Old McKenzie Camp on Lac McLachlin

Started by wes, July 29, 2018, 04:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wes

Hi
Could anyone out there tell me if the old Mckenzie Camp on Lac McLachlin has reopened & what is the contact info

Thank you
     Wes

smitty55

I think Puckster mentioned something a while back that it had been sold and maybe something about it reopening. Not positive. I stayed there the last season they were in business, sort of. There was 6 of us in a cabin and some Americans in another cabin around the corner. No hosts at all, the cabin was brutal and needed to be ripped down. The outhouse was real nasty. At least the ice house was well stocked. If I recall there was only one cabin that sort of looked ok, so the new owners would have to lay out some serious cash to rebuild that place. Maybe they sold a part of it off to finance it. It's a prime spot on the lake, with two prominent main lake points facing each other on an abrupt change in direction for the waterway. And there are no lodges south of Kipawa Lodge so good luck to them.
Joe would be your best bet for sure I figure. He's there often and only two and half miles away. Have you fished that end of the lake before?

Cheers

puckster_guy

As far as I know The camp is shut down and not renting units. MY understanding is most of the cottages have been sold. The main lodge is still there. There is a nice current going between those point and a good spot. I often see boats parked there. Real good fishing on that end of the lake. I've been there often. I'll ask around I'm going up tomorrow for a week.

Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

crackers42

lots have been severed off and sold.

Even if there was cabins for rent I would not suggest it pretty tough shape.

I believe Corina (Kipawa Bait and Tackle) rents out her place (just down from myself) must nicer place of stay.

wes

I have been going up there for close to 40 yrs & fished in the Red Pine Chutes area (camping in the Long Narrows originally) for 30 of them & heard a rumour that someone bought the lodge & a couple of the cabins & was going to open again. I know the previous owner ran it down & the cabins were horrid & he sold off 2 or 3 of them & I know Corrinne has a place & rents it out but it is also for sale & if we were to rent it & she sold it we would be without a place to stay. Maybe should go back to taking a tent again lol.

Wes

crackers42

I believe where they rent out house boats (down between mungo and grindstone across from the sand islancds) they also rent out cabins about 30mile marker down the maniwaki on the left.

puckster_guy

This is what I got from a neighbour at camp. They are renting out a couple of cabins. The main lodge now has a liquor license I believe it's already open. I got some more investigating to do to find out more. Maybe I'll stop in.

Hodgey1

Hmm, Liquor license? I take it, it is accessible from a road?
Walleye Rock!

puckster_guy

nope water access only. I'd be curious to stop by and see for my self. Maybe on my next trip up.

Hodgey1

Quote from: puckster_guy on August 08, 2018, 09:02:43 PM
nope water access only. I'd be curious to stop by and see for my self. Maybe on my next trip up.

Can someone refresh me on navigating to Lac McLachlin from Alwaki, from a loosing a prop or outdrive standpoint and potential dangers? Also a rough est on time to get there.
Walleye Rock!

Greg

If I recall correctly...  leave Alwaki, head through the narrows into Hunter Lake, all the way across Hunters, past Kipawa lodge, through narrows (Butney?) into Grindstone and then head north... (someone else can confirm if this is correct?).. easily a good 45 minutes to an hour running at a good speed (I recall your boat has at least a 75hp or 90hp?)...

Bring a couple extra gas cans!   :)

I can recall that you are are safe at full speed if you stay in the middle, all the way into Grindstone - I have never been past that point so can't offer anything more.

Good luck, stay safe and I look forward to your trip report.

Greg

crackers42

run right down the middle the whole time (stay to the right when going through grindstone at the end) and you will be fine.

smitty55

Quote from: Hodgey1 on August 31, 2018, 09:35:31 AM
Quote from: puckster_guy on August 08, 2018, 09:02:43 PM

Can someone refresh me on navigating to Lac McLachlin from Alwaki, from a loosing a prop or outdrive standpoint and potential dangers? Also a rough est on time to get there.

Too late now Hodgey as you're already up there but here's the map I posted a while back with the run marked from Kipawa Lodge to McKenzie

Cheers