Key landmarks & Destinations on the Lake

Started by Greg, May 25, 2018, 08:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crackers42

We try and see new lakes every year.  We may go to turners falls in a couple we will (big pickerel up there this time of year) or up north east of turners falls into Valens (need a canoe or very light 12 foot aluminum for this trip as it involves jumping through two separate swamps).  The more they me spent finding the lakes generally the larger the reward.

Puckster a nice trip for you would be to go up to raged chute but turn right before you get there and float back down to booth which is a big lake (brings you out on the opposite side of the maniwaki)

Biggest pickerel 35 inch and biggest pike (longer then the boat oar) have both come out of mckillop which is right around the corner from you.

There are some big big pike north of red pine

puckster_guy

Sounds like a plan Crackers. When I bought my piece of paradise I was supposed to look at a camp for sale Booth lake. Problem was I decided to look at the lots at Red Pine first. I was Hooked and bought one on first sight.  Sorta sounds like my ex-wife... hopefully this ends better lol.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

SgtCrabby

Wow @crackers42,  that is a lot of local information.   
I hope many folks get the opportunity to explore some of these areas.
Thank you very much!

crackers42

another decent trip for those down kipawa lodge / aliwaki is to take a left before you come through butney narrows up through the dam and once you get into that lake there are some beach / sand areas for a shore lunch

RoK

Great thread guys. Lots of interesting information. Thanks!

We have been going many years and have always fished the areas between Alwaki and Butney narrows. Being there for only 4 or 5 days one trip/year and with some of the players changing throughout the years, we tended to stay in this familiar area, decompress from work and perfect our fishing spots. Now we have a consistent core of guys going and we know how and where we can always catch walleye. This thread has inspired me to try and convince the guys to spend one day exploring other areas.

another decent trip for those down kipawa lodge / aliwaki is to take a left before you come through butney narrows up through the dam and once you get into that lake there are some beach / sand areas for a shore lunch

and

If you want something shorter (And I think it was mentioned above) instead of going through the chute to turtle island (not sure if you are referring to the old turtle camp) right before you get into Butneys hang a left and this will take you up through the dam (really good spot on opener but careful you are behind the wire) and this will take you all the way up to Hunters but on the right side.

@crackers42  - I am looking at the map, I don’t see a dam anywhere. Is that heading up towards Turtle island from Kipawa lodge? How is the walleye fishing in this area you describe? Not looking for spots, just in general. Can you navigate around the dam in a boat. Also what do you mean about careful you are behind the wire?

Looking for input form anyone on this: For Canal bay- I have read how beautiful this area is. How is the fishing? I either cannot find a map that is labeled well (e.g. google maps) or a map that is labeled, such as the outfitter map, that I can zoom in and actually read where canal bay is. When we head out in the lake leaving the town of Kipawa, we turn right at Ile Corbeau heading towards Alwaki and beyond. Would we stay left of Ile Corbeau and head towards the other side of Thompson Island? I think I can barely make it out at approx. 10:00 o’clock over Thompson island and it would be on the right if we were to  head towards Laniel.

Thanks in advance!
Cheers, Ron

T-Bone

Here are the locations you're looking for; I believe the North River Dam WAS a dam at one time and is no longer whole. We've been up to Canal Bay...nice place....didn't fish up there as it was more of a lazy hot day and we were just going for a cruise. Here are the locations.

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

RoK

Great, thanks T-Bone, thats where I was thinking the 2 places were and now that I zoom in on satellite view I can see what looks like half a dam.

Our problem is with only 4 days of fishing. I want to explore, but dont want to lose a fishing day. Its the dilemma I am thankful to have.
Cheers, Ron

crackers42

Yes north river damm on the left before you enter it is shelf of the wind is going in can be very good.  Used to be a wire but now just a visible marker this is spawning area from about now until opener .  Before you enter butneys hang a left coming from that end and follow the shoreline.  When you go through north river the next lake is a lot of sand and lake trout if you know where to look keep on going and you will eventually be up at hunters point.  There is turtle island and two turtle camps depends what people reference

Kyle Skelding

Approximately how long is the ride from Alwaki to North River Dam? Never been down that way on our own. Brian took us 10+ years ago to Grants Pass, all this talk of adventure has me curious. Thanks for all interesting locations! 

