News:

Upgraded to SMF 2.1.4
We hope you like the new look and feel!

Main Menu

May long weekend 2018 trip report

Started by OttawaPhil, May 22, 2018, 01:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttawaPhil

So I took my dad fishing and camping at kipawa.
Weather was tough. It rained all afternoon Saturday while only being a little ovdr freezing. Being wet and cold all day sucks. Sunday was clear but cold, then Monday finally nice weather. Water temperature was very cold 3-4 degrees.

We saw lots of fish on the fish finder at 40-60 feet deep. Targeted them with the downriggers but most would not bite only caught a couple of the deep fish. Also trolled the shallows lots. Fished about 35 hours in total.

Most of our fish were small, but we did get one 4lb pike that we ate. My dad got a 6lb 27" walleye, but sadly it had to go back and not get eaten due to slot limits.  The fish we caught seemed very sluggish and lazy likely due to the 3 degree water. I makes them easy to reel in when you have one, but I think most are not feeding due to winter temps. There was still some ice on the edges of the lake...

T-Bone

Thanks for the report. Yikes on the weather and water temps. I would have pulled into the nearest camp (Alwaki if u were at Uncle Ron’s) and got a cabin by Saturday at 5pm. Can’t hang with cold and rainy anymore.

Thanks again!
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Greg

Thanks for the report Phil - to bad about the weather.  I'm with T-Bone - can't do that rain and cold for more than 2 hours any more.  Good on ya' for stickin it out and finishing your trip.

Greg

OttawaPhil

I think we will look into a cabin for next years opening long weekend trip, the year before when we were there in the long weekend in may there was a snow storm! Then in the morning ice on the tents and frost everywhere.
Then we can save the camping for more reasonable temperatures.

I was glad I have a stove on my boat at last so we could have all hot meals and coffee on the boat while we troll ;-)

bucknbull

Thanks for the report.

I love camping, but rain can really dampen your spirits, especially if you leave the cap off.  ;D
Good on you for sticking it out.

Greg

OttawaPhil - I am interested in hearing more about the "stove on the boat" - what do you have? or use?  A long time ago, I've tried a portable BBQ but wind would always put out the flame and we had to stop, go ashore, into the forest a little to get some cover.

Thx
Greg

Hodgey1

Quote from: Greg on May 24, 2018, 07:06:21 AM
I've tried a portable BBQ but wind would always put out the flame

Greg, I have a Weber portable grill that is beyond amazing and has worked great for years. I have yet to use it on the boat, but everywhere else I've used it, performance is top notch. Along with many other hobbies I am a cook/baker/bbq guy and I have had many different grills in my 50 some years and none "NONE" preforms as well as this small portable grill running off throw away bottles. Every square inch of the cooking surface is uniformly heated and will give 1000*F  type grill marks and sear. Just recently I used it on a very windy day and as long as I kept the hinged lid closed, it preformed extremely well.

I normally don't gush about many product, especially since it seem nothing is built well today and typically grills are throw away junk, this isn't. I highly recommend it to anyone who needs a portable grill or even as a main grill for a smaller family. I use it with an adapter hose to run off a 20lb tank.

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-50060001-Q1000-Liquid-Propane/dp/B00FDOONEC/ref=sr_1_3?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1527172783&sr=1-3&keywords=weber+q1000
Walleye Rock!

Greg

Hodgey, that is a nice little BBQ - my portable one I bring with me on trips is much more basic than that - a $60 unit on special at Lowes for $39.99!!!  It works perfect when stationary and out of direct wind.  Defiantly a case of you get what you pay for.   

Have you ever used yours while in a boat like OttawaPhil mentions?

Greg

Hodgey1

I haven’t yet but plan to this summer. I’ll report back when I do.
Walleye Rock!

crackers42

Agreed with Hodgey, I have the same one and it is hands down worth every red cent.

Canuckbass

Now I’m interested in bringing my portable and exploring the lake for a day with a bbq lunch.

limacharley

Jeez....BBQing on a boat with gas fumes????what could go wrong?
Reminds me of a SCTV scit with John Candy's role of Billy Sol Hurok...."Watch him blow up real good"...
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

SgtCrabby

I have cooked on board. 
But it was on a small habachi grill,  in an aluminum canoe (gas fumes was not an issue).

It sure shut up people in other boats in the morning when I had fresh coffee with bacon and eggs (Smells travel so well over water). 

puckster_guy

When I was on Georgian Bay I used the same Hibachi grill Sarge has. Sausages, hamburgers or whatever A hot lunch or dinner was better then cold sandwiches.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

T-Bone

Quote from: limacharley on May 28, 2018, 09:14:38 AM
Jeez....BBQing on a boat with gas fumes????what could go wrong?

I have to admit...doesn't sound like the safest idea in the world. Why not just pull over and post-up on shore for an hour? I mean, you're either fishing or cooking/eating. I can't imagine how you can do either effectively if you're trying to do both at the same time.
Embrace every moment...you only get it once