Dumb Girl Question about Power Usage For New Depth Finder

Started by Nancy, May 30, 2018, 11:43:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RHYBAK

My final recommendation is to go to the marina you purchased your boat and let them advise you.
What the heck.... Let them wire it in for you the way it should be wired in by the professionals.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

BigChief

@Nancy a little off topic from the power question, but I just purchased an Echomap Plus 73sv myself. And I also bought the one with US maps not Canada. With the chartplotter option they have a community that shares maps at the following location:
https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/fishandhunt/share-maps-quickdraw-community/

There are some small areas on there for Kipawa already that I plan to download before I go up. I then plan to share what I make when I go up on June 23 when I get back. Although I fish the TBL area and this year will be Two Moon Lodge. So not sure what may be out there for your area.

Canuckbass

We’re just on a different page on batteries.
Being a tournament background and having 100 boat fields, I can guarantee you every boat has one starting battery which starts main motor and runs electronics, lights, livewells etc.

The separate 24v or 36v system onboard is for trolling motor only.

Don’t forget, it’s a small aluminum and space is limited.

Carrying two batteries is safety but one good battery is all that is needed.

RHYBAK

Quote from: Canuckbass on June 04, 2018, 06:49:01 PM
We’re just on a different page on batteries.
Being a tournament background and having 100 boat fields, I can guarantee you every boat has one starting battery which starts main motor and runs electronics, lights, livewells etc.

The separate 24v or 36v system onboard is for trolling motor only.

Don’t forget, it’s a small aluminum and space is limited.

Carrying two batteries is safety but one good battery is all that is needed.

AMEN
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Greg

I agree with CanuckBass and Rhybak - one battery for starter and electronics, the other battery(s) are for electric motor only.

Keeping your main starter battery in good shape should be a priority though - use a good charger (I believe mine drains/conditions the battery and then fully charges it - don't unplug it half way or even 80% the way through a charge - always let it fully charge).   Also, take it inside in the winter, don't leave it on a cold cement floor, just put some scrap pieces of wood under it - and once a month, or every 2nd month, put a charger on it, to slow charge it at low amp.   I also mark all my batteries with a year purchased and usually never let a battery get older than 4 years before I decided to replace it.

I am sure others have their own ritual and beliefs on proper battery maintenance & conditioning, but this has helped me run trouble free for 15 years (...to be honest, the only time I ran into problems is when I chose to ignore my advice and I had to replace both electric motor batteries in my old boat in one year).

Greg

Canuckbass

I used to follow all the same ritual, battery off floor, warm and trickle charge once in a while. Then I spoke to a battery expert...
fully charge battery, disconnect it and leave in boat... never had an issue since. Same as my tractors.

He said a fully charged battery has no effects with cold etc.

It sure doesn’t make sense but it’s certainly worked for me for years now.

I store my stuff in a barn with many others, the day we have to get everything out I laugh at all the guys wrenching putting batteries back in etc... I connect positive cable, hit choke and turn key and drive tractors out. Easy peasy. My tractor battery is on its 8th summer.

We all do things differently, I like to keep simple and effective.

Greg

Interesting... I've seen a battery freeze and crack and make a heck of a mess in a buddy's boat - severe damage to the battery compartment and aluminium floor.

It really only takes all of 5 or 10 minutes to unhook 2 posts on 3 batteries and put them in my basement workshop... I agree with fully charging them before taking them out of the boat though... 

Greg

Canuckbass

Quote from: Greg on June 05, 2018, 10:21:11 PM
Interesting... I've seen a battery freeze and crack and make a heck of a mess in a buddy's boat - severe damage to the battery compartment and aluminium floor.

It really only takes all of 5 or 10 minutes to unhook 2 posts on 3 batteries and put them in my basement workshop... I agree with fully charging them before taking them out of the boat though... 

Greg

That’s the actual scary part!! It’s gets -30 here and no issues.