Jig heads

Started by RHYBAK, June 06, 2014, 09:10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt.Guy

I have used floating jigs with success while "slithering" the jig across the bottom. Slithering is just casting the jig out , let it settle to the bottom and reel in very slowly...like half a turn and stop for a few seconds to a few minutes.
We use round split shot (no ears) anywhere from 4 inches to a foot or more above the floating jig with just enough weight to hit the bottom.
Here's the critical part...like any jigging , you have to keep a tight line to feel the typical "Kipawa" light bite...especially when slithering , because you have to feel the bite through the split shot and the friction of the split shot contacting the bottom.
Walleye may tend to hang onto the floating jig a little longer than a hard jig just because they are squishy.
Hope this helps !

SgtCrabby

I've been wondering how you use the floating jigs and get the feel of the bite.  I'm thinking I may try this technique.  Thanks!

Dog

The light bite/ short strike is the reason I created my slip jigging technique... the fish bite is the on the fisherman side of the weight so one should be able to feel a lighter bite easier. Time will tell though... I need to figure out slip bobbering as well...
One more cast...

puckster_guy

Hi guys. For jigging I like to use the K.I.S.S. method of jigging. Just stop the boat over one of my spots and either just drift or anchor. One hand operates the beer tin the other the rod. I only put the beer down to get another one or to put a fresh worm on or to fight and net the walleye. Rasy as pie. For short strikes or  light bites I use cheater hooks. Simple eh? Two jerks seperated by a thine line. YA  GOTTA LOVE IT!!
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

RobWozny

After years of pitching and bouncing jigs I decided to troll them to see what happened. I have found there are two techniques that tend to produce results... The first, 1/8 oz jig (I prefer Fuzze Grubs) using the camp boat motor I troll over rock piles and structure feeling the bottom with the jig. This is almost a slow lift and drop technique similar to bouncing. The second is with an 1/8 or 1/16 oz jig (Fuzze Grub or Gulp) Using a trolling motor, I troll weed lines and mud bottoms around areas I think might be holding fish. I let the line carry the jig just off the bottom and troll around until I find them. If the jig rides to high (wind) I use the heavier 1/8 oz. Once you find them you can slow down and jig but there are times I have found they only bite when I am moving so I continue the trolling method.

Walleye Willy

Hi All.  Love the site! As far as jigging goes I would say that 95% of the time we would use Rybak's technique. When you fish with KSmithy72 though, there are no rules...SO last year at Ogascanan toward the end of the week we tried a jig head with a leech while trolling, just for the hec of it. Much to our surprise we caught several walleye of decent size using that method. We were bouncing off of rocks, which helped I am sure. In fact by the last day we had run out of leeches so in desperation I picked up a dried out dead leech from the bottom of the boat (what I refer to as leech jerky) :-\ put it on the jig  and trolled away. Believe it or not I actually caught a keeper walleye with it. Guess when they are biting they'll eat anything! Had the best luck with solid red colored jigs. One more week and we'll be off again to O. Can't wait  ;D  Good Luck to All!! Willy