Two Moon Lodge June 23-30

Started by BigChief, July 04, 2018, 04:00:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigChief

Sorry for the late submission but have been pretty busy since we returned.
We left on Friday for our trip to the great north and stayed over in Barrie. Also did the same on the return due to the impending 90 degree weather and the Canada Day traffic.
This was my first trip with my 8 year old daughter and she loved it. I was a little worried that it would be a little to rustic for her but Dave and Julie run a great camp and made her feel at home.

Now on to the fishing:
- Upon arrival the water temp was 68 but quickly dropped to 64 by Monday with some cooler weather. But it made it back up to 72 with the heat we had throughout the rest of the week.
- We fished our known spots from all of our years at TBL and found some new ones closer to TML. And would like to continue to learn the lake down that way more. I'm sure we ran into @50fish and @10ring at some point. We were the ones in the Blue Pontoon. Hope we didn't get in your way too much.
- For us the majority of the week the fish were back in the bays. We fished in 10-12 feet of water with Slip Bobbers set at about 9 feet. We definitely caught the majority on leeches with a few on crawlers when we ran out of leeches. The evening bite really turned on about 830 and usually lasted for about an hour. The morning bite turned off around 730.
- We only had one morning of some overcast weather and the wind was never really right for our normal drift fishing spots.
- Overall our boat of 3 and 1/2(my daughter didn't fish 100% of the time but was a great net girl and leech getter) boated over 120 walleye. With 23, 23.5 and 26 inches as the biggest all caught by me. We had many in the 19-20 inch range. And I can count on one had the number of fish under the slot that we had, which tells me the slots are working. We also threw back most in the 15-16 range and only kept the 17-20's. And we brought 24 home so we were good to go.
- For other species we caught around 20 bass or so with my daughter catching the biggest at 19. We did not hook into any pike, which I need to get better at as my son really wants to start targeting them more. So any advice on lures and locations would be greatly appreciated.

It was by far the best week of overall weather we have ever had while at Kipawa, not so much as a drop of rain. Albeit may not have been the best fishing weather since we never really had any overcast days. The weather following our week looked pretty bad with the heat. I expect it will move the fish out of the bays and into cooler water. And the Black Flies were the worst we have ever had but the skeeters were the best we have ever had. We had very few bites. Unless the thermocells work better than I ever imagined, as I kept one at each end of the boat when it started to get dark..
Lastly Dave and Julie run a great camp and will definitely go back. And I think I may have to now as Yves gave me the stink eye when he saw us at TBL the day we went to Temiscaming to refuel.

If anyone would like to check out TML or see my daughter's special guest fishing report check out the link below. She is in the first pic with Kip and our group is the second pic with our last 6 eyes to fill out our take home fish.

http://wildernessadventurelodge.com/?p=1348

Greg

Congrats on a great trip BigChief - another great report with lots of fishing success!

And fantastic that your daughter accompanied you and had a great trip as well - fantastic memories!

Greg

RHYBAK

Good Report
Thanks for sharing.
Yes, your daughter is a good sport to be able to sit on that pontoon boat with all of that cigar smoke all atound her.
Her netting must of improved greatly after that first night in Smith Bay.

I was the Grey Lund parked next to you .
Nice to see you had fun.
Lots of water to explore in that part of the lake
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Jay Thomas

Enjoyed your report. Thanks for sharing.

Jay

T-Bone

Great report and nice story in the middle of it...nice going. Thanks so much.
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

BigChief

@RHYBAK that's good to know that it was you guys. You looked like you didn't do too bad. My son caught 3 20 inchers there that night.

Hodgey1

Enjoyed the report, sounds like a great trip. Is your daughter hooked now?
Walleye Rock!

Oarin

Great to see kids enjoying the outdoors and not with the electronics. Way to go Brenna!

RHYBAK

Quote from: BigChief on July 04, 2018, 11:41:03 PM
@RHYBAK that's good to know that it was you guys. You looked like you didn't do too bad. My son caught 3 20 inchers there that night.
I saw that.
You guys were doing very well in that stump pile
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

PETERBFLY

You coming back to Two Moon again next year?  We will be there the same week. We are booked June 22-29.   Be happy to help you catch some Pike.  We do pretty good with them and the Lakers every year. 
I was the guy who gave you the racket in the fish hut that night incase you were wondering who I was.
Pete
Live to Hunt and Fish.. Work to pay for both..

BigChief

@Oarin and @Hodgey1 my daughter is definitely hooked. Just hope it sticks when she becomes a teenager.

@PETERBFLY I will definitely take you up on the pike tutorial if we are up that week. Right now I am waiting to see what my military schedule will be like. I may not be able to make it up at all, unfortunately. Will ping you if we schedule for that week.