Any Updates from Ground Zero?

Started by T-Bone, May 21, 2018, 09:51:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillageD

Quote from: T-Bone on June 05, 2018, 02:57:56 PM
Quote from: Hodgey1 on June 05, 2018, 12:24:10 PM
Anyone just getting back with any new updates?

Was thinking the same thing earlier today; across, say, the top 5 "most-mentioned" fishing camps, plus those with private cabins, plus those that have fished the area via camping or other, there are about 150+ anglers hitting this lake each week. Probably more like 200, but let's stay conservative. That's over 300 individual experiences fishing the lake since opener.

Fishing Reports = 2...a whopping .7% Trip Report Score.

Yeah, I know what some people think..."Why would I tell you about my fishing trip so that you can steal my spots and my techniques." To that I say, "Oh, brother. The lake has 1,100 miles of shoreline...I'm pretty sure your 'secrets' are safe." I give people the exact spot, what to do, when to do it, etc. Sometimes they succeed, sometimes not. But all I really ever want to know is, "How is the lake? Catch anything? Have fun?"

So...where are all the fishing reports?

Going up next week Tues-Friday... will give a report shortly after that!

SgtCrabby

Great report @Hodgey1
I wish I would have thought of a work report. 

In a nutshell retiree report:
Slept in late, go for daily walk,  go shopping for up coming fishing trip (boring; flashlight batteries).  Try to chill out (we hit 100 degrees f),  get trailerable cover on my boat.
That is all.

Captain Hali

Headed up to Alwaki Sat. June 16 and would appreciate a heads up on the black fly & skeeter situation. Also any info on what depth the eyes are in . I'll post a report shortly after my return on the 23rd. Thanks.

crackers42

15 feet or less and bring lots of bug dope.

I mean lots!

Riverrat

Bugs are terrible during the day.  Much worse at nigh lol

puckster_guy

Ya gotta Love it!! I look forward all winter to going to camp, then I make few trips in June due to the bugs. I'm heading up tomorrow morning for a couple of days. Time to break out the mesh suit, lol.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

50fish

Any specific bug repellent you guys suggest?

pike mike

Im sure we all have our favorites but I would suggest strongly on bringing and wearing a bug jacket with removable hood to go along with which ever popular bug spray you bring .I will be wearing  my bug jacket most of next week and when the bugs get extra hot zipping up the removable hood . Some foolish old man once told me , "Lots of bugs ...Lots of fish " 
Not sure if its true but having fished 3 Seasons for 20 years in mid June I get Im now the foolish old man

RHYBAK

Quote from: pike mike on June 11, 2018, 02:48:30 PM
Im sure we all have our favorites but I would suggest strongly on bringing and wearing a bug jacket with removable hood to go along with which ever popular bug spray you bring .I will be wearing  my bug jacket most of next week and when the bugs get extra hot zipping up the removable hood . Some foolish old man once told me , "Lots of bugs ...Lots of fish " 
Not sure if its true but having fished 3 Seasons for 20 years in mid June I get Im now the foolish old man

You're not there yet Mike.

One case diet root beer please

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

T-Bone

Quote from: pike mike on June 11, 2018, 02:48:30 PM
I would suggest strongly on bringing and wearing a bug jacket with removable hood to go along with which ever popular bug spray you bring .I will be wearing  my bug jacket most of next week and when the bugs get extra hot zipping up the removable hood . Some foolish old man once told me , "Lots of bugs ...Lots of fish " 

Well, I loathe the bugs as has been well documented. That said, sometimes I've seen when I hate the bugs the most I love the catching the most. Just sayin'....

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

smitty55

Here's my proposed solution for the bugs. Spray the inside of your boat with a Permethrin spray like https://absorbine.com/products/fly-control/ultrashield-ex/.  Use it as a premise spray to repel and kill many insects, including those toe biting flies I can only hope hehe. As a bonus it will also protect your dog for up to two weeks from ticks and fleas and more and survive some swimming too. The same spray on outdoor clothing offers excellent protection from ticks etc for 5 washings even.
Can you imagine a bug shield around your boat?  :) I haven't tried it, but it does sound like a worthwhile experiment during the worst of the bug season. I buy it at TSC.

Cheers

Fort Wisers

Was up at my brother's camp for our annual father's day weekend (my bro, dad and myself).
Weather was gorgeous, we worked most of Saturday but took a moment here and there to hit the water for a couple of quick boat breaks.
Water surface temp rose to nearly 47F by Saturday afternoon but was down to 44F Sunday morning as Saturday night was cool.

Bugs were hit and miss but not really too bad considering the time of the year.
We did go for one ATV explore just before dinner and in the back bush the bugs were healthy, but that's to be expected.

Was good to get out on the lake, that Kipawa water just seems to be a little deeper blue than other lakes.....

limacharley

I don't think your thermometer is working properly because it was warmer than that 2 weeks ago. I'm going in for my fourth weekend since the opener. I'll let you know what the temps are. The fish were schooling on rock points and shoals then. Water temp was 60°.
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

crackers42

Depends on the day right now but it will fluctuate from 55 all the way up to 65 on a sunny day right now.

I agree I think your temp was off it hasn't been 47 since opener.

Although 50 feet down the other day it was 49.

59 yesterday and fish are right up in the shallows.

Fish the sun rise shoreline in the morning and sunset shoreline in the afternoon.

T-Bone

Quote from: smitty55 on June 12, 2018, 12:28:45 AM
Spray the inside of your boat with a Permethrin spray like https://absorbine.com/products/fly-control/ultrashield-ex/.  Use it as a premise spray to repel and kill many insects, including those toe biting flies I can only hope hehe. As a bonus it will also protect your dog for up to two weeks from ticks and fleas and more and survive some swimming too. The same spray on outdoor clothing offers excellent protection from ticks etc for 5 washings even.

The last time we went up with major bugs (June 5th a few years back), we tried everything including Permethrin. Sprayed our clothing down every day at least once. Used 100% DEET, wore buffs on face/over ears, Thermacells, bracelets, every trick in the book, etc. and so on. None of it did anything. The only protection was to cover up every exposed inch of skin. If skin is exposed, it would get bitten. Not sure I'd spray that stuff on my dog though...may come home with a 3rd ear...  :o

Embrace every moment...you only get it once