Deep Creek Lake, MD

Started by BigChief, April 21, 2018, 01:31:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigChief

Heading down to Deep Creek Lake for a family trip later in the summer and taking the boat. Does anyone have any info renting dock space for a week?
And any decent areas to fish down there. Plan on fishing early morning or evening to avoid the recreational crowd.

Netman

Deep Creek Lake's shore line is primarily privately owned. If you are renting a property for the week it will usually come with dock access. There is a public Boat launch site within the state Park area. It has a pay to Launch daily fee. (Not sure what it is this year). The public Launch has slips available for overnight use to Campers staying at the camp ground only.

http://dnr.maryland.gov/publiclands/Pages/western/deepcreek.aspx
Boat Ramp
The boat launch area at Deep Creek Lake State Park is open 24 hours a day weather permitting. Overnight slip use is available only to Deep Creek Lake State Park campers on a first come, first serve basis. Visitors should be prepared to pay the launch ramp fee each time the ramp is used or display a valid lake use permit or Maryland State Park pass in the windshield. To learn more about the lake visit the Deep Creek Lake Natural Resources Management Area webpage. Features at the ramp include:
•   Four vehicle capacity launch area
•   Docks to be use for the day
•   No overnight docking except for park campers
•   Overnight/extended day parking area
•   Registration at park headquarters required
•   ADA accessible boat trailer parking
•   Restrooms- ADA accessible
•   Pump out station
•   Two fishing piers-ADA accessible
•   Fishing access

Walleye are tough to find (for me at least) in the summer months when the water warms up and the crowd increases. Bass, both Small mouth and Large mouth are plentiful, and there is also a growing population of trophy size Northern Pike.

Send me a PM and I will give you my contact info.  My Wife and I are renting a small cabin on the lake this year and I plan on spending a significant amount of time on the lake fishing. I wish I could give you a secret hot spot to catch all the Walleye your want, but this is western Md, not Kipawa, The walleye fishing is just not the same. I stick primarily to the weed lines with a rocky bottom.

Your plan to fish early and late is a good one, especially on the weekends. (it gets crazy crowded).

BigChief

@Netman thanks for the info. I am going down 11-16August. If you are going before then I would be interested to hear how you do. I have found some spots on the other forums by the Glendale and 219 bridges.

JLG

I fish Deep Creek occasionally including ice fishing.  you should find quite a few weedbeds in August and perch and eyes should be around them.  target 15-20 feet of depth.  good luck and you are wise to fish early as the rec boats will be heavy on the lake up to Labor Day.

Dog

my brother-in-law has a condo in deep creek across Wisp.
most dock space is privately owned and rented. sorry can't be much help, maybe the rental property you are renting thru will know...

Fished DCL twice in the last 5 years. not much luck but both times the weather was kinda crap. can't give any advice on spots or locations....
One more cast...

Netman

Hey BigChief - I have been fishing Deep Creek the past several weeks. The water was 79 Deg. F yesterday. The walleye have been hard to find, but like was already said, stick to weedy areas around rock bottoms.  I have been catching more large perch than Walleye. There is a large shallow area just off the state park swimming beaches that comes up to around 11 feet deep, and has an immediate drop off to approx. 40 feet of water. Fishing the deep side of the week edge has yielded a few fish.  The bass have been little difficult this year. I was told that a tournament last weekend the second place finisher had approx. 14 lbs with a 5 fish limit ( I assume Largemouth). But I did watch a young man pull a nice 3.5 pounder out of the water with his zebco and a worm  :)  Fish early and late in the day â€" especially on the week end â€" the boat traffic can get bad. Good Luck!

BigChief

@Netman thanks big time for the update. I appreciate it.
Any recommendations for bait down there? Do they like leeches like in Canada? And at least I can use minnows down there.

Netman

Bill’s outdoor shop located on the lake has minnows for $6/doz.  They are located on the lake between Rt 219 Bridge and the Glendale RD. Bridge, they also have a dock for boat access to the shop. They have leaches and night crawlers available if you want. I have used leaches in the past, but I usually stick to the minnows.(yes you can fish with minnows in MD). The lake has a growing population of Northern Pike. I tried using some moonshine lures and Rapala jigging raps but it became too costly when the little 18” to 24” northern’s would bite me off.  I have caught most of the walleye either fishing with hook/split shot and minnow on or near the bottom near the weeds or using a slip bobber.  Good luck! I hope you enjoy your visit.

My go to lure is a simple tube jig, pitch it under and around the docks for some Bass if the are hitting.

Good luck! I hope you enjoy your visit.