News:

Upgraded to SMF 2.1.4
We hope you like the new look and feel!

Main Menu

Dumoine July 1-6 2018

Started by Jig and drift, July 10, 2018, 09:22:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jig and drift

Well another trip has come and gone. The build up, packing, driving into the unknown, and the wonder what this year will bring. This was my 25 th year to Dumoine and it did not fail. Four of us made the journey this year. My brother-in-law who has been going way longer than I my wife and our oldest son who made a return after a couple of years off due to work. The drive north was really easy this year. We always go up on a Sunday to be opposite of traffic but with it being Canada Day weekend there was even less traffic. After the duty free we crossed the Peace Bridge to find a 2 car average at each gate. 5 minutes later we are in country. Rest of the trip was super smooth even the QEW which is always crowded. Once we got past Barrie it was us and 3 other vehicles most of the way. Hit North Bay and the chicken place right on the corner as you enter town, not bad, and then on to Temiscaming and Bercail and 102 Stop for license and additional beverages.  Breakfast at the greasy spoon at 7 and logging road by 8. Maniwaki was great and the new Red Pine is going to be amazing. Little rough right now but it will be nice. They were working on the north end past the bridge on the way out. Very impressive project.  Arrived at Dumoine shortly after 10 unloaded and reloaded and across the lake to cabin 3.  Now we where well aware of the heat predicted for the week and it did not fail. Man was it hot and those cabins are not built for cooling ventilation. Prize of the trip were 4 small battery fans we put in the windows to pull cool air in, really made a difference. Due to the heat fishing was slow at times but when they were on it was very good. Size was great this year for take homes. The 20-22 inchers just kept coming in the boat. For the week we had a 25 and a 24 inch and lots of little guys that hopefully just keep growing. Usually jig but had to troll way more just because of the calm and heat but my son was killing it on the smaller sized silver and black hot n tot .  Found a couple new spots and a few old ones also paid off. Eric and Jamie are great hosts and all was in good shape. Had a great time, took our limit home and the drive back to Ohio was equally uneventful. The heat was the real story but lots of water and some mid day down time helped. We ate well due to my wife's great cooking under cabin conditions but she plans ahead and it worked. Even the mice were not as dominate this year as in the past. Looking ahead to next year already.

Greg

Fantastic - another successful trip....  wow, the heat ...everywhere...

Greg  (...4 more days)

Oarin

Thanks for the report! The hot weather is tough to take, but at least the fish cooperated. Sounds like you had a fun trip.

Jay Thomas

Thanks for your trip report. Do you typically do most of your fishing near cabin 3 or do you have to move about the lake looking for spots? Is there a maximum harvest length limit for walleye in Lac Dumoine?

Jay

Jig and drift

We do fish the south end of the lake the most which is why we started staying at 3. There are a lot of islands and points we like to hit down that end.  We use to go in June and stayed up north at 5. So overall we fish the south the most. Made one morning trip north which takes about 20 -25 minutes depending on lake conditions. It was a good move to fish up there that morning though so worth the ride. Dumoine is an exclusive rights lake so anything over 14 inches is good but we throw back the big boys for the good of the lake. The 25 in.   5.2 lbs was my best this year but my younger boy caught a 26.5 and 6.5lbs couple years ago.  Could keep them if you wanted but the last few years we have not kept the larger ones. Guy at cabin 6 caught a 26 in. while we were there I was told.

Jay Thomas

Quote from: Jig and drift on July 10, 2018, 04:16:57 PM
We do fish the south end of the lake the most which is why we started staying at 3. There are a lot of islands and points we like to hit down that end.  We use to go in June and stayed up north at 5. So overall we fish the south the most. Made one morning trip north which takes about 20 -25 minutes depending on lake conditions. It was a good move to fish up there that morning though so worth the ride. Dumoine is an exclusive rights lake so anything over 14 inches is good but we throw back the big boys for the good of the lake. The 25 in.   5.2 lbs was my best this year but my younger boy caught a 26.5 and 6.5lbs couple years ago.  Could keep them if you wanted but the last few years we have not kept the larger ones. Guy at cabin 6 caught a 26 in. while we were there I was told.

Thanks very much for your reply.

Jay

Jig and drift

bucknbull

Sounds like a great trip. Thanks for sharing. 10 days.....

T-Bone

Nice trip and report...thanks for posting. What part of Ohio are you from?

Have you ever ventured to the EB Eddy logging operation/complex up around Lac Dumoine? I saw a profile of that lake on the Wings Over Canada series many years ago and when he was on Dumoine he went to this vacated logging operation up around there. Lots of old buildings and equipment from a day gone by...I'm sure Eric knows about it.
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Jig and drift

T-bone we are west side of Cleveland folks. I have been up to the Dumoine depot but it was many years ago. Couple of old buildings . Some guys built a private camp right by it a few years back. It is at the south end of the lake by cabin 3.  Went in one  that was dark and dingy and lots of empty gin bottles. Was aware of some type of settlement there and know they have found all sorts of metal stuff and rock foundations in the woods. That part I have never seen personally. I will talk to Eric about it next year. Heard there was a tv episode on the lake but I have not seen it and looked on YouTube but no luck. Would really like to see it.

T-Bone

Thanks @Jig and drift . Here's the link to where you can get that episode on DVD. The link is for a set of all Quebec shows...including the 'Lost Lake' episode where the host launches from Bucher's store and flies into a small lake next to Lac Ostaboningue...my favorite episode by far. I think the kids got me several of these for Christmas once...I have Kipawa Bush/Lost Lake, Lac Dumoine, Land of Little Sticks/Scott Lake, Hermit of Alpine Lake, Red Lake, Ontario...and one or two more. Good stuff. Simple television...

http://www.wingsovercanada.ca/catalog.html#Quebec

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Jig and drift

Thanks T-bone.   Sorry I had been away a bit.