News:

Upgraded to SMF 2.1.4
We hope you like the new look and feel!

Main Menu

Cleaning walleye

Started by Hodgey1, July 11, 2018, 04:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hodgey1

I saw a Video post here once of someone cleaning a walleye with an electric knife in a short period of time. I searched unsuccessfully. My recollection was it was Regi from Two Moons? Anyone have a link to it?
Walleye Rock!

JigginFool

Hodgey1

Walleye Rock!

limacharley

I just might have to get an electric fillet knife.
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

Hodgey1

Quote from: limacharley on July 12, 2018, 08:15:15 AM
I just might have to get an electric fillet knife.

Me also LC. That is impressive.
Walleye Rock!

limacharley

One downfall of the "portefeuille" filleting method for cleaning walleye is you don't get to harvest the wings.
Everybody is a genius.
- Albert Einstein

crackers42

I find you don't have as much feel with an electric knife and may be the odd bone especially down the back left in.

Sharp knife will clean them just as fast.

Jay Thomas

Quote from: limacharley on July 12, 2018, 10:40:41 AM
One downfall of the "portefeuille" filleting method for cleaning walleye is you don't get to harvest the wings.

Hi limacharley,

For anyone inclined to save the walleye wings, I believe it's quite possible to cut out the walleye wings first and then clean the rest of walleye as required by the regulations (leaving the pectoral fin attached). Here's a video showing how it's done leaving the pectoral fin intact - see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ino6fZQVHzE.

Jay

Hodgey1

wow, that guys good also. He must keep his knives razor sharp.
Walleye Rock!

limacharley

Thanks Jay; I'll try that from now on.
Everybody is a genius.
- Albert Einstein

RHYBAK

Yep
First thing I cut off are the wings, then I move on from there
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

ziggy6

Love my electric knife..Highly recommend it.   I have the battery powered one only issue was that this year I found it didnt hold the charge ( 2 years old) so will be looking for a new battery.   

Hodgey1

Quote from: ziggy6 on July 13, 2018, 09:08:55 PM
Love my electric knife..Highly recommend it.   I have the battery powered one only issue was that this year I found it didnt hold the charge ( 2 years old) so will be looking for a new battery.

What kind is it?
Walleye Rock!

Hodgey1

One of my biggest frustrations filleting walleye is trying to salvage as much meat as possible from removing the ribs. What are most doing? Painstakingly carving filet from ribs, or saying he’ll with that tiny morsel and cutting ribs with meat off?

I’ve been carving the meat off the ribs for years, yesterday I tried the remove filet with rib bones attached method then carve ribs off fillet. Both seem the same pain in the ars and leaving very little meat to show for the extra effort .
Walleye Rock!

puckster_guy

I don't eat many fish. Far too much work involved. I'd much rather toss them back and bbq a nice steak. I will clean a mess of fish for a fry for guests if asked but personally it's mostly catch  and release.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)