Dry Ice

Started by Chazz, April 30, 2018, 11:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chazz

Anyone know where I could buy dry ice.  Any location from Huntsville though North Bay to Temiscaming

Jay Thomas

Hi Chazz,

If you don't mind me asking, why dry ice? A Coleman Extreme 5 cooler will keep block ice 5 days at temperatures up to 32 degrees C (if the lid is kept closed 99% of the time). Our group has been using these type coolers for years.

Jay

Chazz

It's to keep meats frozen - I have an extreme cooler (yeti knock off) that will keep ice up to a week but would like to keep the the meats frozen rock solid until using them.  Can do without the dry ice but will buy if available

Hodgey1

Quote from: Chazz on April 30, 2018, 01:19:41 PM
It's to keep meats frozen - I have an extreme cooler (yeti knock off) that will keep ice up to a week but would like to keep the the meats frozen rock solid until using them.  Can do without the dry ice but will buy if available

I’m pretty certain no dry ice would be necessary if the cooler is full with frozen food/meat. If its not full, fill voids with solid block ice, I use 1/2 gallon frozen milk jugs. I have a large 20 year old igloo cooler that I use every year to take frozen prepared food to our family beach vacation. I keep the cooler shaded, but outside in 80*f+ temperatures for most of the week. I everyday pull a meal out and normally the foods are still frozen 5-6 days later.
Walleye Rock!

Canuckbass

Coleman Extreme 100l and freeze a couple water jugs.
If I just use ice blocks I put meat or anything I don't want wet into Tupperware containers and work great in cooker.
We have propane fridge at camp but easier to just use cooler sometimes.

puckster_guy

I freeze bottled water and empty plastic soda bottles filled with water. I use them to ice the coolers and as they melt I use them for drinking water.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Balsams

Chaz, the difference between a good and epic experience is comfort and planning. You are bang on with the dry ice, it's job is to keep the drinking ice good....and you can NEVER have too much ice. When you pack a cooler for the boat it's nice to have good ice ALL WEEK. We always bring a big cooler of just ice and kept SOLID with some dry ice....dry ice in the propane fridge's freezer too when it goes on the fritz (freeze fish for home solid) as a back up implemented on more than one occasion. For us this gets purchased and packed at point of departure in the city...not sure about purchase in Huntsville or North Bay. Check with Google as I'm sure you can find it in any home town.

SgtCrabby

I agree, dry ice is good.  I use it in my coleman extreme to get fish home. 
But I also drive 5 days, long distance, and into heat.  Last summer the temperature when I got home was 103f (about 40c).  Cooler also rides in a pickup truck bed, add sun to it.

Fort Wisers

@Chazz, personally we've never used dry ice and are not 100% sure these guys sell it but here's a link to Praxair in North Bay.
Most welding / industrial cleaning shops will have access to dry ice as it's often used for dry ice pressure cleaning, so this might give you a lead anyhow.

https://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/Ontario/North-Bay/Praxair/6945579.html

Flatline

I think Medigas (Medi-gas) in North Bay sells it. 

Chazz

Called Praxair they do sell it about $5 per kg.  Thanks Fort Wisers and everyone else commenting on my post.