Can I bring leeches into Quebec from Ontario

Started by RoK, April 04, 2018, 12:38:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoK

Hi all

We Usually buy our leeches at Kipawa bait. But  this year we are going up on a Sunday and she is not open on Sundays until later in the year.

Does anyone know if it is illegal to bring leeches into Quebec.

I saw Rhybak's where to buy leeches post, so I could assume since he listed Ontario bait stores, it is legal. But I seem to remember reading somewhere where some guys were stopped entering Quebec and fined for bringing leeches.

Thanks in Advance!
Cheers, Ron

T-Bone

Or just get them at Pronature. Not sure how anyone would be aware you're bringing them in unless you get 'pulled over' after crossing the bridge in Temiscaming.

I recall reading a lot of people get their leeches in North Bay...so shouldn't be an issue...
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

RoK

Thanks T-Bone

Pronature is closed that same day as well. Plus we buy 6 pounds and want to ensue quality leeches, so not taking any chances on what's available.

I remember reading a post about some guys buying leeches just before the border and the Quebec Police were monitoring and pulled them over. But that could have been the old discussion board, years ago, and the story sounds a little fishy.

To be sure, I emailed the Ministry from the Quebec Fishing reg's website. I will post their response.

52 days.... ;D
Cheers, Ron

Greg

52 days!!!!  WOW... jealous... I am 101 days away from my trip.   Looking forward to your early trip (& bug) report on the board!!!

Greg

Hodgey1

Walleye Rock!

BigChief

I know that is definitely the case for salted minnows. A group in camp with us one year was fined when they were found in the boat.
The package was checked and since they were not bought in Quebec they got fined.

79 days til TML.

RoK

well, I got a reply but I didnt get an answer. I already read the regs and leeches are not bait fish, however it does not explicitly state you can or cannot bring them in from Ontario.

Or are leeches bait fish?

I had found response form the Ministry on another board explicitly stating it is legal, but that was over 10years ago.

We did make arrangements with Corina at Kipawa Bait  to meet her so its a non-issue, but for those interested here is the response I received...

Dear Sir,

Further to your request, we invite you to click on the following link:

•   Bait fish
https://www.mffp.gouv.qc.ca/english/publications/online/wildlife/fishing-regulations/general-regulations/bait-fish.asp

Importing bait fish
Importing of live or dead bait fish is prohibited.

We thank you for your interest in the Ministère des Forêts, de la Faune, et des Parcs, and take advantage of this opportunity to invite you to submit your opinion as to whether or not you feel we have met our commitments and provided adequate service, by clicking on the following link:
http://www.mffp.gouv.qc.ca/english/department/statement/statement-opinion.asp

Yours sincerely,

51 days.....
Cheers, Ron

RoK

okay, I  think this is the key statement :

Frogs, leeches and earthworms as bait
The use of frogs, leeches and earthworms as bait is permitted unless otherwise indicated.

The restrictions on bait fish do not apply to the use of frogs, leeches and earthworms as bait

Her reply was misleading, but I think its safe to say its legal to import leeches.
Cheers, Ron

RoK

case closed, it is legal....

Thank You Caroline

I understand Importing of live or dead bait fish is prohibited. But the regulations state leeches are ‘other” bait. So can I assume it is legal to import leeches?

Frogs, leeches and earthworms as bait
The use of frogs, leeches and earthworms as bait is permitted unless otherwise indicated.
The restrictions on bait fish do not apply to the use of frogs, leeches and earthworms as bait

Thanks, Ron

Dear Sir,

We wish to confirm you that you are allowed to import leeches.

Yours sincerely,

Caroline St-P.
Préposée aux renseignements
Services à la clientèle
Direction des communications
Ministère de l’Énergie et des Ressources naturelles
Ministère des Forêts, de la Faune et des Parcs
5700, 4e Avenue Ouest, A-409
Québec (Québec) G1H 6R1
MERN :1 866 248-6936 (1 866 CITOYEN)
MFFP : 1 844 523-6738 (1 844 LAFORET)
services.clientele@mern.gouv.qc.ca
services.clientele@mffp.gouv.qc.ca
mern.gouv.qc.ca
mffp.gouv.qc.ca
Cheers, Ron

Greg

wow!  maximum bureaucracy - persistence pays of RoK!

That is good to know - thanks for chasing that down.

crackers42

Yes you can import leeches, best place is the little shack on Trout Lake Road after you make the Turn in North Bay off the HWY.

Pound for pound they are cheaper than Kipawa and better quality in my mind.

Canuckbass

Quote from: crackers42 on April 07, 2018, 01:34:59 PM
Yes you can import leeches, best place is the little shack on Trout Lake Road after you make the Turn in North Bay off the HWY.

Pound for pound they are cheaper than Kipawa and better quality in my mind.

We've bought there a few times. Great little stop.