News:

Upgraded to SMF 2.1.4
We hope you like the new look and feel!

Main Menu

Ogascanan Conservation Lakes

Started by Chazz, April 18, 2018, 08:36:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chazz

Has anyone ever portaged over to one of the conservation lakes offered at Ogascanan ?  If so could you please let me know how your experience was and maybe recommend some tips.  Thinking about trying to get to one of them this August when we're up there for a week

Nancy

I haven't. John would never fish with me out of a canoe. I THINK that is what is at those conservation lakes. He said I was too erratic to fish out of a canoe. LOL

Dog

never tried. always too afraid to walk in the woods or try to find the trailhead on the shoreline...

if you go, good luck!
One more cast...

SgtCrabby

I've also not been to the conservation lakes.  But I believe they are full of pike from comments someone else once said years ago.  And they do have canoes there. 
I will be interested in your experiences with the lakes.

When are you going up and which cabin are you staying in?

Chazz

Will be there Aug 12th thru the 19th.  Staying at Smith's Outpost.   Hoping to make the trip into one of those lakes and will definitely post about the experience.

speedyD

We fished the conservation lake at Ogascanan last year. There are two, but we were told the one further away had not been visited in quite some time, and they weren't sure if there was a canoe there any longer.

We went to the closer one, and I believe these are the coordinates for the access trail: 47 2'3" N 78 22'47" W. I took a screen shot on my phone to make sure we could find our way back!

It was a 10-15 walk through the woods. The path is well-marked. You'll find a red canoe with paddles at the lake shore. It's fairly good sized and we had three people in it. PLEASE NOTE that there are a few small holes that did allow water into the canoe. I was sitting in the middle/bottom so I felt it first. Nothing serious, and we used some moss to plug and that held up ok.

It was an adventure, and a beautiful spot. The lake itself is not very deep. We were hoping for a lot of action, and got excited because one was caught one on the very first cast, but it was rather slow after that. Nothing of size. If you want an adventure, go explore this lake, but we caught a lot more pike in the back bays of the main lake. We fished this conservation lake on May 23rd.

Let me know if you have additional questions!

Chazz

Thanks speedyD.   Was planning on the lake furthest way from main lodge.   Hopefully by the time we arrive someone can confirm whether or not there's a canoe on that lake.

Ira

Chazz - we'll be up there the last week of June (43 days!) and have considered taking a side trip to the conservation lake. We'll make sure we take a roll of duct tape and will report back on the existence/condition of the canoe.

Chazz

Ira - looking forward to your report