Author Topic: Kipawa Lodge July 28 - Aug 4th questions  (Read 291 times)

Offline jrdumbaugh

Kipawa Lodge July 28 - Aug 4th questions
« on: May 07, 2018, 12:00:14 AM »
My farther started taking my family to Kipawa Lodge in 1986 when I was 7 years old. We went every year for the next 15 years or so. We havenít been in about 15 years I would guess. But our drought ends in 2018! We are coming back! My mom and dad, my wife and I and our 2 girls 3 and 6 years old, and my brother and his wife and boys who are 10 and 9 years old. To say Iím excited would be an understatement. My dad has always wanted to take the grandkids and at 78 years old itís time we get it done!

So Iíve spent the last 15 years walleye fishing Lake Erie in Ohio. Mostly trolling with planer boards with worm harnesses and large crankbaits like Reef Runners, Bandits, Deep Husky Jeerks, Perdect 10ís, etc. My memory of Kipawa was 1/8 or 1/4oz jigs with a worm or lindy rigs. Iím going to need to buy some new tackle for Kipawa, does anybody have any suggestions of fishing equipment and techniques? Iím not sure how much fishing we will get done with my 3 year old but my 6 year old hangs tough on Lake Erie so Iím hopeful. We are pulling our 22í Grady White up and renting a boat for our gang of 10.

Excited to be on this forum and excited to be coming back to Kipawa Lodge. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Joe Dumbaugh
TommyBoy

Offline pike mike

Re: Kipawa Lodge July 28 - Aug 4th questions
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 07:05:22 AM »
Welcome back jrdumbaugh and family . Not sure what time of year you are returning but for our group mid June light jig heads  , pumpkin or yellow color with a night crawler slow slow slow along the bottom . Many have success slip bobbering  .I've never ventured that way 

Offline Jay Thomas

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 10:48:34 AM »
Hi Joe,

From my perspective, walleye fishing is walleye fishing. Find the walleye and figure out what they want. Your live bait should include leeches (will be still be available that time of year) and crawlers. My fishing partner will use leeches while I will use crawlers (either jigging or bottom bouncing) until the walleye indicate a preference if any. I usually bottom bounce (2 oz bouncer) to find walleye (back trolling in S curves to cover various depth contours) until we find the right depth. For the end of July, I'd probably start in 25 FOW and work both sides of that contour to find the walleye. Whenever we find pods of walleye numbering more than 8, we'll try jigging them. For jigging, I use a medium light fast 6 foot St Croix Premier rod coupled with a Shimano Stradic 1000 reel spooled with 8 pound Crystal Fireline - that's what works for me - there's plenty of other choices. And remember, on Kipawa, the bite is usually light.

Don't know if you are interested but there are lake trout available too. You can jig for them (with tubes) along long points protruding into the deep basins. Since I have a preference for trolling, my go to method for lake trout fishing is a magnum dipsy diver and a lure but that method requires heavier rods, reels and line strengths.

Enjoy your return to Lac Kipawa.

Jay

Offline T-Bone

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 01:54:27 PM »
We've been going up to Kipawa on the spillover week from late-July to early-August since...I don't know...for a long while now. We prefer that specific week for many reasons, but leading are a consistent walleye bite, good pike action, nice weather, and best of all...fewer skeeters and other biting nuisances. You couldn't have picked a better week for your 'homecoming'.  ;)

Fishing will be very different than Erie and Jay has provided some good insights. Thing to remember is to keep it simple. Jig and leech catches 99% of our walleyes...all of which are taken while anchored on a specific spot. Pike are caught on spoons, spinners, jigs (when fishing for 'eyes)..etc. We don't target lake trout that time of year...and I don't specifically recall anyone cleaning a lake trout in the fish hut ever during that week...I just don't think they're that active and to spend several hours of time in a boat to catch a handful of fish sounds like work, not fun. Anyway...

I'll PM you to give you some insights on where to look and what to do...at least share with you what works for us...and we typically do very well. We fish out of Alwaki Lodge which you will pass on your way into Kipawa Lodge. Similar lake structure down there as near Alwaki...so I'm sure you'll find the same bite there that we do.

Welcome back...

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Offline crackers42

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 07:01:12 PM »
I take my three girls up there and trolling with a worm harness is by far the easiest for them.

Light weight 4 - 5 foot rod with a 1/4 ounce or 3/8 rubber core sinker and a worm harness.

Find a spot holidng smaller fish around the 1-3 pound range should be 10-20 feet.

I have tried jigging with the kids and they tend to loose interest pretty fast.

Another trick to get them engaged is bring a garabage pail in the boat and throw the little pickerel in there with some water, kids will have a blast watcing them swim around and letting them go afterwards.

Offline Canuckbass

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 09:02:36 AM »
1/4oz plain lead jighead, 4" Berkley Power Minnow Smelt colour fished just off bottom. No trolling for me.
6'6 med/ light fast rod, 8lb mono Trilene xl

I find the water is so clear on Kipawa no fancy colour jighead needed, they can see it from far.

Good luck

Offline Hodgey1

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 05:48:13 PM »
Great week to be at Kipawa! Loved the lack of bugs, the weather last year and the fishing was excellent. Weíll keep an eye out for the Grady this year and stop and say hello.

78 more days.
The fish are calling and I've got to go.

Offline Jighead

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 05:33:17 PM »
Great to hear you are heading back. All have provided great suggestions. I will be heading back to Alwaki - I'll be coming out when T-Bone is heading in. I typically only use Pink or White jig (1/8 oz) with half of crawler or leech. The bite is always light, so just prepare for a slight tension. I use 6 lb stren with an ultralight rod and reel.