spray (didn't work), 97% DEET (not so much), and every home defense scent ever though of (nada).

I'll never forget...an experienced northern construction guy picked us up at the outpost and he had to start the generator before we left the cabin for home. We waited in the boat while he went to the little hut out back of the cabin to do that; it was about 9AM...and we knew what he was in for. All he said upon his return to the boat was, "That is not a nice place.", referring to the bug swarm that surely devoured him. I'll never forget that...

Good luck...
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Canuckbass

Ya early season is nuts for skeeters!! I work outside in cottage country and they don't bug me to much... Except after a day or two in Kipawa!! We have a Reno this spring and not looking forward to it, hopefully it's windy.

ppauley

Wow you guys are scaring me know ... When your out in the lake fishing are the bugs out there ? I can understand close to shore. I used to fish Booth lake and camp in june and the bugs were bad, but worse might be a heck of a trip.

Balsams

Ppauly, if you are from North Bay you will know what to expect. It's not pleasant but tolerable if you are prepared. I have a place in Parry Sound area and mid May to early June there are bugs. We have been going to ZEC Kipawa in late May or early June for many years, the bugs have never made the trips any less epic every year. Out on the lake not an issue (just keep trolling). Good luck.

ppauley

So true, The bugs might be bad but you prepare the best you can and keep on fishing and have fun . I have to say my brother-in law and I always have fun and laugh all day. We fish as a team and are happy for the other guy when he lands a fish. You know a friend of mine said this on one of our trips to the Caribibean.  with friends. " Its not where your are, Its who your with " So TRUE.