News:

Upgraded to SMF 2.1.4
We hope you like the new look and feel!

Main Menu

Walleye Spawn

Started by fishtildark, May 14, 2018, 08:55:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishtildark

If anyone has been wondering, like me, how the late ice out is going to affect the spawn/post spawn doldrums, good short read in the North Bay Nugget.
http://www.nugget.ca/
26 days.
So many lures and so little time.

puckster_guy

Gonna be up for a  couple of days. On the monday of the long weekend. I'm bringing a buddy from work. His first opener on Kipawa I'm hoping for some good luck. The fishing really picks up in July at my end of the lake. Leets see how it goes...
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

crackers42

fish were spawning under the ice.

You shouldnt see any females with eggs but you may see the odd small male with milk still.

Puckster, fishing picks up in your end 1st weekend in June (Especially above red pine and right around the corner from you ;)

By later Aug. early Sept in when you will see the east end of the lake really heat up for larger lake troun

puckster_guy

Been here since 1pm. launching the boat in the morning. The dummy forgot to buy worms. lol going for a troll. I'll let you know how I do. The fish are close already Crackers and coming in. A few days of r&r and fishing is what this old fart needs. :)

crackers42

Good luck

In front of joes would still hold fish if not go down the Lang narrows rights side across from the marker anchor 20feet from shore there are nice size sitting in there

Up past red pine on the turn to mckilop is good too

puckster_guy

Yup friends are catching trolling those narrows. I just got the boat ready to launch. Heading out right after lunch. I'm never up the kipawa river that way Crackers but I gotta check it out.7 summers here and I'm still learning the lake.

crackers42

Spawn was right on time this year, in another week I wouldn't waste  your time jigging.

Trolling with a worm harness in extremely shallow water will do the trick. 

Fish will be very aggressive and have the feed bag on first few weeks of June.

Canuckbass

Trolling.
I’m opposite opinion on trolling, why drive over them when I see a big one on graph and I can drop a jig and power Minnow right on his nose.
Worked this weekend, took a guest out for a bit, went to a new area exploring and within a minute a big arch shows up on the Lowrance and I show him the screen, throw back and let jig drop and wham!! A nice big keeper 20” walleye.
Usually I use a 1/4oz jighead, I was focusing on direct fish on screen and used a 3/8oz to drop straight down faster. It worked well.

We all fish differently which is great, I just hate trolling and still produce good fish. I also don’t have jig in water till I see a big arch on screen.

puckster_guy

You make a good point Canukbass. Trolling for me is means to an end sometimes. For instance as I'm trolling I too keep an eye on the bottom looking for fish. It's how I found many jigging spots. Sometimes I'll drop a jig othertimes I'll make a mental note as to depth and bottom conditions. And use that info at that place or similar structures. By covering water and miles of it, I find new places to jig. Irregardless of all that the best thing about trolling is I can smoke a cigar in one hand while holding a cold beer in the other watching loons and shorelines. While the rod is in a holder. Perfect hands free fishing. 😁

Canuckbass

Can’t argue the peacefulness of a good troll.

fishtildark

Quote from: puckster_guy on May 27, 2018, 02:28:46 PM
. Irregardless of all that the best thing about trolling is I can smoke a cigar in one hand while holding a cold beer in the other watching loons and shorelines. While the rod is in a holder. Perfect hands free fishing. 😁
Puckster , you pretty much hit on my Jeff Foxworthy description of myself... If you can handle the fishing rod, outboard motor , a beer and a cigar and be having a pretty relaxing time, you might be a redneck..
So many lures and so little time.