Northern Pike

Started by Hodgey1, July 20, 2018, 04:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hodgey1

I caught a 33” pike last year at Alwaki while jigging for walleye, it was a beauty.  I have never targeted the monsters. What’s  a guy got to do, to target Pike and best chances to catch a few? Are there any particular spots around Alwaki that someone might share, along with advice on tackle.

Can you troll for Pike and be successful? I will have trolling rods with me that currently have 20lb fluorocarbon.

I was surprised how good it was to eat!
Walleye Rock!

T-Bone

Trolling yes. Jigging yes. Chucking spoons and inlines...yes...but don’t you be following me and Mattie around... :o
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

puckster_guy

I got 2 smallish pike yesterday evening. Trolling past a point using a chrome and blue crankbait down about 6 feet in 15 feet of water. Troll larger baits if your targeting Pike. They are everywhere.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Mattie

When you see me fishing from the docks at Alwaki  in the middle of the afternoon because I can't sit still that's what I'm doing.I really do catch them.(smaller ones) I really do believe they are everywhere as previously stated. I also believe that if you are casting spoons or whatnot in a spot you think holds them you have to move around. Its proven me well for my larger fish. It seems like my numbers go up every year.

chiaro

Now the trophy ones...don't be keeping them, they don't taste as good. The trophy ones this time of year will set up on weather events...think wind and think water trying to get through a choke point. If you see current they will be sitting pretty outside of the current waiting for delivery. Cast up current and bring er down. This time of year the other place they will be is in larger areas of relatively shallow water with a drop off near by say 10-12 ft range...especially with weed beds or large submerged boulders. That will be more when the sun is slanted.