Hot Spots for Pike

Started by Fly Eagles Fly, June 13, 2018, 03:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fly Eagles Fly

Are there any Pike experts that know of a great spot in Lake Kipawa. I have been fishing this lake for decades and have never caught a Pike.

I am in the Jawbone Bay to Pratts Bay area. 

Anybody have any suggestions/locations/time of day?

Greg

Last year was a banner year for us with catching 5 or 6 pike and some bigger ones also.  We caught them in different areas all within 10 minutes of alwaki lodge trolling with crank baits in about 6 to 10 feet depth.   Just as easily could have been a walleye biting. 

T-Bone

I don't mean to over simplify it, but we find pike in 'pike looking' spots, including beaver dams. And also when fishing for walleyes. Chances are you find the walleyes, you'll find the pike.
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Mattie

I am with T-bones group and although we usually fish walleye  I love fishing for pike also so here is my input.

Pretty much exactly what he said but I will add a few things that have happened when I have caught them over the years.

If you are in a back bay and happen to see ducklings dart across the water and freak out,chances are there is a pike there trying to get them. I saw this last year and first cast I caught a pike from where they darted from. It was pretty obvious one spooked them. That same day there was a small pike flopping near the shore that I did the same for.... I had the largest pike I have ever seen chase me into the boat twice. It was easily 4 ft. T-bone knows what I'm talking about as I still talk about it and went back after it each day.  Ill get him this year...

My first ever on Kipawa (and largest) was trolling for walleye around a shoal.

I also had one clamp onto a tiny walleye a few years back and held on. T-bone netted it for me. That was a fun one.

Cant wait to get up there in late July. I plan to fish for Pike more this year then I usually do.

pike mike

I will never claim to be a pike expert but I have spent much time , had much success and a great deal of fun catching the aggressive beasts . As my web name suggests , being the nick name my group refers to me as I really like fishing for pike . If you are targeting them I find casting large spoons , red devils , Williams wobblers ,five of diamonds or any number of lures towards shoreline beaver huts connected to deeper water is my go to technique . Many times a more jerky retrieve works best presumably simulating a wounded minnow .I am surprised that you have never hooked into a northern as they tend to be pretty aggressive most of the time . Having a good pair of polarizing glasses helps as far as seeing any follow ups and seeing the structure better that you are casting into     

puckster_guy

I use the biggest noisiest lures or spoons in my tackle box. I sometimes troll deep diving lures 20ft plus and catch many big pike that way as well as walleye.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Fly Eagles Fly

Thanks for all the tips everybody!

pike mike,  I have definitely caught a ton of pike which is why I love fishing for it so much but for whatever reason I have never caught one in Lake Kipawa. Ton of pickerel and lake trout but no pike.
Maybe it is just a very rare fish to catch in my lake

PETERBFLY

Bays and Coves my friend.  Get close to shoreline and you will find them.  Grab a map and scout out some spots.  Sometimes I find them lurking around some of the many island throughout the lake.  I hammered a 41” around 19-20lber last year in about 20’ of water off a small island.  Picture in the photo gallery
Good luck
Live to Hunt and Fish.. Work to pay for both..

Fort Wisers

@Fly Eagles Fly honestly your stomping ground of pickerel bay used to net us a few good pike a year.
When you enter the bay (right after the big rock that it seems everyone hits, the one with all the paint marks), just to the rh side was our favorite area to catch pickerel.

You likely already know what pickerel bay is like, you'll go the first 20 mins with zero sign of anything, then out of nowhere it seems like all the picekral have moved to this one bay.
If, during the frenzy, things suddenly stop for no apparent reason (no boats have entered the bay etc) it usually meant a large pike had moved in, at this point, try and throw out something large, like puckerster said, something that will attract a lot of attention........
That's the key, the pike didn't seem to want to be bothered hitting on some little lure, they were there to feed on something of substance.
We even had a situation one time where a buddy caught a small pickerel, was reeling it in and a large pike latched onto it and tore the back end right off, so his catch was 1/2 a small pickerel.

Now this was all 20 years ago so maybe a lot has changed but might be worth a try.
Geesh i miss that place!
Good luck......

crackers42

Puckster: Up above red pine first turn on the left in the weed lines

Dam up before you turn in Butneys

Right after ice out in the bays up Jawbone way

There is a portgage lake: up through butney hang a left, go back in there portage across the path and look to your right small little lake that is loaded.

There is also a lake right beside otter (right on the maniwaki that is shallow and hold a lot of them

Bright yellow spinners anywhere else