Lake Erie Walleye Population

Started by Hodgey1, April 24, 2018, 07:39:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hodgey1

Quote from: Kyle Skelding on April 25, 2018, 11:47:32 AM
Most of the system is navigable  by boat, Hartley Bay is a good launch point. Just be care when boating, there are a few shoals in open water that often come up to just below the surface (depending on water levels they are tricky to see).

Thanks for the tips, I love exploring new areas.
Walleye Rock!

Hodgey1

I got my first chance to get out on Lake Erie fishing today, out of a dock in Erie Pa. We were on the water before sun up, first walleye on before 6am. We had the boats limit of walleye “24”  in two hours. Almost all  17- 21” and one 24”. So the population seems to be as advertised “ best in 20 years” . Our Method was trolling deep diving stick bait out on planner boards.

We Ate a few for dinner tonight, they were delicious!
Walleye Rock!

Ozzy30

That's a great day on the water.  Congrats.

Hodgey1

Quote from: Ozzy30 on July 09, 2018, 08:59:28 AM
That's a great day on the water.  Congrats.

Thanks OZ, it was. Glad to see our fishery is doing so well.
Walleye Rock!

Hodgey1

I got another chance to get out yesterday with my son Inlaw, the fishing was crazy good!

Walleye Rock!

Jay Thomas

Great picture Hodgey1. Thanks. Since I fished the western basin of Lake Erie out of Colchester back in the early 60s, I'm interested in the depth that was productive for the walleye. From the picture of the stick bait, I'd guess 24 to 30 FOW.

Jay

Hodgey1

Quote from: Jay Thomas on July 14, 2018, 02:24:28 PM
I'm interested in the depth that was productive for the walleye. From the picture of the stick bait, I'd guess 24 to 30 FOW.
Thanks Jay, that picture captured our day well, great fishing and perfect weather and lake conditions. We were primarily fishing 45-50 of water with fish suspended at 30. We fished threw a few Massive schools, picking up fish on flat line with deep diver and spoons off of downriggers.
Walleye Rock!

Jay Thomas

Thanks for the depth information Hodgey1.

Jay