Whitefish

Started by Captain Hali, June 14, 2018, 02:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Hali

Has anyone targeted whitefish in Kipawa? Any info as to what depth, jigs or lures would be appreciated. My son and I fished Lake Simcoe 3rd week of May and caught some nice whitefish, up to 6 1/2 lbs. Like pike they have that extra row of bones in them. Once you know where they are and how they're oriented, it's not that difficult to cut them out with little loss of meat.breaded and fried they were delicious! I took care to cut most of the dark ( fatty) meat out of them.

CaptainCrappie

I never have targeted whitefish, but have caught them occasionally trolling or jigging for walleyes.  I have also caught a few vertical jigging for lake trout with a buzz bomb.  I saw what appeared to be on my locator, and what I thought was lake trout in about 60 ft of water out in front of 3 Seasons Camp and watched a fish hit the saw tooth pattern on the drop.  It turned out to be a white fish so they must at times inhabit the same water depth.  Over the years General Rhybak and I have exchanged smoked whitefish for contraband (used only for medicinal purposes only of course) and I feel that the smoked white fish beats any contraband hands down.  Unless of course you get sick like the General and need a cure.

C.C.
You don't get these days back.  Live each day as if it were your last and one day you will be right.

puckster_guy

That's a good question. I'd love to find some. A friend that I worked with (since retired, He's been to my camp several times) Live a stones throw from L Simcoe and also smokes them. I'd just drop them off...
But seriously folks... I wonder if there are any in my neck of the woods and how to find them. In Simcoe they hang with the lakers,
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

RHYBAK

Quote from: puckster_guy on June 14, 2018, 07:49:23 PM
That's a good question. I'd love to find some. A friend that I worked with (since retired, He's been to my camp several times) Live a stones throw from L Simcoe and also smokes them. I'd just drop them off...
But seriously folks... I wonder if there are any in my neck of the woods and how to find them. In Simcoe they hang with the lakers,

Same on Kipawa as on Simcoe.

Ice out they will be shallow.
Late June they will move deeper.
Whitefish are a schooling fish.
If you see groups of fish in 50 feet or more, they are likely whitefish.

Don't be afraid to look for them in 110 feet mid summer

The only problem with whitefish is that the heat spoils the flesh real fast.
They must be kept on ice or brought into shore pretty fast.
They are a great eating fish and it would be a real shame to see the meat get mushy
Excellent smoked, deep fried or baked in a roaster in a tomato sauce

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Captain Hali

Thanks for all your info re: whitefish. Will be looking for schools when trolling for lakers mid-day, and try jigging for them. Always have a cooler with plenty of ice and water in the boat, to keep fish from spoiling when out for the whole day, also keeps the brewskies cold.

crackers42

was just fishing them this week.

severe thermalcline @ 60 feet and whitefish were right below it.

Find a shoal going from 60 to 80 and jig them with brown colored tubes you will get them.

A very detailed graph to watch them chase is a must.