Any Updates from Ground Zero?

Started by T-Bone, May 21, 2018, 09:51:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T-Bone

AHHHH!!! The lake is open...people are fishing it...and I sit here wondering what's going on up there? Looks like a pretty stable and warm forecast for this week...

Any updates from outfitters or those checking the Board while you're there this week are GREATLY appreciated!!!

T-Bone.

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

wayne

Well T- Bone. Here is an update from my end. Haven't  seen this many big females being caught in a long time! All spawned out. I snuck away Friday night for 2 hours to get a first hand feel as to what was going on. We boated 25 fish 3 of them were 28- 30  inches. Smallest was 18 inches. Small males are still milking. Didn't keep anything. All guests are catching big fish and  eaters. You can see some pics and video on our facebook page. Hope this keeps you tide over till your fishing trip!

Hodgey1

Quote from: wayne on May 21, 2018, 06:33:11 PM
Well T- Bone. Here is an update from my end. Haven't  seen this many big females being caught in a long time! All spawned out. I snuck away Friday night for 2 hours to get a first hand feel as to what was going on. We boated 25 fish 3 of them were 28- 30  inches. Smallest was 18 inches. Small males are still milking. Didn't keep anything. All guests are catching big fish and  eaters. You can see some pics and video on our facebook page. Hope this keeps you tide over till your fishing trip!

Thanks for the update Wayne, wish we were there. Is the Facebook page public? If so, how do we get to it?
Walleye Rock!

crackers42

Agreed partly because of the slot but also the later ice out.

Largest on the weekend was 33 and half and pretty sure there was one one around puckster area that was over that

BigChief

I saw on Kipawa Lodge's facebook feed a video of a couple guys catching a 28" & 30" all spawned out.

32 days til TML!

puckster_guy

I just spoke with a neighbour he says the fishing has great. And these guys mostly troll. They're fishing narrows mostly... 1 to 3 pounds avg.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Hodgey1

Quote from: Hodgey1 on May 21, 2018, 09:03:00 PM
Thanks for the update Wayne, wish we were there. Is the Facebook page public? If so, how do we get to it?

I now have put two and two together and realize that Wayne is from Kipawa Lodge. I went onto their Facebook page and saw the videos of some nice fish being caught. I wish I could snap my fingers and be there right now, just the thought of being in Kipawa with a fishing pole and a cold beer gets me energized.  instead I will continue to toil and dream of a day when work isn't in the way my pursuit of all of my hobbies. I don't want to wish my life away and hurry up getting even older, but this thing called work is getting old after 36 years of full time.

Enough whining  :'(.........., is there any preferred technique in the early spring for eye's or is it just the same techniques, only shallower? P.S. When do the Black fly and skeeters arrive? Please don't tell me the same day as ice off.
Walleye Rock!

RHYBAK

Quote from: Hodgey1 on May 22, 2018, 12:29:45 PM
Quote from: Hodgey1 on May 21, 2018, 09:03:00 PM

I now have put two and two together and realize that Wayne is from Kipawa Lodge. I went onto their Facebook page and saw the videos of some nice fish being caught. I wish I could snap my fingers and be there right now, just the thought of being in Kipawa with a fishing pole and a cold beer gets me energized.  instead I will continue to toil and dream of a day when work isn't in the way my pursuit of all of my hobbies. I don't want to wish my life away and hurry up getting even older, but this thing called work is getting old after 36 years of full time.

Enough whining  :'(.........., is there any preferred technique in the early spring for eye's or is it just the same techniques, only shallower? P.S. When do the Black fly and skeeters arrive? Please don't tell me the same day as ice off.

Black Flies generally arrive when the leaves start to bud on the trees.
Mosquitoes arrive when it get to warm for the black flies.
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

crackers42

generally speaking black flies will come in with the 1st heat (about now) with full blown swarms in the month of June.

Usually by mid July to Aug 1st they burn off.

Mosquitoes will hang around (if you are around a swamp or low land) all year and generally out at night.

T-Bone

That's the kind of report that makes me wish I were there now; thanks so much for taking the time to let us know what's happening.

But as the thread states...bugs are coming...and no thanks...never again for me that time of year. Whenever I've been up north in late-May, the black flies are just hatching (but not biting yet), or just starting to bite. Early-June is only for those who wish to be very uncomfortable with a 24/7 onslaught of black flies and skeeters flying in every nook of your person. Every nook. Never is a long time, but I'm 99% sure I'll never willingly go up there during early-June again.

For some reason I can't seem to see (or find) the videos on the Kipawa Lodge FB page. The only videos I see are from 2017 or one from May 12th. Photos appear older too. [scratching head]

Hodgey1

Quote from: T-Bone on May 22, 2018, 04:43:42 PM
For some reason I can't seem to see (or find) the videos on the Kipawa Lodge FB page. The only videos I see are from 2017 or one from May 12th. Photos appear older too. [scratching head]

Tbone, scroll down a little further to see the 2018 videos, for whatever reason, they’re below the 2017.

Heading says “Opening evening, 2018. Snuck away from the lodge for a couple of hours!“
Walleye Rock!

smitty55

I get the same as you TBone. One short vid from May 12 then Sept2017. I went one by one all the way to 2012. Nothing else with that title or from 2018.

Cheers

BigChief

@smitty55 & @T-Bone are you actually following their page? If not you may only be able to see the posts that were made public. They may have posted it for members only but @wayne could probably answer that question better than me.

GregL

Well, we learned a tough lesson!!

Spent the weekend in the Alwaki & Hunters lake area. Got onto a pretty decent trolling pattern Sunday AM with the largest fish being 26 inches, most were in the 19-21 inch range. Only hit 1 small laker as well.

Monday we had a very tough day, got a few but only in the morning.

I kept thinking we need to run further south, looks like we should have! Oh well, this is only our second opener, next year we will venture further south if we are not finding the fish.

We did manage to catch fish using a few new techniques and baits, so not all is lost :)

A much needed weekend none the less! Was a great weekend at Alwaki again, wish we could go back next weekend!!!

T-Bone

Quote from: GregL on May 23, 2018, 09:23:33 AM
Got onto a pretty decent trolling pattern Sunday AM with the largest fish being 26 inches, most were in the 19-21 inch range. Only hit 1 small laker as well.

Yeah...maybe should have cruised down to Edwards or Butney Narrows just down past Kipawa Lodge...likely would have found the fish a bit more stacked there due to moving water. Oh well...hindsight is like that. And if most of the fish were in the 19-21 inch range, that's some fun fishing for sure. Nice work.

Thanks for the quick report...always good to hear what's happening around Alwaki Lodge.