Watson Lake Cabins May 18-25

Started by Teach, May 29, 2018, 06:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teach

Another memorable trip into Watson Lake.  I left Metro Atlanta Wednesday May 16.  Picked up a flat of crawlers in Cincinnati and pulled into central Ohio and picked up Dad.  On Thursday, we picked up Clarence at an exit off I-90.  Boarder crossing was uneventful, Toronto traffic was slowed due to construction, but somewhere on 11 the traffic evaporated and smooth sailing to Temiscaming for food and a room.  The drive in took us about 6 hours.  Manawaki was great 70+ kmh.  Red Pine has improved since the fall.  Bearn is worse than last fall.  Saw snow and ice in some shaded low areas.

This was our first time fishing opening week.  The water was higher and the current was stronger than I would have expected.  The weather was sunny, warm, and dry.  No bugs and no bites with no repellent applied during week.  The first we spotted bugs was Friday after packing up for the trip out and on the ride out.

Fishing was great!  Our slowest day was Monday and it got better as the week went on.

I was the lucky one who caught two 25 inch walleyes the last hour of fishing on Friday. 

The ride home was smooth and we did get checked by game wardens prior to crossing the peace bridge.  All they wanted to see was our license and our fish and they were super friendly.

14 weeks until we make the next trip into the bush.

Canuckbass

Balsams

Love the last photo. Such a great time of year to make the trip.

NortonJoe

Our group is heading to Watson the last week in July...how are Andy and Gladys?
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
~Henry David Thoreau

Teach

Gladys is good and Rose and Bruce were in and out during the week helping her.  They seem to think Andy won't be in camp this season.

Nancy

Great report. Let me say @Teach , that was enough to get the fishing glands salivating. Thanks

T-Bone

Nice report...and nice work on the fish...thanks so much!!! When I started reading, "Left Metro Atlanta..." I thought, wow...this guy is dedicated. Then a stop in central Ohio, then another...then onward to Kipawa area.  Sheesh...that's a trip and a half!!!

Nice to see you get the 'ol boys up there still...I'm sure they love it just as much as my Dad and his group of 'ol boys loved it when they could still make the trip. And best of all...no bugs!!!!

Thanks again...

Embrace every moment...you only get it once