TBL Outpost

Started by Oarin, July 23, 2018, 11:49:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oarin

Back from another fun week at the outpost with my son, Jon. Like Greg from Alwaki said, the weather was all over the place. The move into  the cabin was the toughest I've had. 88 degrees and humid. Jon did all the heavy lifting as I'm still recovering from surgery, but it still knocked the heck out of me. We got out for a little while on Saturday evening and Jon got 2 nice bass, but no walleyes. Sunday was hot and sunny again and we got our first walleye and a couple more nice bass. We were marking fish all over but they had lock jaw. Monday a violent thunderstorm came through in late afternoon and early evening and pretty much put going out on hold. We did manage about an hour at a spot that has been good and finally picked up our first walleyes. Tuesday was the day were used to. Great fishing, lots of nice walleyes and no bass! Wednesday and Thursday we got walleyes each day, but the weather had turned sunny and hot again and the bite was slower. Mike J and his son stopped by for a visit. Nice family. We kept the boy busy with our new A Salt Rifle shooting flies! Friday we packed up and headed home. It was an easy drive, even through Hamilton.

We had another great time. We only fished evenings, caught fish every day, and brought home our limit of nice walleyes. The only down sides were the hot and sunny weather and there was a camp fire ban because of the forest fires they had in the area. Oh, and we ate like Kings again. Jon is one heck of a cook. I'll put some random pictures at the end. Thanks, Hodgey, for the grill tip, it worked great!

Ozzy30

Glad you had a good week.  nice report.

Oarin

A few more thoughts and pictures. The outpost cabin is awesome. If you like peace and quiet it's the place to be! Yves has new 20 horse Suzuki motors that just fly. The mosquitoes were ungodly! The Therma Cells worked great. I put 4 out on the side deck each night and within 10 minutes the little vampires were gone and I was relaxing with a beer and cigar looking at the beautiful lake and star filled sky.. Black jigs worked best. Most fish were caught in about 20 feet with the bobber set at 14 feet. Pronature's leeches were fine. Thanks to Yves for letting us come in a day early and for the 2nd boat to transport our stuff. We're booked for next year and can't wait!

T-Bone

Thanks for the report @Oarin...sounds like a challenging week no matter where you were on the lake but you guys always seem to make the most of it...great pictures.

Been meaning to ask this to a TBL veteran like you for some time now; I know Tom Miller passed a few years ago and I wondered if Linda and their extended brood came up for their summer visit every year still? I always thought it was around mid-July. I had communicated with their son Mike many years ago, but we just fell out of touch.

Thanks again for the report...much appreciated.

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Oarin

Hi T-Bone. Linda was there for a 2 week stay. It was great seeing her again. The third flamingo is for Tom. We left it there this year because he loved Kipawa so much. Linda has had a hard time. Her son recently died on the same day that Tom did. I don't think she fishes anymore. She really misses Tom. I'm sure anyone who ever met him does too. Good luck and have a safe trip.

Oarin

Greg

Hi Oarin,

Great trip report, sounds like we had a similar week with the erratic weather patterns. 

Sorry I didn't get a chance to run up to see/meet you - time just gets away from you - and I didn't even get to try some of my favourite spots and try some new techniques and new tackle I bought. 

We did do a quick run to Laniel for our adventure day (some of us needed to get fully connected with emails so just turning your phone on in Laniel gets you full digital LTE network - my son even did some quick video conferences and showed people the dam and bridge live as we floated by).

That outpost cabin looks great... and so quiet I am sure... I love your flamingo tribute... very thoughtful and touching.

Cheers,
Greg

Hodgey1

Quote from: Oarin on July 23, 2018, 11:49:52 AMThanks, Hodgey, for the grill tip, it worked great!

Great to hear that you bought a Weber Q ! Hope you like it, we love ours!.

Sounds like you had a great trip, the food looks superb! Send Jon up to Alwaki next week so I don't have to cook so much.  :D
Walleye Rock!

Fort Wisers

Awesome report and pictures!
Going to have to make a trip to that end of the lake one of these days....
Thanks for sharing!

600 miles north

Hello Oarin, great seeing your pics again like always! Although my family isn't going to be making the trip to kipawa this year, I do plan on going up this September for a long weekend. Hope the hip is feeling better. I've been a little MIA here on the site lately, but I find it hard reading the site on my phone, and I am almost never on a computer. Hope all is well with everyone here on the discussion board. Cheers!

600 miles north is where I'd rather be
Brad
600 miles north is where I'd rather be!

Hodgey1

Quote from: 600 miles north on July 25, 2018, 07:12:29 AM
but I find it hard reading the site on my phone

Brad, not sure your tech situation, but I would highly recommend a tablet for internet viewing. My fav is the Ipad, its dumby proof. You don't have to spend a pile on the latest either, get one that's a models back one generation of the latest. You can also get them with built in wireless conductivity. I think its around $20 monthly to enable through your phone company. If you want to go that route, be sure to buy one with your prefered carriers modem built in.
Walleye Rock!

Jay Thomas

Glad to read that you and Jon had another great week at TBL's outpost camp. Thanks for the report and the great pics.

Jay

chiaro

Haven't seen a post that detailed from the outpost...thanks for sharing

Balsams

Always like to read your report Oarin. What tasty beer was Jon into this year? Years passed I've seen the Sleaman's...I wonder if he found Hockley Vally lager or Lost Craft premium lager?

Oarin

Hi Balsams, he went with Sleaman's again, but maybe he'll try your tips next year.