Garmin® echoMAP Plus 73sv thoughts or reviews

Started by BigChief, April 18, 2018, 03:50:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigChief

Looking at getting a much better fishfinder prior to my trip to TML in 66 days. Does anyone out there have a Garmin® echoMAP Plus 73sv? Any thoughts or reviews of it would be great. I am not looking to spend upwards of $2k for one. And the reviews I have read so far say this is better than a Humminbird. Just wondering if anyone had any feedback on it.

Canuckbass

Garmin is the leader in sonars now.
With them buying Navionics it will now make their mapping incredible.
I’ve used Garmins and the detail and what they pick up is incredible.
Lots of top anglers have all switched to Garmin now.

The other couple companies are great, Garmin is a step ahead now.

And they own Navionics now!! Should be able to update your unit once everything is in place.

RHYBAK

2k should get you better than the 73sv

I have 93sv  ( bigger screen) and I paid a lot less canadian.

I love my unit.
I am so glad that I bought it for my boat.
There are way to many options to even use them all.
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Canuckbass

Finalizing a new boat, I have been looking at the Lowrance Hook 2-7 with triple transducer. Looks like great deal to me and on sale at Trombleys this month.

BigChief

@RHYBAK I stated I was not looking to pay upwards of $2k.

I found the Plus 73sv for $750(American) @ Cabela's plus I have $350 in gift cards so out of pocket would only be $400.

Thanks for the info on the 93sv as I believe the only difference is screen size between them.

BigChief

Also @RHYBAK have you created any of the Quickdraw maps with your 93sv? And would you be interested in sharing them? I was going to sign up and look in the Quickdraw community to try and get a head of the game a bit.

RHYBAK

No. i have not had a chance to play with Quickdraw yet.
Kipawa is part of the Garmin mapping system.

The unit is still to new to me.
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

WillageD

Quote from: Canuckbass on April 18, 2018, 11:04:50 PM
Finalizing a new boat, I have been looking at the Lowrance Hook 2-7 with triple transducer. Looks like great deal to me and on sale at Trombleys this month.

If I was buying a new unit today it would be the Hook2 7 Triple shot. Great unit with lots of features for the price.

BigChief

Just have to say that after a week in Canada using this unit I absolutely love it. Still learning all the features on it but it worked great for us up there.
Anyone looking for a new one, Garmin is the way to go.

Ozzy30

I'm glad you like that unit Big Chief.  I put a new garmin up front at the electronic motor this spring and have really only used once and liked it.  I know 6 days at Alwaki this year the unit will hardly turn off.

CaptainCrappie

6 years ago I bought a Humminbird 798ciHD with side and down scan. Loved it till it crapped out 2 months out of warranty. The cost to repair, $229.00.  Worked for two months before the season ended and another month the next Spring and the freakin side imaging crapped out again! Naturally. out of warranty again. I was dumb enough to pay another $229.00 and the next Sping again no side imaging! I noticed that the units program was upgraded to a new rev level each time, and I had an early serial number so maybe they were working the bugs out. I must have had a lemon for a unit. So that Humminbird is now on my small boat. The traditional scan, maps and GPS still work.  I also paid another 100 bucks for the Lake View maps chip. So, I will never buy anything with Humminbird on it again!  They can have their mega imaging or what ever.  If it doesn't work for more than a year, what good is it?  I did a lot of research on locators after that and made the decision to buy a Garmin 93SV on sale at Cabelas at Christmas time in2016. So far no problems. It was a third of the cost of the Humminbird,  when you include the $458.00 for repairs and map chip. The Garmin had maps! I agree with The General and Ozzy.  Go Garmin!

C.C.
You don't get these days back.  Live each day as if it were your last and one day you will be right.

jimmymuller

You can never go wrong with Garmin, as this is the absolute leader in the navionics. Even if you watch the videos of some competitions, or just fishing programs, most likely you will see a Garmin somewhere. Yes, they are quite expensive, yet they are definitely worth the price. Mine is only 2 years old, and I've got a less expensive 4-inch version of the echoMAP + CHIRP, so I cannot comment much on warranty and stuff, as I still consider it new. For now, I am satisfied with what I've got.

puckster_guy

I'm glad this thread is out now. My hummingbird crapped out when I flipped the boat. I'm looking to replace it now. Awesome info here guys. I'm leaning towards a Garmin chart plotter I saw at Radio City ( an outdoor electronics store in Toronto). Just wondering if side imaging is worth it I've never used it. Only adds a hundred to the price so it's not the bread. Can it be useful on a jig & drift or is it only for trolling?
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

CaptainCrappie

Puckster,  in my opinion, it's worth it.  Structure off to the side shows itself. You don't have to go right over the top of it to know it's there.  That rock pile hump 30, 40 or whatever ft from your trolling path... Maybe you're the first guy ever to see it.  Mark it as a way point so you'll be able to back to it time and time again.  Only trouble is, you'll spend more time staring at the screen which means snesking back to that hump, anchoring and dangling a jig or slip bobbered leech in front of those eyes, or that giant school of small mouth, or that humongus pike looking for an easy meal. That's my story and I'm stickin to it.  Enjoy!

C.C.

You don't get these days back.  Live each day as if it were your last and one day you will be right.

SgtCrabby

I have a Garmin Stryker 7sv, a few less bells and whistles (i.e. no navionics data).
I love it's side imaging where I can see what's off to the sides. Just as CC describes, that's how I find brushpiles here.
The Quickdraw function is very good IMHO. 
Chief; Do look in the community, there is scattered data all over North America;  every little bit helps.