Grease bearing Buddy

Started by Hodgey1, July 22, 2018, 09:45:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hodgey1

Hmm, I purchased my boat/trailer last August, both are 2013 model. I was reading on another forum about people over greasing their bearing buddies on the trailer axles. I was told to fill with grease till spring cup stops coming outward and that’s what I did.Reading on the other Forum, they’re suggesting that you only put a couple pumps of grease so that spring loaded piston is just off its seat? If that’s true mine are way over full?

Anyone here have knowledge, please reply.
Walleye Rock!

smitty55

Hodgey if they are genuine BB I would just go with the manufactures recommendations. You shouldn't be able to over grease them as they have a pressure relief valve, but they call for 1/8"of movement. https://www.bearingbuddy.com/how-bb-works

Cheers

SgtCrabby

As smitty55 says.

Mine does not have a spring cup, so if I put a little to much in, I'll blow out the grease seal on the inside. Probably the type the other forum is referencing. 
Sure wish I had known that before learning the hard way.

Hodgey1

The boots say genuine Bearing Buddy. So as long as there is some play I should be ok? I hope :-\
Walleye Rock!

JMB

I used them for 25 years and never needed new bearings or raceways.  I filled them till the pressure plate was all the way out and a little grease seeped out.  Wipe off the extra grease or it will fly out onto your trailer wheels and covers. After a while you will get familiar with how the pressure plate looks when it is full. I greased up with marine grease just about every time I planned to trailer a long distance. I also checked the pressure in my spare tire from time to time and always checked my trailer tire pressure before a trip. Under inflated tires will heat up and blow out on a hot day on the highway. Larger trailer tires and wheels also help because the don't spin as fast and heat up and take bumps and boat ramp problems better. More boat trailer is better than less trailer for traveling long distances and for longevity. Undersized trailers put more strain on everything like tires, rollers, bunks, springs, and winches.
May your travels always take you to where the water meets the shore.

Hodgey1

Good info JMB. I have them full and plan on leaving that way after reading on their site that they are designed to relieve pressure if too much. Coupled with your info, I feel I should be good.
Walleye Rock!

JMB

You are welcomed Hodgey and have a great trip.

I learned about trailer care when I got first boat years ago. Unfortunately some of the lessons were learned the hard way like getting a blow out on the way to vacation.  Changing a trailer tire on the side of a highway is not my idea of a good time. By the way it also helps to have a good quality tire jack and make sure your hitch safety chains are crossed and attached.

Hodgey1

Quote from: JMB on July 25, 2018, 07:58:41 AM
You are welcomed Hodgey and have a great trip.

I learned about trailer care when I got first boat years ago. Unfortunately some of the lessons were learned the hard way like getting a blow out on the way to vacation.  Changing a trailer tire on the side of a highway is not my idea of a good time. By the way it also helps to have a good quality tire jack and make sure your hitch safety chains are crossed and attached.
Thanks JMB! I'm ready to go. One more day
Walleye Rock!

JMB

Sweet ! You must be pumped with your new boat.

Hodgey1

Quote from: JMB on July 25, 2018, 05:45:52 PM
Sweet ! You must be pumped with your new boat.

Fired up and ready to go, Can't wait!
Walleye Rock!