Author Topic: Deep Creek Lake, MD  (Read 305 times)

Offline BigChief

Deep Creek Lake, MD
« on: April 21, 2018, 01:31:57 AM »
Heading down to Deep Creek Lake for a family trip later in the summer and taking the boat. Does anyone have any info renting dock space for a week?
And any decent areas to fish down there. Plan on fishing early morning or evening to avoid the recreational crowd.

Offline Netman

Re: Deep Creek Lake, MD
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 08:13:53 AM »
Deep Creek Lake's shore line is primarily privately owned. If you are renting a property for the week it will usually come with dock access. There is a public Boat launch site within the state Park area. It has a pay to Launch daily fee. (Not sure what it is this year). The public Launch has slips available for overnight use to Campers staying at the camp ground only.

http://dnr.maryland.gov/publiclands/Pages/western/deepcreek.aspx
Boat Ramp
The boat launch area at Deep Creek Lake State Park is open 24 hours a day weather permitting. Overnight slip use is available only to Deep Creek Lake State Park campers on a first come, first serve basis. Visitors should be prepared to pay the launch ramp fee each time the ramp is used or display a valid lake use permit or Maryland State Park pass in the windshield. To learn more about the lake visit the Deep Creek Lake Natural Resources Management Area webpage. Features at the ramp include:
   Four vehicle capacity launch area
   Docks to be use for the day
   No overnight docking except for park campers
   Overnight/extended day parking area
   Registration at park headquarters required
   ADA accessible boat trailer parking
   Restrooms- ADA accessible
   Pump out station
   Two fishing piers-ADA accessible
   Fishing access

Walleye are tough to find (for me at least) in the summer months when the water warms up and the crowd increases. Bass, both Small mouth and Large mouth are plentiful, and there is also a growing population of trophy size Northern Pike.

Send me a PM and I will give you my contact info.  My Wife and I are renting a small cabin on the lake this year and I plan on spending a significant amount of time on the lake fishing. I wish I could give you a secret hot spot to catch all the Walleye your want, but this is western Md, not Kipawa, The walleye fishing is just not the same. I stick primarily to the weed lines with a rocky bottom.

Your plan to fish early and late is a good one, especially on the weekends. (it gets crazy crowded).

Offline BigChief

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 06:31:53 AM »
@Netman thanks for the info. I am going down 11-16August. If you are going before then I would be interested to hear how you do. I have found some spots on the other forums by the Glendale and 219 bridges.

Offline JLG

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 04:03:33 PM »
I fish Deep Creek occasionally including ice fishing.  you should find quite a few weedbeds in August and perch and eyes should be around them.  target 15-20 feet of depth.  good luck and you are wise to fish early as the rec boats will be heavy on the lake up to Labor Day.

Offline Dog

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 11:15:29 PM »
my brother-in-law has a condo in deep creek across Wisp.
most dock space is privately owned and rented. sorry can't be much help, maybe the rental property you are renting thru will know...

Fished DCL twice in the last 5 years. not much luck but both times the weather was kinda crap. can't give any advice on spots or locations....