Kipawa Lodge July 28 - Aug 4th questions

Started by jrdumbaugh, May 07, 2018, 12:00:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrdumbaugh

My farther started taking my family to Kipawa Lodge in 1986 when I was 7 years old. We went every year for the next 15 years or so. We haven’t been in about 15 years I would guess. But our drought ends in 2018! We are coming back! My mom and dad, my wife and I and our 2 girls 3 and 6 years old, and my brother and his wife and boys who are 10 and 9 years old. To say I’m excited would be an understatement. My dad has always wanted to take the grandkids and at 78 years old it’s time we get it done!

So I’ve spent the last 15 years walleye fishing Lake Erie in Ohio. Mostly trolling with planer boards with worm harnesses and large crankbaits like Reef Runners, Bandits, Deep Husky Jeerks, Perdect 10’s, etc. My memory of Kipawa was 1/8 or 1/4oz jigs with a worm or lindy rigs. I’m going to need to buy some new tackle for Kipawa, does anybody have any suggestions of fishing equipment and techniques? I’m not sure how much fishing we will get done with my 3 year old but my 6 year old hangs tough on Lake Erie so I’m hopeful. We are pulling our 22’ Grady White up and renting a boat for our gang of 10.

Excited to be on this forum and excited to be coming back to Kipawa Lodge. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Joe Dumbaugh
TommyBoy

pike mike

Welcome back jrdumbaugh and family . Not sure what time of year you are returning but for our group mid June light jig heads  , pumpkin or yellow color with a night crawler slow slow slow along the bottom . Many have success slip bobbering  .I've never ventured that way 

Jay Thomas

Hi Joe,

From my perspective, walleye fishing is walleye fishing. Find the walleye and figure out what they want. Your live bait should include leeches (will be still be available that time of year) and crawlers. My fishing partner will use leeches while I will use crawlers (either jigging or bottom bouncing) until the walleye indicate a preference if any. I usually bottom bounce (2 oz bouncer) to find walleye (back trolling in S curves to cover various depth contours) until we find the right depth. For the end of July, I'd probably start in 25 FOW and work both sides of that contour to find the walleye. Whenever we find pods of walleye numbering more than 8, we'll try jigging them. For jigging, I use a medium light fast 6 foot St Croix Premier rod coupled with a Shimano Stradic 1000 reel spooled with 8 pound Crystal Fireline - that's what works for me - there's plenty of other choices. And remember, on Kipawa, the bite is usually light.

Don't know if you are interested but there are lake trout available too. You can jig for them (with tubes) along long points protruding into the deep basins. Since I have a preference for trolling, my go to method for lake trout fishing is a magnum dipsy diver and a lure but that method requires heavier rods, reels and line strengths.

Enjoy your return to Lac Kipawa.

Jay

T-Bone

We've been going up to Kipawa on the spillover week from late-July to early-August since...I don't know...for a long while now. We prefer that specific week for many reasons, but leading are a consistent walleye bite, good pike action, nice weather, and best of all...fewer skeeters and other biting nuisances. You couldn't have picked a better week for your 'homecoming'.  ;)

Fishing will be very different than Erie and Jay has provided some good insights. Thing to remember is to keep it simple. Jig and leech catches 99% of our walleyes...all of which are taken while anchored on a specific spot. Pike are caught on spoons, spinners, jigs (when fishing for 'eyes)..etc. We don't target lake trout that time of year...and I don't specifically recall anyone cleaning a lake trout in the fish hut ever during that week...I just don't think they're that active and to spend several hours of time in a boat to catch a handful of fish sounds like work, not fun. Anyway...

I'll PM you to give you some insights on where to look and what to do...at least share with you what works for us...and we typically do very well. We fish out of Alwaki Lodge which you will pass on your way into Kipawa Lodge. Similar lake structure down there as near Alwaki...so I'm sure you'll find the same bite there that we do.

Welcome back...

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

crackers42

I take my three girls up there and trolling with a worm harness is by far the easiest for them.

Light weight 4 - 5 foot rod with a 1/4 ounce or 3/8 rubber core sinker and a worm harness.

Find a spot holidng smaller fish around the 1-3 pound range should be 10-20 feet.

I have tried jigging with the kids and they tend to loose interest pretty fast.

