Key landmarks & Destinations on the Lake

Started by Greg, May 25, 2018, 08:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hodgey1

I have read this thread a couple of times in the last year, each time wishing there was a Good map showing all of these cool destinations. As part of my work for a living, I’m a map maker/GIS guy. I am going to contemplate the idea of creating a colabartive map project with the members here and highlight some cool destinations.

I will try to purchase a good quality map while at Pro Nature and then scan it on my large format scanner at work and then share to allow those knowledgeable here to mark it up, including potential areas of hazard to get to such cool places. @crackers42 seems to know a few places as well as @puckster_guy and @T-Bone @RoK @Greg

Please chime in if this is a worthy project.
Walleye Rock!

Gordo2270

Quote from: Hodgey1 on July 13, 2019, 09:17:29 AM
I have read this thread a couple of times in the last year, each time wishing there was a Good map showing all of these cool destinations. As part of my work for a living, I’m a map maker/GIS guy. I am going to contemplate the idea of creating a colabartive map project with the members here and highlight some cool destinations.

I will try to purchase a good quality map while at Pro Nature and then scan it on my large format scanner at work and then share to allow those knowledgeable here to mark it up, including potential areas of hazard to get to such cool places. @crackers42 seems to know a few places as well as @puckster_guy and @T-Bone @RoK @Greg

Please chime in if this is a worthy project.

I'm in....glad to help if I can...have started research in the forms for fishing location etc in a word file and have a full size map of Kipawa from TrakMaps you can scan...toporama is also good for maos

Gord

T-Bone

Hodgey, I have an older map I got off of eBay that includes Kipawa all of the lakes around the system all the way over to Dumoine. Hard to find all of that on a single map. I'll bring it up and you can take a look. Great project and very worthwhile.
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Hodgey1

Thanks @Gordo2270, I am going to do some research and see what the best means to do a collaborative map are. My fantasy would be hosting it somewhere anyone from the board could access it and mark it up. Once complete, then it could be permanently posted here.

@T-Bone I look forward to seeing the map. Is it a USGS Type/Government map or a third party type map? If its of good quality, i would like to purchase one myself. If you can, reply with details of who produces the map, maybe there’s a product number on it? Thanks T!
Walleye Rock!

T-Bone

Quote from: Hodgey1 on July 14, 2019, 09:23:20 AM
Is it a USGS Type/Government map or a third party type map? If its of good quality, i would like to purchase one myself. If you can, reply with details of who produces the map, maybe there’s a product number on it? Thanks T!

No...it's a Kipawa District tourism map from March 1969. Has a listing and map location of the outfitters on one side, ads for lodges and local businesses on the other side. The detail of the lakes is really cool...every little lake in the entire district is on it; some of the names have changed I believe, but I'd rely on crackers to ID some of these to the names he uses. Again, I got it on eBay many moons ago and haven't seen another listed since. I'll bring it up.

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Hodgey1

Walleye Rock!

JigginFool

I've got the exact same map that was my dad's.  He started going up there probably the late 40's early 50's, I don't know where he got it up there but I still refer to it.

RoK

Hi Hodgey

Sorry, don't count me as knowledgeable. I'd love to help you but I am learning myself.

Good luck,
Ron!
Cheers, Ron

Hodgey1

This link below will take you to a collaborative map of the Kipawa area, points of interest and points of concern. It's intended purpose is informational only and not to be used for navigation, as the positions and locations marked are general in nature and not precise. Feel free to add anything that would be useful to our forum group.

Kipawa Map link: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1i0q7_FP8SmDyGalN6TGk9qZ1u8gHmX-I&ll=46.92770145972488%2C-78.91424112110366&z=11
Walleye Rock!

hinorth

Hodgey1

Quote from: hinorth on April 11, 2021, 08:17:33 PM
Hodgey, this is a great idea.   
Thanks @hinorth . This is a good time to announce that I have been given a tremendous amount of mapping information "Arc Map/GIS Shape files" related to Kipawa from a member here. Once I get a chance to weed through what he has given me, I will make the information available to all KFF members. I will keep you all posted.
Walleye Rock!

plowjock

Hi Hodgey 1
Great job you've got started there.
Learned a lot already from your work.
Names and places falling into place.
Please don't get discouraged, very fine idea and carrying it through to fruition is going to be fantastic for all outfitters on the lake and their guests.

Morrow21

Hodgey
The map is awesome! I’ve spent way too much time scanning the shorelines and reminiscing the last few days!

Hodgey1

Quote from: plowjock on April 21, 2021, 06:45:39 PM
Hi Hodgey 1
Great job you've got started there.
Learned a lot already from your work..

Thanks, hope it’s useful for you.

Quote from: Morrow21 on August 27, 2021, 05:46:06 PM
Hodgey
The map is awesome! I’ve spent way too much time scanning the shorelines and reminiscing the last few days!

Glad you like it. If anyone has anything to add, I will do it.
Walleye Rock!

Nateln4p

The area of above Ile Fox and beyond is one area I'd like to spend more time exploring.
We went up one afternoon by boat on marine equipment but turned around at 3 seasons camp as the day was coming to an end.