Jig heads

Started by RHYBAK, June 06, 2014, 09:10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RHYBAK

After reading a few different posts here,I have a stupid question.
One thread mentioned using jig heads and just jigging below the boat with a beer in one hand and his rod in the other.
Another thread mention trolling with jig heads.

I'm used to casting the jig as far as possible,letting it settle on the bottom,then retrieving it back to the boat in a steady jigging fashion.
Does nobody else do that?
I personally would never think of trolling with a jig head.
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Marco

When you are on fish, vertical jigging produces good numbers.  Drop it till it hits bottom, tighten the lie, then bang that jig head up and down on the bottom and you'll nail em.  When the fish are more selective the cast and retreive works well.  I have also found that putting on a slip weight with about 2 - 3ft of leader behind a barrel swivel works great with just a red hook and a leech for the cast and retreive method.
Beer got you into this, beer will get you out

T-Bone

Don't let Marco BS you...he's chucking that jig head out casting it most of the time. It's only when 'ol T-Bone starts nailing them vertically that he switches over to that.  ;)

In all honesty...we do whatever works at that moment, but I can never recall any of us 'trolling' a jig. Maybe drifting a jig right on bottom, or casting/retrieving, but not trolling.

"Snap jigging" is a method by which you are moving/trolling and pulling the jig aggressively up-n-down as you cover an area that is holding fish. Mostly used on shallower flats....<10 fow. We've tried this in a limited manner...can't recall the results so it must not have been that great.

7 weeks from right now we'll be crossing that Peace Bridge and heading toward St. Catherines, Ontario via the QEW. Nice.

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

johnny walleye

I HAVE TROLLED  WITH 1/8 OZ JIG AND WHITE MR TWISTER WITH GOOD RESULTS

Mattie

I like casting jigs. Its what I do back home because 9 times out of 10 I'm on the shore. ( I wish I had a boat).

CaptainCrappie

Well General, the small amount of time I use a jig now, I'm usually vertical jigging.  I'll make a cast now and then  but after I loose a few in the rocks, I figure that's enough of that and just vertical it.  I like to use Cabelas Wobble jigs or a small Road Runner and most of the time I'll put a half of crawler on it.  My first 3-4 Kipawa trips I couldn't catch a walleye vertical jigging. I don't know if T-Bone remembers but I picked his brain years back, about how he dose it with the jig. (Now be nice guys, no jokes please with the time that took)  He was kind enough to answer all my questions and never once referred to me as being a moron.. Thanks again T-Bone! Caught a few casting with a Whistler jig and crawler but then I got into the slip bobber thing and the Whistler has been retired.  Lost too many anyways. Caught a few drifting with a Phelps Floater. I usually think I'll fish more with a floater, but never do. General, have you used floating jigs at Kipawa?  Those annual monsters you caught over the years....  Jigging or trolling? Colonel Steve and Private Yuriy are jig men, right? Now Steve's brain should be picked before he loses it.  Yuriy's memory banks probably have been deleted and no back up is available. 62 days.

C.C.
You don't get these days back.  Live each day as if it were your last and one day you will be right.

Fishn Deep

90% of the time I jig fish casting out and vertical.  Have had limited success back trolling jigs which is just a hair faster than drifting. Don't much care for it because going in reverse in a camp boat with a tiller is a pain. One hand on motor, one on rod...well you get the picture.

NortonJoe

I usually will use either the cast and retrieve method with jigs or the straight down method.  I prefer the stright down method 'cause it leaves a hand free for my beer!  For me, when trolling for walleye, it's usually a Mepps spinner (or something similar) or a Hot n' Tot (or something similar).  Honestly, Ive just never thought to troll a jighead...maybe I'll have to try!
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
~Henry David Thoreau

RHYBAK

C.C.

Most of my big fish have been caught on a Float line near the sign.One as you saw last year near Snoopy.
One ( the one in the Avatar)trolling a leech harness near my 3 logs.

Colonel Steve loves to Jig.
He can cast and retrieve that thing all day.
As for Private Yuriy.....He will do what we do. He is very flexible. We say troll....he trolls.
We say float....he floats.

T-Bone

OK...now I have a stupid question. What is a leech harness? Same thing as a crawler harness, but with leeches on it?  ??? If so, what's the typical set-up look like? Color? Drift / troll speed? Weight system?

Three logs, eh? Snoopy, eh? Hmm....may just have to dig into this a little more...

RHYBAK

Quote from: T-Bone on June 09, 2014, 09:47:10 AM
OK...now I have a stupid question. What is a leech harness? Same thing as a crawler harness, but with leeches on it?  ??? If so, what's the typical set-up look like? Color? Drift / troll speed? Weight system?

Three logs, eh? Snoopy, eh? Hmm....may just have to dig into this a little more...

Just a single hook worm harness with a leech on it instead of a worm.
.5 ounce barrel sinker ahead of the harness.
troll as slow as possible.
not a lot of line out.
no beer in my hands. Rod in one hand ,motor handle in the other.
Wearing a hat ,sunscreen and sunglasses.
Colour of blades in the green family.

T-Bone

Got it...thanks.

Do you find a particular structure pattern or element of structure to be more successful than others? Break line? Rock pile? Shoal? Tapering shoreline? I'm assuming you're on bottom, but that may be a bad assumption. 

Hmm....no beer in hand not good...may have to hold my rig with my feet....  ;)

RHYBAK

THE THING IS WHEN YOUR TROLLING,YOU PASS OVER ALL KINDS OF STRUCTURE WITH EVER CHANGING DEPTHS.

Your forever letting line out or reeling it in to maintain some closeness to bottom.
You may not like to fish that way because it's like work. No where near jigging or float fishing where you put up your feet ,sip on a beer and wait for a jerk from both ends.

Administrator

Just wondering if anyone has used floating jigs and if so how successful were you? is it a harder technique to master as far as getting a good hookset?

RHYBAK

I for one have NEVER used them.....NEVER

Looks like DOGS set up is based on floating jigheads.