News:

Upgraded to SMF 2.1.4
We hope you like the new look and feel!

Main Menu

Brook Trout

Started by RoK, April 10, 2018, 11:39:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoK

Does anyone know if Brook Trout are present in any of the streams around Kipawa?

Cheers, Ron

pike mike

I've asked about specs/brookies before with little success or response .I think their presence and location(s) is a guarded secret 

Oarin

There's a stream that runs along the road from Temiscaming to Laniel that has some. My friend Capt. Guy fished it by the little picnic area on the left as you head towards Laniel years ago and said there were some there. He got chased out by a black bear!!

puckster_guy

I've asked even the locals, nobody's talking lol. I was told in and around the Bauchene lakes you'll find them. Nothing specific tho.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

crackers42

there are lots of little lakes that hold them up in Kipawa but unfortunately you will not get anyone to release the names.

All I can say is go right when trout opens and don't waste your time past middle of June.

Majority of them are 50+ miles in the road.

crackers42

just to follow up on my last comments.  Make sure you grab a zec license if you up past red pine area fishing small lakes don't want to see anyone get a fine.

There are well known streams like Big Jocko and Little Jocko between Temiskaming and North Bay that hold brook trout and lots of great streams around the Mattawa area.

And a few spots around Kipawa ;)

limacharley

Sorry....I ain't telling.
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

RickOnt

limacharley   I do not blame you one bit!  LOL

There are definitely Brook Trout streams and lakes in the Temiscaming/Kipawa area

But, as has been said, don't expect the locals to be too open with info to a stranger.

You really need to do your own searching/leg work

Small lakes and streams can be devastated by overfishing
"Making Memories"

limacharley

Put it this way-If the stream or lake is right beside the hiway, you'll most likely get some little one; If you have to work to get to a lake, you'll be rewarded if you put in the effort.
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

RoK

Thanks for all your replies. I am not going out of my way looking for the streams, but while we are fishing for walleye, if Iwe happen upon a stream, I may give it a shot for something different and to stretch the legs.
Cheers, Ron

T-Bone

Somebody...please educate me. I've never caught one and from what it appears it sounds like just too much work to go out and seek them. What's the big deal with brook trout? No matter who is talking about it, they speak with a reverence about that fish species like it's the rarest of the rare. A guy from another board was actually being sued to give up his brook trout location in Algonquin Park. I mean really...do these things poop gold nuggets or something? Why all the "close to the vest" protection of where they are, how to catch them...etc.?
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Captain Hali

T-Bone, let me try to answer your question.Finding a stream, river or lake where one can catch brookies, especially trophy brookies, ( in my book, over 3 pounds ) is like a prospector finding a river where he has panned gold nuggets the size of his thumb nail. He just ain't gone tell anyone where he found his nuggets.So, although they don't poop gold nuggets,they are considered precious by brookie enthusiasts. It takes dedication, will, and time to find waters that have not been fished out. That usually means studying topo maps and long treks into the bush just to try out a lake, or following a stream or river to where few people venture. I started fishing for brookies when I was 14, some 62 years ago, when it was still possible to find good streams and lakes not too far ( 50/60 miles ) from my then home in Montreal Quebec.                                                                                    My attraction to them is the beautiful colors and markings on them, the delicate pink to orange flesh and mild flavor, and the challenge to get them to take your offerings. They also put up a pretty good scrap when you hook into one. They'll dig in and go deep, get airborne, or start rolling on you much like catfish do. I've had a 4  pounder take a 40 yard run me, so yes, exiting to hook into a big one.                                                                   The current IGFA world record is 14lb 8 oz caught in the Nipigon River in northwestern Ontario back in 1915.                                                                        Take a few minutes and google brook trout pictures and you'll see the beauty of them.           

crackers42

100% agree with Brook Trout.

Unfortunately over the years the streams and small rivers have warmed up just enough to affect this overall fishery.

Generally Brook trout spots and small / confined / secluded and opening up the spots on the internet would not go a long way to protect them.

T-Bone

Good info...so a combination of rare in numbers, hard to locate, hard to catch, and a good scrap when you do hook into one. That's good enough for me (though not for me...at least not any more).

Here's the link to the story; the guy wasn't "suing" for the information, but trying to leverage the Freedom of Info Act to get the fisherman's location.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder-bay/foi-request-fishing-spot-1.4232556 
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

RickOnt

Yea T-Bone  Mike had quite the ordeal over that FOI thing and from what he tells me the guy is still appealing the MNR's decision!!

I have done a couple Walleye/Pike trips with Mike But never a Brook Trout trip  My bones are getting way too old for sleeping on the ground  LOL

He did a trip to the Sutton River that was just amazing.  Lots of 6 plus pound Brook Trout
"Making Memories"