Fillets

Started by Oarin, June 13, 2018, 07:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oarin

Any first time Kipawa rookies, make sure to view the Threading a Walleye video at the top of the fishing discussion section. The game cops  may be looking to make sure it's done correctly and your fish is legal. It's a pain in the tush, but it's the price we have to pay for the few who try to cheat the slot regs. Good luck and PLEASE post a report when you get back home. Oarin.

limacharley

I find it quite easy to fillet them that way. What's a pain in the ass is trying to freeze them separately in a Ziplock bag so they can count them.
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

Oarin

Only going up to Kipawa once a year the new way is still a work in progress for me and  will probably be so for a first timer. Hopefully this year I'll get the hang of it. You're right on the freezing part. I use a vacuum sealer and it takes a lot more bag per fillet. One month from today I'll hopefully get to hone my skills!!

GregL

Last year I just gutted our fish and left the head on, but this year I did the same as this video, because freezing with the head on was a pain!

I used snips to cut the gill plate bone but this method looks way easier! I'm gonna try this next time.

Only thing I do differently is I cut out the cheeks and wings..they are awesome!!!

I find it a pain to not fully process the fish at the end of the day BUT!!! It's such a fantastic fishery, it's worth it!