Bait fishing for Lakers?

Started by PETERBFLY, June 20, 2018, 11:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PETERBFLY

So we mostly troll for Lakers with lead line and do pretty good at times.  Other times not so great.  Was wondering if anyone bait fishes for Lake Trout and wouldnt mind sharing the bait they use/prefer?  I would like to switch things up this year and my father would enjoy drifting some bait as opposed to trolling all day.  If it makes you feel better sharing your knowledge, we never keep Lake Trout, so they will all be thrown back to be caught another day.
Thanks in advance.
Pete
Live to Hunt and Fish.. Work to pay for both..

RHYBAK

My two cents.

Since the only bait you can use are worms or leeches, those are your live bait options.

If i were to drift for laketrout, I personally would use a white bucktail jig..... a white twister tail .... etc. Berkley minnows in smelt or Herring.

Stuff like that.
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

puckster_guy

I caught a few jigging a Cleo of the bottom. Tube jugs work well too.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Greg

Peterbfly...

Like you, I troll with lead core line on a big real (line counter) on a heavy rod.  I have three laker rods specifically geared up for Kipawa and it is the only time in the year they get used.

Since they changed the laws and do not allow any minnows to be used, I have tried multiple baits - plastic minnows, hard lures, etc. with VERY little success. 

Then last year, based on a conversation here on this forum, I put on some spoons - we tried various colours, but focused in on gold with orange - we had great success and a lot of fun.  It is hard to hook into a keeper these days (what is it 75cm? or 85cm?) but I know they are out there.

My advice, either drift, jig, or troll, I think you can have some success with spoons!

Cheers!   Greg

puckster_guy

I think they like the flash of the spoons, Greg. With the stained water I'm sure it's pretty dark down there.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

T-Bone

Aren't you allowed to use 'dead bait' like herring or something? Must be purchased in Quebec? Have to retain receipt?

I don't know...lake trout fishing always seems like an awful lot of work to put yourself in any position (not necessarily the optimal position) to get a fish or two. Would be interesting to know what the "water hours per fish ratio" is for lake trout fishing on Kipawa...or anywhere south of the 60th parallel really. I'd bet it's fractional per hour. I guess you could measure your ability / success by calculating your ratio...if you're over one you're doing a good job...higher means you're starting to get it, when you get to 4+ you're a master.

Couple of the guys in my group typically will try for lakers when we go in late-July, but I've never seen one caught since 2001. I would never tell them "I told you so"...but they can probably read that through the grin on my face when they walk into the cabin frustrated. But then again, any time in the boat with a cooler of cold refreshments and the Kipawa palette all around you  is a good time...

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Ozzy30

I have shared my technique with a few members on how I catch the Lakers at Kipawa using the dipsey divers and wordens wobbler.  Greg have you tried Audoin for the lakers before we caught a 67 cm last year and 4 that were just over 63 cm.  I'm not sure if I could post my setup pictures but I can send pictures hopefully with PM or email.   The keeper limit is 65 cm now also.

RHYBAK

T-Bone
The laws have change....NO BAIT

I know the focus of this question was to use while drifting.

When up in June, I know the thermocline should be around 20Feet Deep.
I troll with a deep diving Rapala . I just flat line with Braid.
Letting out about 15- feet of line puts me into the 25 foot range which always gets me a few lakers during my week on Kipawa.
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

T-Bone

Quote from: RHYBAK on June 21, 2018, 01:03:43 PM
T-Bone
The laws have change....NO BAIT

I don't believe you. I do believe you are blinded by the fact you leave in less than 24-hours to take the first crack at Kipawa between us. And we always know who wins the match...the guy that lands the last punch.  ;)

Back to the topic...maybe you're right...like they were phasing out it's use over the past several years...and now it's prohibited in any form.

No matter to me...I use 'erms or leeches when jiggin' up those pesky 'eyes. Laker...I just let them swim and get bigger....

Thermocline's that shallow, hmmm...

Still 36...
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Greg

I agree Puckster - flash of spoon gets attention that deep in dark waters... chrome, copper/gold colour and a little something else (orange or even a little bright blue) helps.

T-Bone - worms and leeches is all you can use now - RHYBAK is correct - even though we are all jealous he is about to hit the Kipawa waters ahead of us!!!  They banned bait fish/game fish long ago (like pearch) and banned minnows (a few years ago, the laws were they must be frozen and must have receipt that proves they were purchased in Quebec on-board).

Stay safe RHYBAK - enjoy your trip, looking forward to your trip report... and also... to everyone, stay legal (I imagine nothing sours a good fishing trip like an unfortunate fine).

Greg

PETERBFLY

Thanks everyone.  Guess that rules out bait fishing for us then.  I can catch em good trolling lead line, so I will just stick with that.  Appreciate all the info everyone. 
Live to Hunt and Fish.. Work to pay for both..