Greg

Depends on what boat you are in and the wind conditions (waves crossing hunter lake can be pretty rough!).  If you are in a lodge boat - probably at least 30 minutes if not 45 minutes.    I have done that trip at full throttle doing over 40mph on a calm night and it was probably 20 minutes.

It is a great trip!

puckster_guy

[

Puckster a nice trip for you would be to go up to raged chute but turn right before you get there and float back down to booth which is a big lake (brings you out on the opposite side of the maniwaki)

Biggest pickerel 35 inch and biggest pike (longer then the boat oar) have both come out of mckillop which is right around the corner from you.

There are some big big pike north of red pine
[/quote]
I've only been out that way once and I wanna learn that water.  I spent 7 yrs just getting to know my side of the red pine chutes. I used to hunt Musky in Georgian bay. Big Pike are just as much fun. I've gotten several 20lbs+ and lost some massive ones. Nobody fishes them here. I should have some big tackle around. So much water so little time...
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Kyle Skelding

Quote from: Greg on April 01, 2019, 12:15:41 PM
Depends on what boat you are in and the wind conditions (waves crossing hunter lake can be pretty rough!).  If you are in a lodge boat - probably at least 30 minutes if not 45 minutes.    I have done that trip at full throttle doing over 40mph on a calm night and it was probably 20 minutes.

It is a great trip!

Thanks Greg, we have a 16.5' Legend with a 90hp, should be a little quicker than the lodge boats  ;). If we get a nice calm day we'll have to explore that area this year.

smitty55

Quote from: Kyle Skelding on April 01, 2019, 01:52:25 PM
Quote from: Greg on April 01, 2019, 12:15:41 PM

It is a great trip!

Thanks Greg, we have a 16.5' Legend with a 90hp, should be a little quicker than the lodge boats  ;). If we get a nice calm day we'll have to explore that area this year.

Kyle when Hunters really gets going with a steady NW wind your boat will be way too small, that can be a real nasty 2 miles between the two narrows as I've seen up there, so pay attention to wind forecasts. Once into Edwards the rest of the round trip is fine, regardless if the wind picks up over the day. So as long as you start earlier in the day if they're calling for windy and do the ccw circle tour from Alwaki you'll be fine. I've been through Turtle Chute and up that way but never did the round trip. Sand beaches sound good, I'm not sure which side of Turtle Island they're on.
It's kind of vague now lol, but some guys I knew who stayed at the outpost cottage one year wrecked his prop going down the south side of that "big" island NE of Turtle chute, so I think it's best if you stay on the North side of it, like Greg did here in this vid I enjoy watching and sharing. I'm sure he can give you some good pointers. Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrNQbZimFmc

Kyle Skelding

I hear ya Smitty, we've been caught on Kipawa once and we'll never make the same mistake again. We were fishing muskeg bay one year, a fairly sheltered location, and we didn't see a storm coming until it rolled over the hills and was right on top of us and we were unable to get back onto the main lake and back to Alwaki. Ive seen the chop on Hunter while fishing the narrows and it can get wicked in a hurry.

Gordo2270

Quote from: T-Bone on March 21, 2019, 01:51:07 PM
Here are the locations you're looking for; I believe the North River Dam WAS a dam at one time and is no longer whole. We've been up to Canal Bay...nice place....didn't fish up there as it was more of a lazy hot day and we were just going for a cruise. Here are the locations.

Hi T-Bone

Ever heard of the sawmill bay....saw it on a video, but no idea of location...trying to put together a map for a 2020 fishing trip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgUre6mBHjQ

Thanks

Gord