Author Topic: Bait fishing for Lakers?  (Read 40 times)

Offline PETERBFLY

• Live to Hunt and Fish.. Work to pay for both..
Bait fishing for Lakers?
« on: June 20, 2018, 11:59:50 PM »
So we mostly troll for Lakers with lead line and do pretty good at times.  Other times not so great.  Was wondering if anyone bait fishes for Lake Trout and wouldnt mind sharing the bait they use/prefer?  I would like to switch things up this year and my father would enjoy drifting some bait as opposed to trolling all day.  If it makes you feel better sharing your knowledge, we never keep Lake Trout, so they will all be thrown back to be caught another day.
Thanks in advance.
Pete
Live to Hunt and Fish.. Work to pay for both..

Offline RHYBAK

Re: Bait fishing for Lakers?
« Reply #1 on: Today at 07:42:39 AM »
My two cents.

Since the only bait you can use are worms or leeches, those are your live bait options.

If i were to drift for laketrout, I personally would use a white bucktail jig..... a white twister tail .... etc. Berkley minnows in smelt or Herring.

Stuff like that.
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Offline puckster_guy

« Reply #2 on: Today at 08:09:47 AM »
I caught a few jigging a Cleo of the bottom. Tube jugs work well too.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Offline Greg

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:10:02 AM »
Peterbfly...

Like you, I troll with lead core line on a big real (line counter) on a heavy rod.  I have three laker rods specifically geared up for Kipawa and it is the only time in the year they get used.

Since they changed the laws and do not allow any minnows to be used, I have tried multiple baits - plastic minnows, hard lures, etc. with VERY little success. 

Then last year, based on a conversation here on this forum, I put on some spoons - we tried various colours, but focused in on gold with orange - we had great success and a lot of fun.  It is hard to hook into a keeper these days (what is it 75cm? or 85cm?) but I know they are out there.

My advice, either drift, jig, or troll, I think you can have some success with spoons!

Cheers!   Greg

Offline puckster_guy

« Reply #4 on: Today at 08:13:33 AM »
I think they like the flash of the spoons, Greg. With the stained water I'm sure it's pretty dark down there.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)