News:

Upgraded to SMF 2.1.4
We hope you like the new look and feel!

Main Menu

Kipawa Lodge Aug. 4th-11th

Started by JMB, April 16, 2018, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMB

First time to Kipawa and the lodge.  Mark and Jay will staying in the Birch Cabin.  We are both experienced fishers, but new to the lake and the camp.
If you are in the area and want to say hello just let us know.
May your travels always take you to where the water meets the shore.

T-Bone

Welcome...you're in the right part of the lake at a great time of the year to hit 'em good. We're leaving as you're coming in; if we see you at the dock in the morning I'll give you the download on what we were having success with.

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

JMB

Thanks T-Bone and I hope we get to meet you.  I have fished for walleyes, bass, and Pike in PA for many years and we are really looking forward to the trip.  My buddy Mark is an avid fisher and he used to fish the Great Lakes for smallmouth and walleye.

There is always a big learning curve when you fish a new lake and any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Best,

Jay

T-Bone

If you have experience, you'll pick-up on the bite easy enough. Finding the fish is the hardest part (always is), but sometimes I've seen guys in our group have trouble picking up on the walleye bite as most times it is very, very light.

Wayne at Kipawa Lodge is a good guy...he'll get you on to some fish. That time of year though, mid-lake humps are key for the 'eyes and pike. I've got a map somewhere of the area just SE of where you're going to be...into Lac Grindstone over to Mungo. Good fishing down there...really either direction from where you're staying.

I'll send that map over via email. Feel free to contact me at any time with any questions; been going up to Kipawa solid since 2000 and have no plans to stop going any time soon.

T-Bone. (Todd).
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

JMB

Thank you T-Bone.

Yep, I figure even with experience it will be a sharp learning curve. I have fished reservoirs, but nothing like the natural lakes up there.  I sincerely appreciate  the tip on the light bites and the map.

We will be on the lookout for mid-lake humps. Hopefully we will find some.

Hodgey1

Quote from: JMB on April 16, 2018, 11:54:09 AM
First time to Kipawa and the lodge.

Don't tell anyone  ;), but Kipawa is one of the most tranquil, peaceful and relaxing places on the planet, oh... and great fishing also. You will enjoy your time there.
Walleye Rock!

JMB

I am really looking forward to it Hodgey1.

I spent many years fishing in the States especially the East Coast from the Florida Keys up to Maine, but this is my first trip to Kipawa and from the videos it looks truely beautiful and peaceful.  When I was younger I was a light tackle guide on local reservoirs, rivers and the Chespaeake Bay.  I spent 15 of those year fishing mostly for walleyes, bass and pike on some local lakes.  On the Chesapeake it was stripers, sea trout, red drum and other species.
Since I partially retired my close bud Mark, his son, and some other fishing buddies have mostly fished the big rivers for large wild trout, smallmouth bass, and walleyes. 

After a 10 year brake from lake fishing I am thrilled to be going to Canada and lake fishing again. Even though I am 65 and have fished almost my entire life I still get energy from the water and look forward to every trip with excitement and anticipation. Yeah, I have slowed down a bit, but the fishing and the companionship of good friends is what these trips are all about. I am very lucky to have been married for 40 years and my wife Pat is an avid fisher as well. She has become part of fishing group and earned her stripes by catching the largest brown trout in the group two years and a row.  I wish she was coming on this trip, but unfortunately not this time. Maybe in the future if I can sell it.

I am kind of the researcher, instigator, and explorer of our group and find the bodies of water and plan the trips. After lots of research I found Kipawa and it looked perfect. The fishing lake is beautiful with quantity and some quality. The lodge looks perfect for some older guys that can appreciate a good meal after a day of fishing.

Hodgey1

Quote from: JMB on April 26, 2018, 11:24:16 AM
I wish she was coming on this trip, but unfortunately not this time. Maybe in the future if I can sell it.

Member @RHYBAK suggested last year that I bring my wife on a trip last year, I took his advice. I made my boys trip in July and then returned with my wife in September, she loved it enough that we booked again for September. So my recommendation is two trips a year  ;D
Walleye Rock!

JMB

Thanks Hodgey!

I would love to get her up there and I appreciate the recommendation.