Lake Erie Walleye Population

Started by Hodgey1, April 24, 2018, 07:39:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hodgey1

Just read in our local paper that the population of walleye in lake Erie is at a 20 year high. Report from friends said last years fishing couldn't have been better.

http://www.goerie.com/sports/20180422/biologist-lake-erie-walleye-population-is-strongest-in-more-than-20-years
Walleye Rock!

puckster_guy

Hi Hodgey, That's great to hear about walleye populations in Lake Erie. I've never fished that lake. I live in Toronto and kept my boat on Georgian Bay. I wish they'd transfer some of your fish there. Walleye catches were mostly incidental. Mostly bass, pike and musky. Not a bad combo really. Musky would add a whole new dimension to kip.
Funny, since I got my camp I only fish kip. All my gear is there as well. Before that I've fished all over Ontario.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Hodgey1

Quote from: puckster_guy on April 24, 2018, 08:32:45 AM
since I got my camp I only fish kip. All my gear is there as well. Before that I've fished all over Ontario.

Puck, I completely understand not fishing elsewhere when you own a slice of heaven. Do you have another fishing spot in Ontario that comes close to the tranquility of Kipawa?
Walleye Rock!

puckster_guy

No, Georgian and the Muskokas the fishing was good but they're too busy and noisy. I got several spots near camp where I'm guaranteed(almost) to be alone all day. With walleye to boot. Nothing beats Kipawa.

puckster_guy

Some spots along the French river towards Georgian Bay held lots of walleyes and quiet.

Hodgey1

Quote from: puckster_guy on April 24, 2018, 09:40:33 AM
Some spots along the French river towards Georgian Bay held lots of walleyes and quiet.

I looked on google maps and see the French river connects Lake Nipissing to the Georgian Bay. There's some quite spots left to fish there Puck?
Walleye Rock!

Jay Thomas

Interestingly, there are no size restrictions for fishing walleye in Lake Erie (Zone 19).

Jay

Hodgey1

Quote from: Jay Thomas on April 24, 2018, 12:25:59 PM
Interestingly, there are no size restrictions for fishing walleye in Lake Erie (Zone 19).

Jay

Jay, Pennsylvania waters of Lake Erie are 15" minimum and 6 per day. I hope to find out how the population is doing soon!  ;)
Walleye Rock!

puckster_guy

crackers42

Walleye fishing out of Erieau, ON last year was on fire.

Limit in an hour and unfortunately there were the same boats going out (not charters) day in and day out.

The best I have seen it though is fishing (right now) out of the Detroit River (where all the erie pickerel go in the spring).

Lowrance was showing stacked from 30 feet up to 10 feet and side imaging was unreal.

Hodgey1

Quote from: crackers42 on April 24, 2018, 06:31:03 PM
Lowrance was showing stacked from 30 feet up to 10 feet and side imaging was unreal.

Wow, that's crazy, when I was a kid in the 70's they talked of Lake Erie being a dead lake. Things have come a long way in 30-40 years.
Walleye Rock!

Kyle Skelding

Quote from: puckster_guy on April 24, 2018, 02:01:54 PM
Around here Hodgey, and west towards Georgian bay. https://goo.gl/maps/c3QWA3ac3MD2

Incredible multi-species fishing on the French as well. Caught 6 species in one day last year ( Sm Bass, Walleye, Pike, Muskie, Perch, Catfish) I backcountry camp here every year, fishing from kayaks. Tons of quiet spots. The French is a close 2nd to Kipawa if I was ever to buy a camp.

Hodgey1

Quote from: Kyle Skelding on April 25, 2018, 09:15:46 AM
Tons of quiet spots. The French is a close 2nd to Kipawa if I was ever to buy a camp.

Sounds like a beautiful place, I might need to take a week a do some exploring. Is the river system navigable with a small motor boat?
Walleye Rock!

Hodgey1

Quote from: Jay Thomas on April 24, 2018, 12:25:59 PM

Jay

Jay, that is interesting. I looked, zone 19 is the entire Canadian waters of lake Erie.
Walleye Rock!

Kyle Skelding

Sounds like a beautiful place, I might need to take a week a do some exploring. Is the river system navigable with a small motor boat?
[/quote]

Most of the system is navigable  by boat, Hartley Bay is a good launch point. Just be care when boating, there are a few shoals in open water that often come up to just below the surface (depending on water levels they are tricky to see).