Another trick to get them engaged is bring a garabage pail in the boat and throw the little pickerel in there with some water, kids will have a blast watcing them swim around and letting them go afterwards.

Canuckbass

1/4oz plain lead jighead, 4" Berkley Power Minnow Smelt colour fished just off bottom. No trolling for me.
6'6 med/ light fast rod, 8lb mono Trilene xl

I find the water is so clear on Kipawa no fancy colour jighead needed, they can see it from far.

Good luck

Hodgey1

Great week to be at Kipawa! Loved the lack of bugs, the weather last year and the fishing was excellent. We’ll keep an eye out for the Grady this year and stop and say hello.

78 more days.
Walleye Rock!

Jighead

Great to hear you are heading back. All have provided great suggestions. I will be heading back to Alwaki - I'll be coming out when T-Bone is heading in. I typically only use Pink or White jig (1/8 oz) with half of crawler or leech. The bite is always light, so just prepare for a slight tension. I use 6 lb stren with an ultralight rod and reel.

jrdumbaugh

Thanks for all the info. I think I’ve about read everything I can on this site. Making final preparation for our July 28th trip, only 1 month out. I still have some questions, any help is appreciated:

1. Is the only and best place to launch your boat still at Kipawa of your heading to Kipawa Lodge?We’ve driven back a logging trail to hunters lake before but that was a rough road. It looks like there is a new road that takes you to the back of Grindstone lake, is there a place to launch there?

2. I’ve read a lot of your post on colors. I’m used to using extremely bright colors for walleye at Lake Erie. Lots of bright purple and pinks. The last month we have been crushing walleye trolling true tip 40 Jets with the small Michigan stinger spoons that are crazy bright colors. I realize the water is much clearer at Kipawa and thanks to your advice I will try to use more natural colors, but do you guys think the bright colors are a waste of time on kipawa?

3. Trolling Speed? As the water temps heat up on Lake Erie we tend to troll faster and with more aggressive action on our baits. We r trolling spoons as fast as 2.5mph right now and cranks as fast as 2.4mph right now. Of course much slower in the spring and when using worm harnesses. Any thoughts on trolling speeds? Plan on casting a lot at kipawa but trolling is what I know and am accustomed too.

4. What do you guys put on your jigs? We used to put a mister twister curly tail grub onto our jigs and then a live worm as well. Now I believe a lot of people are using Berkley Gulp or Power Bait Minnows with no live bait. What do you guys suggest? What length? I’m bringing 1/8oz and 1/4oz jigs. I know I have one suggestions for a 4” berkley power minnow smelt. Anything else?

5. Lake Trout: I’m planning on using the large dipsy’s and trolling spoons for some Lake Trout. Don’t plan to spend much time on it but may give it a try once or twice.

6. Pike: I think I have some good crankbaits and spoons if and when we target Pike. Any tips on depth or time of day for late July early August?

7. Fishing Licenses: You can only buy them in person in Quebec? We are staying in North Bay on trout lake for two nights on the way up, can we purchase our licenses in North Bay?

Thank you thank you for all your help and guidance.

Jay Thomas

Quote from: jrdumbaugh on June 24, 2018, 01:19:02 AM

3. Trolling Speed? As the water temps heat up on Lake Erie we tend to troll faster and with more aggressive action on our baits. We r trolling spoons as fast as 2.5mph right now and cranks as fast as 2.4mph right now. Of course much slower in the spring and when using worm harnesses. Any thoughts on trolling speeds? Plan on casting a lot at kipawa but trolling is what I know and am accustomed too.

7. Fishing Licenses: You can only buy them in person in Quebec? We are staying in North Bay on trout lake for two nights on the way up, can we purchase our licenses in North Bay?

Here's my own experience re trolling speeds. I tend to mostly back troll with bottom bouncers looking for walleye. From end of Jun thru end of Sep, I try to keep my speed at 1 mph or less (I'll even resort to dragging drift socks to decrease my trolling speed).

You won't be able to buy your fishing licences in North Bay. However, there are convenient places to get your licences in Témiscaming or in Kipawa - see http://www3.mffp.gouv.qc.ca/english/wildlife/licence/city.asp

Jay

crackers42

1. you would be quicker to launch at Kipawa than travel down to Grindstone
2. Red, Black/White, Gold, Silver spinner worm harness @ 0.9 mph
3. I find trolling all year except opener will far produce larger fish and more of them
4. a lot of years experience and you cant beat a worm harness with natural bait (unless you are going for lake trout  or whitefish)
5. You would be better off jigging on 80 to 100 foot shelfs with brown colored tubes and a really good graph (To watch them chase it).  Your dipsy wont get you down enough in July.
7. No but you can get them online.

Ozzy30

I use a dipsey diver all the time for Lake Trout at kipawa, you don't have to get to bottom just to the thermocline which is usually 30-40 ftw. If you have good electronics it doesn't take long to recognize where the thermocline is. If you are staying at Kipawa Lodge that is pretty close to good lake trout fishing.

limacharley

Hi Joe-I own the camp just before Kipawa Lodge, in the deep bay to your left as you're driving in; In fact, at that time of year you'll probably be fishing at the end of my dock...its one of the go to spots at that time of year. If the Big Lund is tied to the dock, I'm there. Give me a shout. I've covered some of your question below.

Quote from: jrdumbaugh on June 24, 2018, 01:19:02 AM
Thanks for all the info. I think I’ve about read everything I can on this site. Making final preparation for our July 28th trip, only 1 month out. I still have some questions, any help is appreciated:

1. Is the only and best place to launch your boat still at Kipawa of your heading to Kipawa Lodge?We’ve driven back a logging trail to hunters lake before but that was a rough road. It looks like there is a new road that takes you to the back of Grindstone lake, is there a place to launch there? Not worth the hassle of driving that far. The road to Hunter's Lake is still rough. Driving to Grindstone and doubling back isn't worth the washboard pounding on your trailer. Launch at the Gov't launch and just bring more gas cans. Buy your gas in the states if you can.

2. I’ve read a lot of your post on colors. I’m used to using extremely bright colors for walleye at Lake Erie. Lots of bright purple and pinks. The last month we have been crushing walleye trolling true tip 40 Jets with the small Michigan stinger spoons that are crazy bright colors. I realize the water is much clearer at Kipawa and thanks to your advice I will try to use more natural colors, but do you guys think the bright colors are a waste of time on kipawa? Keep it simple, no need for buying extra stuff. 4-5 different jighead colors and worn harnesses is all you need. I fish that area every weekend. I use drop shots 99% of the time.

3. Trolling Speed? As the water temps heat up on Lake Erie we tend to troll faster and with more aggressive action on our baits. We r trolling spoons as fast as 2.5mph right now and cranks as fast as 2.4mph right now. Of course much slower in the spring and when using worm harnesses. Any thoughts on trolling speeds? Plan on casting a lot at kipawa but trolling is what I know and am accustomed too. Troll as slow as you can. If you have a bow mount electric that works too.

4. What do you guys put on your jigs? We used to put a mister twister curly tail grub onto our jigs and then a live worm as well. Now I believe a lot of people are using Berkley Gulp or Power Bait Minnows with no live bait. What do you guys suggest? What length? I’m bringing 1/8oz and 1/4oz jigs. I know I have one suggestions for a 4” berkley power minnow smelt. Anything else? You have lots of kids so depending on their attention span and how often they fish, I would recommend 1 pound of leeches for every 2 serious fishermen not including the kids. Maybe buy 40 worms for them.

5. Lake Trout: I’m planning on using the large dipsy’s and trolling spoons for some Lake Trout. Don’t plan to spend much time on it but may give it a try once or twice. Everyone fishing the shoal in front of the island for lakers-white tube jigs and spoons.

6. Pike: I think I have some good crankbaits and spoons if and when we target Pike. Any tips on depth or time of day for late July early August? Cruise the shore behind the lodge on the other side of the point, lots of little islands back there, beaver houses etc...or the inlets to the streams surrounding the lodge.

7. Fishing Licenses: You can only buy them in person in Quebec? We are staying in North Bay on trout lake for two nights on the way up, can we purchase our licenses in North Bay? You must be in Quebec to buy your license. There's Stop 102, Pronature, Kipawa Bait etc...

Thank you thank you for all your help and guidance.
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein